The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oh no! 135mm f/2.0

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm in need of some new lighting gear, so I did the round to the usual pushers today to get some quotes. After finishing the usual niceties at one of the shops, the owner suddenly brightened up and said something like: "Weren't you interested in that 135mm a while ago? Now we have a much nicer copy."

Ok, ok... I thought. Let's have a look then. So I mounted it on the D80, and fired off a shot wide open in the direction of the film refrigerator in the very dimly lit shop. I was surprised how fast the heavy, little thing focused btw.

Then I went home, thinking nothing more about it until I was unpacking my bag, checking if I needed to dump any photos to my computer before formatting the card. Ah! The fridge shot. Ok then, I'll have a look :rolleyes:

Disaster, disaster... it's sharp from corner to corner :lecture: Can I resist it? What can I do to forget about this? Get silly drunk tonight, hoping that tomorrow's headache will make me hate everything that happened today :confused:

Does anybody own this lens? Is it really as good as it looks in my photo? What should I do?

Paratom

I have it and like it a lot. It can flare if used against strong light.
However I really like the combination of smooth bokeh with good detail. Great for portrait but also for other stuff. I dont use the DC-feature though since its too complicated for me to understand whats going on.
Its a great combo if you carry it together with a 50 prime and a wideangle lens.
It also cobines nicely with the 24-70.
Tom

AlexLF

Interesingly, I just got mine 3 hours ago!!! And I don't know how to use defocus control yet so no portraits available :) Just these (D3x, DC 135/2, F/3.2):

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Oh bugger... there's no way back. Just as good as I feared. Great photos both of you. I'll count my pennies tomorrow :)

leif e

Now, that´s rather cruel towards a gentle Norwegian, don´t you think, Jono!:D

Jorgen; I know I can´t afford it - S5 or not.:(
leif e

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jono, I will visit a temple tomorrow, praying for endless fog in the Channel,
isolating you and all other Brits from decent food and wine forever. So there :lecture:

--

It's a never ending dilemma of course: as much as I would like to buy a K7 and those nice, little Limited lenses (the Nikkor 135 weighs as much as 3-4 of them combined), there are excellent Nikkors that I would like to try as well, and I have no patience :(

I would love to have an F6 too, and the 135mm would be fantastic for b&w portraits on film. Temptations, temptations...

There's a rumour about a Pentax Limited 135mm f/2.8 btw.... But I can buy a Pentax next year, can't I :p

kweide

Jorgen, the only way to end this drama is:

buy it

I had the same with my cron 90. Since i have it i a happy.
Remember: You can´t take anything with you on your ultimate last trip ! The last shirt has no pockets.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, the only way to end this drama is:

buy it

I had the same with my cron 90. Since i have it i a happy.
Remember: You can´t take anything with you on your ultimate last trip ! The last shirt has no pockets.
Klaus,
In this country, people are Buddhists. If they are nice in this life, they get a shirt with more pockets in the next one ;)

jonoslack

Jono, I will visit a temple tomorrow, praying for endless fog in the Channel,
isolating you and all other Brits from decent food and wine forever. So there :lecture:
Hey! That's not fair - I go all contrite and you try and snatch the Pinot Grigio from my very hand . . . actually, be my guest, as long as you replace it with a nice Sauvignon:)

--
It's a never ending dilemma of course: as much as I would like to buy a K7 and those nice, little Limited lenses (the Nikkor 135 weighs as much as 3-4 of them combined), there are excellent Nikkors that I would like to try as well, and I have no patience :(

I would love to have an F6 too, and the 135mm would be fantastic for b&w portraits on film. Temptations, temptations...

There's a rumour about a Pentax Limited 135mm f/2.8 btw.... But I can buy a Pentax next year, can't I :p
Well, you lot, no consistency - Me? I'm totally consistent, 3 different systems, 9543 lenses 863 different cameras:shocked:

While you're thinking about nice 135mm lenses, why not get the Zeiss 135 f1.8?

Lars

Jorgen, the 135 is best suited for FX format. Shooting DX, the defocus control gets proportionally more agressive so you might want to hold back a bit. If you plan to stay with DX then the 105/2.0 DC might also be worth considering.

DC lenses are as complex as zoom lenses, and not built like a tank. Make sure the lens is properly aligned and working, and if you buy it, pack it well when travelling.

I rambled a bit about the 135/2.0 DC a few years ago, when I was still product manager for LightZone. If you can stand my ugly face, here's a link:

http://www.8x10.se/pages/lightzone_selfportrait.htm