The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1 lens, 1 camera

Paratom

Okay, some quarantine fun. You can only have one camera body of any kind, and one lens of any kind to use for the next 300 days. The only caveat is the lens has to be able to mount to your chosen camera. Everybody can play. (I just put it in the Nikon section because that's where I tend to hang out most ;) )

My chosen body is the Z7. My lens choice remains under consideration, but probably a 50 prime :D
Q2. I really like it and the resolution allows to crop a bit when needed.

iiiNelson

Honestly I could probably “settle” for a M10 variant of some sort and a 35mm Summicron V5. Probably my favorite all around desert island lens that I could realistically use for anything.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Q2. I really like it and the resolution allows to crop a bit when needed.
Yeah but... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I just bought a fellow GetDPI-er's 24-70/2.8S lens. If it is even just a wee bit better than the f4, it may just make the cut for my "one lens..." :shocked::shocked::shocked:

tcdeveau

Yeah but... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I just bought a fellow GetDPI-er's 24-70/2.8S lens. If it is even just a wee bit better than the f4, it may just make the cut for my "one lens..." :shocked::shocked::shocked:
Congrats! It's currently my own "one lens"....if I was forced to stick with one camera and lens today from stuff in my current stable, it'd be the Z6 and 24-70 2.8S.

My only frustration with the setup is I do have trouble with focus tracking in continuous AF mode. When our toddler runs toward the camera indoors I'm lucky if one or two shots come out. Maybe it's user error and I need to tweak the settings more? It does better outside with more light so my own theory is that particular AF mode might just be light hungry.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Congrats! It's currently my own "one lens"....if I was forced to stick with one camera and lens today from stuff in my current stable, it'd be the Z6 and 24-70 2.8S.

My only frustration with the setup is I do have trouble with focus tracking in continuous AF mode. When our toddler runs toward the camera indoors I'm lucky if one or two shots come out. Maybe it's user error and I need to tweak the settings more? It does better outside with more light so my own theory is that particular AF mode might just be light hungry.
Do you have the latest FW update? It made a HUGE improvement to AF tracking, especially people. But you need to completely understand how to use it! Once you have Auto AF selected, you need to also have set one of your Fn buttons to AF-tracking lock -- you press this with the moving boxes are over your intended subject to let the camera know which subject you want it tracking; and now if you have also selected "people eye tracking" priority, I find it does an AMAZINGLY good job tracking even running children. (Actually, I find if I leave it in animal eye tracking mode, it does about as good or possibly even better job on people than people eye.) Google Nikon Z af settings, and there are a couple of excellent uTube videos on setting it up properly with the newest FW.

tcdeveau

Do you have the latest FW update? It made a HUGE improvement to AF tracking, especially people. But you need to completely understand how to use it! Once you have Auto AF selected, you need to also have set one of your Fn buttons to AF-tracking lock -- you press this with the moving boxes are over your intended subject to let the camera know which subject you want it tracking; and now if you have also selected "people eye tracking" priority, I find it does an AMAZINGLY good job tracking even running children. (Actually, I find if I leave it in animal eye tracking mode, it does about as good or possibly even better job on people than people eye.) Google Nikon Z af settings, and there are a couple of excellent uTube videos on setting it up properly with the newest FW.
Thanks for the suggestions Jack. I’m currently at 3.00 and 1.00 for the camera and lens, respectively. I might be an update behind. I’ll look into your other recs too and some videos.

Godfrey

I've been thinking about this notion again...

Once upon a time (in 2002), I sold all of my Leica and other gear in exchange for a Hasselblad 903SWC and used that alone until I bought my first "real" digital camera, a 5Mpixel Sony F707.

On reflection, I could probably do the same today with the Hasselblad 907x and XCD 21mm lens, albeit that I think the 45mm or 30mm would possibly be a better choice now.

It's not likely to happen... I'll sneak a Polaroid SLR670x and a Minox C into the bag no matter what. :ROTFL:

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Luddite :)

Truth -- you and I are both Luddite's. I fondly recall making stellar images with my F3HP on a sensor referred to as Kodachrome, later Velvia, a little later, Provia... Times change, life moves, our dreams not so much :) Life is good.

Shashin

When during the history of photography did the photographs become "good"? At what point did photographic technology evolve to allow great photographs to be made?

That is the paradox of technical quality.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
When during the history of photography did the photographs become "good"? At what point did photographic technology evolve to allow great photographs to be made?

Technical quality was superb early on. The DIFFICULTY of producing it has gotten vastly easier. No mercury, no cyanide - at least not for the photographer. But Mathew Brady's portrait of General Sherman remains one of the scariest photographs of all time.

Godfrey

Technical quality was superb early on. The DIFFICULTY of producing it has gotten vastly easier. No mercury, no cyanide - at least not for the photographer. But Mathew Brady's portrait of General Sherman remains one of the scariest photographs of all time.
An original Daguerrotype from 1839-1840 has absolutely breathtaking quality. It's simply small and toxic to produce. :D

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
An original Daguerrotype from 1839-1840 has absolutely breathtaking quality. It's simply small and toxic to produce. :D

G
I have made tintypes. They have NO visible grain. Completely lens-limited detail. On the other hand, they're ISO 0.5, have about 3 stops of DR, have to be developed within minutes of exposure, and the lacquering process captures dust permanently.

