The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any concensus on best Ziess for D700

Ario,
Could you be more specific please and explain in which areas is 28 far better than the 25? I also have both and don't find one superior in any way to the other, different yes but neither one looks sharper, has better color/contrast, flare issues, etc., etc., than the other. If anything the 28's field curvature can create problems in many situations and additionally the 25mm has extreme close focusing capabilities which the 28 doesn't, so where is the 28 far better? The speed difference between f2.0 and f2.8 is negligible to begin with and unless one is always shooting wide open all the time its not even worth pondering.
David,
my experience, with the samples I have, says that the 28 shows definitely a more consistent sharpness across the frame than the 25 and I do not find the difference in speed so negligible.
Ario

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The 28mm has a very strong curvature which you should be aware of, I wont use it for landscapes but great for shooting people since the curvature enhances the look of what's in center of the frame.
+1

I never really understood what people meant when they talked about the "Zeiss 3D effect" until I had shot some environmental portraits with the 28/2.

RAM

A number of forum members have also commented on the curvature of the ZF25 (I think Jono found it too pronounced for one). Is one better than the other in this regard?

robmac

Both the 25 and 28 have quite pronounced CoF (curvature of field/plane of focus). The closer the focusing distance, the worse it effects the image (assuming you, like me, don't like it. Me, I want flat). The 35 has no such an issue.

D

ddk

A number of forum members have also commented on the curvature of the ZF25 (I think Jono found it too pronounced for one). Is one better than the other in this regard?
I never heard of anyone complaining about the curvature of ZF 25 and I haven't noticed anything problematic myself either. Its the 28mm that has the strong curvature but that's also what makes it so appealing to some of us! You're procrastinating way too much RAM, just buy one, there's really nothing wrong with any of them.

jonoslack

HI There
When I'd discovered what it was (rather than just soft corners) I rather enjoyed it, like most idiosyncrasies you can turn them to your advantage. It's a lovely sharp lens - and the close focusing (really almost to the front element) is great for dramatic flower shots and the like.

I'm selling mine - it's the last of my Nikon lenses to go, keeping it would be an extravagance as I don't have a camera to put it on :ROTFL:

I never had the 28, and thus I can't compare. I do like the 25mm focal length though.

Link to 25mm for sale

robmac

RAM - get the Lloyd Chambers package. He discusses all aspects of all the ZF glass with test shots, comparo shots, etc - including curvature. The $40+ it costs for 1 yr (includes free updates/additions) could save you a lot of $$ - or confirm what you think you'd like.

Curvature is something most people don't expect and it can throw/disappoint them. Others, however can/like use(ing) it to their advantage.

D

ddk

RAM - get the Lloyd Chambers package. He discusses all aspects of all the ZF glass with test shots, comparo shots, etc - including curvature. The $40+ it costs for 1 yr (includes free updates/additions) could save you a lot of $$ - or confirm what you think you'd like.

Curvature is something most people don't expect and it can throw/disappoint them. Others, however can/like use(ing) it to their advantage.
Getting Lloyds reviews is great advice, even for those who already own the lenses.

kinok1

Its taken me almost 1.5 years to come to this conclusion: for me, bang for buck, i dig the zf 50mm 1.4

It has its moments. Sometimes i look at the OOF areas and think wtf. Other times (and lately, more often than not) I'm astonished. i think i just had to shoot with it enough.

my 2 cents.

ftbt

I just bought fotografz's 28/2.0 Zeiss for use on my D700 and my 5DMkII. A wonderful lens. No regrets. I will be taking it and my 35-70/3.4 Vario Sonnar to the Italian Lakes next month with my 5D. I should have things pretty well covered in terms of walk around, macro and landscape with the 2 lenses.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This reminds me of when Leica released the R4-R6 bodies. I use to carry 24/35/90/180 and two bodies..a pretty good set . The zeiss prime are already available in the Pentax mount. Only downside seems to its not fullframe.