Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1 lens, 1 camera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 lens, 1 camera

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    When during the history of photography did the photographs become "good"? At what point did photographic technology evolve to allow great photographs to be made?

That is the paradox of technical quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Technical quality was superb early on. The DIFFICULTY of producing it has gotten vastly easier. No mercury, no cyanide - at least not for the photographer. But Mathew Brady's portrait of General Sherman remains one of the scariest photographs of all time.
    An original Daguerrotype from 1839-1840 has absolutely breathtaking quality. It's simply small and toxic to produce.

G

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    An original Daguerrotype from 1839-1840 has absolutely breathtaking quality. It's simply small and toxic to produce.

G
    I have made tintypes. They have NO visible grain. Completely lens-limited detail. On the other hand, they're ISO 0.5, have about 3 stops of DR, have to be developed within minutes of exposure, and the lacquering process captures dust permanently.

Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    I have made tintypes. They have NO visible grain. Completely lens-limited detail. On the other hand, they're ISO 0.5, have about 3 stops of DR, have to be developed within minutes of exposure, and the lacquering process captures dust permanently.

Matt
    ... And that's all part of the aesthetic appreciation for the tintype.
    Cameras today are so easy to use...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously there have to be options, so Iím looking at whatís available to me;
    Version 1, I want to learn more, single focal length: that would be the Z7 with a 50mm, fitting with the forum
    Version 2, what I have most fun with, slow and great X1D II with a 90mm, love the simplicity and output
    Version 3, can do everything with a zoom, for HQ H6 with the 35-90 or Speed and versatility D850 with 24-70

And in the left field, aka stranded on an island with a laptop and photoshop, Z7 with 24-70 2.8...

So, to make this short, I donít know, i loveím all I guess.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, there's another possibility that I just ran into when cleaning up around my desk in the office...

I'd forgotten my Light L16. About the size of a big cell phone, 50 megapixels, near medium-format digital quality, with a 16 camera array that nets 28 to 150mm eqFOV imaging. And you can do 70% of the image processing capable with its native desktop application from raw captures in-camera, output the finished product directly to Flickr.com.
    I wrote this two weeks ago. I've been recovering from shoulder surgery and unable to hold a camera steadily to my eye. Spying the L16 unused for over a year made me think, "hmm, can I work with that while my arm is weak?" So I pulled it out, charged it up, updated the Lumen app, and have been shooting with it exclusively for the past week and and a little.

And I have to say: It's not perfect by any means, but once I re-acquainted myself with how to get what I want out of it, it is a remarkable camera that can create excellent photographs while all the while being compact, light, and easy to handle ... and versatile to boot. I find I'm making a lot of satisfying photographs with it.

Certainly not a tool for every picture taking circumstance, but as a "one camera, one lens" option, it's cutting pretty good marks.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly not a tool for every picture taking circumstance, but as a "one camera, one lens" option, it's cutting pretty good marks.
    Doesn't the L16 actually have 16 lenses

Sorry, couldn't resist, it's tongue in cheek

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Doesn't the L16 actually have 16 lenses

Sorry, couldn't resist, it's tongue in cheek
    LOL!
    It's even worse: The L16 is a coordinated assembly of 16 separate cameras.

However, they all work together to create a single image every time you press the shutter release, so in the end it's one camera and one zoom lens, effectively.

Light L16 in its carry case next to keys. Total weight: 453g (1lb).

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post