The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some Z6 questions

biglouis

I am once again thinking seriously about a Z6+FTZ adapter+Nikkor 500m PF for bird photography (this despite the recent Canon announcements). The real draw is the 500pf which I have liked the look of since it was launched. They are now in decent supply and I can get one if I want it.

However, I have a question about the Z6 which I can't seem to find the answer to.

For some wildlife (e.g. foxes) I need to use absolutely silent shutter, e.g. electronic with no noise (I can do this on my Fuji X-T3, for example). Foxes really are so sensitive that I cannot use any shutter sound when I am near them. Does the Z6 have a silent shutter in electronic mode and in daylight are there any issues with banding etc using electronic shutter?

I can't quite understand the VR issues I have read about, e.g. using the VR on a PF with the IBIS. Is the blurry image issue still and issue with the latest firmware? Is it even an issue? I sometimes have to shoot down to 1/100 at f5.6 or smaller aperture in low light with foxes so should I be worried about the reported blurring at low speeds with the VR/IBIS?

Does anyone have any experience with the animal eye AF and does it work? More of a nice to have than an absolute necessity but I was not aware that the latest firmware for the camera supports it.

Is the 24-70 f4 worth having if I get it in a bundle? I'm figuring I might as well have some other lens so I can always use the camera as a second camera, even though I'm primarily using it for wildlife.

I'm thoroughly confused about XQD and CF Express??? What exactly should I be using for stills (I never do video).

Thanks for the patience of those who feel they can provide me with answers!

Louis

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
First, I have the Z7 so that is what my comments will be based on, but suspect the Z6 is similar in all respects.

Silent shutter: Yes. Several reports that it can add noise or cause an occasional odd blurring, but I have not seen any. But then full disclosure is I don't use it very much.

VR: I do not have the 500 PF lens, so cannot comment directly. But I can say that IBIS combined with lens VR improved significantly with the 3.0 firmware and I have no issues with my EF+FTZ lenses. You do want to add the latest FW to your FTZ mount, which you can update through the camera.

Animal eye: works supremely well on my cam. Watch the online Utube to understand how to properly implement and utilize -- you need to lock auto AF onto your desired subject first, then auto eye tracking takes over. (I leave mine on animal and it seems to work just fine with humans too.)

24-70 kit lens: Quite a good performer, as good or better than the current EF 24-70/2.8 VR. That said, the Z 2.8 version is another level up from that. (Edit: I have my copy of the 24-70/4 listed for sale at $475 *in case* that might work to your advantage over a bundle.)

XQD vs CFe: Same form factor, different connection protocols and as of now require different card readers or a newer cross-compatible reader. You need latest FW in your Z body to use CFe. I've used XQD from the get-go and am very happy with the performance and see no reason to change over. Far superior performance to SD or old CF. You will be fine with either, but I would not use both concurrently.

Battery: You did not specifically mention it, so I will. Battery use is a little higher on the Z cams. I can get about 700 to 800 on a single charge and I chimp a fair amount. Point here is I suspect that could be cut in half driving the larger PF lens. I carry 2 spares but have only ever needed one. FWIW...

pegelli

I understand that banding with silent shutter is mainly an artificial light phenomena, as the light cycles with 50 Hz (Europe) or 60 Hz (US) during the ~1/16th of a second it takes to read out the shutter from one side to the other. With natural light this is not a problem.

But in case the fox moves you can get a bit of "rolling shutter/distorted subject" effect since one side of the frame is exposed ~1/16th of a second earlier than the other end. If you're subject is not moving it should work OK.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'd consider the Z7, mainly because the higher resolution would give you plenty of leeway for digital zooming. Whatever crop you set the camera to the viewfinder reflects that, which helps framing. I'm not familiar with the 500PF, but with the 300PF extenders just don't work well. Highlights get very glary and texture free, like the camera set the whitepoint crazy low. White small subjects, like an Egret, will flare insanely. It's really not usable IMO. Much better to set the camera to a DX size frame. The 500PF might be better, but I wouldn't count on it.

paladin

Good day to all. I'm the new kid on the block here and have been shooting for more then a few years "industrially" and also because i just plain like it. i use 4 different bodies and i'm an all zoom user. I'm currently having a grand time (2 years in) using the Z6 along with the 14-30/4, 24-70/4 (also a darn good close up lens in itself), and w/FTZ 70-200/2.8E. that is my general kit for about 90% of my needs.

- on the subject of XQD and CFexp B: as was said same form factor. essentially CFexpressB is the the newest rendition of eventually replacing XQD which isn't going just anywhere yet. thanks to the CFA (the Compact Flash Association) steering committee CFexp did not have an illustrious start there were a few issues with a few manufacturers making cards that really didn't work well. so much for consistancy so if one chooses to go the CFexp route check with with your camera makers A list of cards. i havent found a XQD card that hasn't work. but consider that there are limited sources too. CFexpB rated speeds are not going to be the same on any of the D and Z Nikons but should be near equivalent to XQD which is faster then the next fasted claimed card. card sizes: don't know why but most out in the wild CFexpB cards are utterly ridiculous sizes. but there are ones that are in the 64GB range. i have 9 XQD cards 2/25GB (~640 14b raw) 6/64GB (~1.3K 14b RAW) 1/120GB (~2.1K 14b raw). there is one little addendum for those of us that have D bodies that initially supported XQD D500 D850 D5. Nikon had promised to update the FW on these models so there would be full interop between the 2 cards i was going on about. well that hasn't happened. the Z6 with current FW does but there have been those tales off woe stick with the ones on the Nikon list.

24-70/4 at full and at full close up
_DS64554_DxO-X2.jpg_DS64202_DxO-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Bugleone

Paladin,......Have you tried large prints from your Z6/lenses yet? What size of prints are possible? and how do they compare to APS-C 24mil cameras?

paladin

the largest prints i do home are 22x17. for my work for the NPS they have gone considerably larger with their hardware. i have no real issues printing 22x17 from my D7200.