The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

16-85mm VR FX equivalent..?

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Sorry if this has been discussed ad naueum in other forums, but haven't seen it here lately at least. Currently have a great DX setup in the 16-85mmVR and either 55-200mm VR or the longer 70-300VR for the longer ends of things. My question is simply does the lens in question, i.e. a equivalent lens to the DX 16-85 exist. I currently use the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, which is a fine lens but with the D700, I could give up the 2.8 max aperture, for more range, but do not want to schlepp around the 24-70mm zoom. I would use this for travel/landscape stuff, VR would be a big help being over 50 also...Thanks, just looking for thoughts and reviewing my options to lighten my load, too bad the 24-120VR is not highly regarded even in the most recent incarnation, as this would be ideal.....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Tamron 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is a rather decent lens. Excellent at the wide end, even wide open, but more questionable beyond 80mm. It improves when stopped down though. It's relatively inexpensive, but lacks VR.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Hey Jorgen - thanks, I have heard of this lens before but never have used or handled one. The range would be ideal, and that alone makes it something to try to find used as I don't think they are made any longer. With the high ISO ability of the D700, this might make a good walk around lens, and it retains sharpness stopped down and to the point you mention, but does not really extend out much beyond that or offer much over the 28-75. Wider end gain....again not something to be overlooked considering how mediocre the Nikon 24-120 is overall. Guess I could always hope Nikon comes out with another offering in this range or some high end f4 zooms to take place of both the zooms I use now with VR....guess I could go the way a good friend did, and get a 17-35mm and use my 50 or 55 to fill the gap with the telezoom.
In some ways the DX combos offer much advantage for traveling, which is still an option, as I am still amazed sometimes by the D300 images I can get with the two smallish zooms...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
....guess I could go the way a good friend did, and get a 17-35mm and use my 50 or 55 to fill the gap with the telezoom.
Not a bad option. There's also the older 20-35 f/2.8, which is less costly than the 17-35, but still a very capable lens.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Also been researching more obscure options out there, and there is a Nkon 18-35mm lens which gets maligned at times but wonder if for my purposes it might be a cheaper, all Nikon alternative. It could fill in the bag the same way the 17-35 or 20-35 would but a bit more range and modern construction, albeit not as durable as the other lenses mentioned. Add a 50-55mm, and the 70-300mm and be done. Use the zooms during daytime, have the 50mm for night use when not using a tripod. Reviewing the 18-35mm shows that it has some weaknesses used wide open at 18mm but seems to sharpen up nice and some felt was as strong as the 17-35 at the 35mm end, obviously not with 2.8 as an option. Even at night I try to stay away from shooting wide open, with the D700, this becomes more possible to maybe stop down a bit and just auto ISO it...oh well, that is where it stands for the day....

wjlapier

There are great copies of the 24-120 ASF VR. I had one and regret selling it to this day. I used it alot on a F5 and when I sold the F5 I sold the lens too--It seemed odd on a cropped sensor. Now I have the D700 and would like to find another nice copy--Or use the DX mode of the D700 and the 16-85.

If you're serious about finding a nice copy of the 24-120 VR, just ask all the right questions and have a return policy if it doesn't meet your expectations. That's what I plan to do when I decide which of the two to buy, especially with the 24-120 VR.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
RJ - I was wondering this same thing, are there any decent copies out there of this lens. A friend had one before VR model, that he still uses and likes. It would be nice to go to a store and have the privilege of trying more then one copy and seeing, or returning it, if there were sharpness issues. The 16-85DX is a great lens, and wish they would make the 24-120mm VR the same level of quality. I may just have to do that. Given the low noise possible with the D700, this would be a great lens to travel with or for general shooting...Don