:grin:

Matt

Godfrey

I have made tintypes. They have NO visible grain. Completely lens-limited detail. On the other hand, they're ISO 0.5, have about 3 stops of DR, have to be developed within minutes of exposure, and the lacquering process captures dust permanently.

:grin:

Matt
... And that's all part of the aesthetic appreciation for the tintype. :thumbup:
Cameras today are so easy to use...

G

msstudio

Obviously there have to be options, so I’m looking at what’s available to me;
Version 1, I want to learn more, single focal length: that would be the Z7 with a 50mm, fitting with the forum
Version 2, what I have most fun with, slow and great X1D II with a 90mm, love the simplicity and output
Version 3, can do everything with a zoom, for HQ H6 with the 35-90 or Speed and versatility D850 with 24-70

And in the left field, aka stranded on an island with a laptop and photoshop, Z7 with 24-70 2.8...

So, to make this short, I don’t know, i love’m all I guess.

Godfrey

Of course, there's another possibility that I just ran into when cleaning up around my desk in the office...

I'd forgotten my Light L16. About the size of a big cell phone, 50 megapixels, near medium-format digital quality, with a 16 camera array that nets 28 to 150mm eqFOV imaging. And you can do 70% of the image processing capable with its native desktop application from raw captures in-camera, output the finished product directly to Flickr.com.
I wrote this two weeks ago. I've been recovering from shoulder surgery and unable to hold a camera steadily to my eye. Spying the L16 unused for over a year made me think, "hmm, can I work with that while my arm is weak?" So I pulled it out, charged it up, updated the Lumen app, and have been shooting with it exclusively for the past week and and a little.

And I have to say: It's not perfect by any means, but once I re-acquainted myself with how to get what I want out of it, it is a remarkable camera that can create excellent photographs while all the while being compact, light, and easy to handle ... and versatile to boot. I find I'm making a lot of satisfying photographs with it.

Certainly not a tool for every picture taking circumstance, but as a "one camera, one lens" option, it's cutting pretty good marks. :D

G

pegelli

Certainly not a tool for every picture taking circumstance, but as a "one camera, one lens" option, it's cutting pretty good marks. :D
Doesn't the L16 actually have 16 lenses :confused:

Sorry, couldn't resist, it's tongue in cheek

Godfrey

Doesn't the L16 actually have 16 lenses :confused:

Sorry, couldn't resist, it's tongue in cheek
LOL!
It's even worse: The L16 is a coordinated assembly of 16 separate cameras. :D

However, they all work together to create a single image every time you press the shutter release, so in the end it's one camera and one zoom lens, effectively. :thumbup:

Light L16 in its carry case next to keys. Total weight: 453g (1lb).

G

biglouis

Ricoh GRIII - and the good thing is the lens is permanently attached.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here comes my real world example, what I'm mostly going to use in the near future and why:

What:
Panasonic GX8 and Panasonic Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0.

Why:
GX8
- I already own two bodies
- Viewfinder is excellent
- Ergonomics are excellent
- Image quality is good
- Form factor is practical (box shape, no protrusions other than a modest but good grip)
- Has IBIS except for video
- Reasonable size and weight

PL 12-60mm
- My pusher has a -30% promotion on that lens
- Optical qualities are excellent
- Suitable reach for almost anything (24-120mm eqv.)
- Near focusing to 0.3x enlargement, which is as close as I currently need
- Compact size, low weight
- Enables me to sell my Zuiko 12-40mm and PL 45mm macro
- Saves me from buying a 35-100mm that was on the shopping list
- Gives me IS for video and dual IS for stills

I'm in the middle of a major house cleaning operation. Instead of the normal "Nah... that won't bring in much money. Better keep it in case I need it in the future." and "This camera is getting a bit worn. Better buy a newer, better and more expensive one before it falls apart.", I've made a spreadsheet that lists all that I don't use enough and should sell, with a shocking sum at the bottom, and I've sent one of the GX8 bodies to Panasonic for overhaul.

I will end up with more than one camera and one lens, but I'm ending up with two bodies, three zooms (7-14, 12-60 and 100-300) and two primes (25 and 45) plus some cheap backup zooms and a Nikon F80 with a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF and 300mm f/4 AF for film photography. I might also keep one Fuji GX680 IIIs with a portrait and a normal lens, medium format film for portrait photography. I have enough film for a few years anyway. The GX680 plus 180mm f/3.2 would actually be a good candidate for "One camera one lens", but it's a hungry creature that gives me only 9 frames per roll of film.

biglouis

Here comes my real world example, what I'm mostly going to use in the near future and why:

What:
Panasonic GX8 and Panasonic Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0.
Good choice. I can relate. If it wasn't for that damn DFD and its poor performance for birding, I'd still be shooting mine. Especially nice with the Oly 7-14 for architecture. Great sensor, comfortable body and great lens.

LouisB