The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oh no! 135mm f/2.0

Lars

Jorgen, There's a rumor around of a Pentax 50/1.0 on its way later this year. Those guys have released some pretty interesting lenses in the last few years, so it wouldn't come as a complete surprise.

Lars

You never can compare Nikkor to Zeiss lenses!

Already 10 years ago in the analog days I did comparisons between Leica and Zeiss and I must say I liked most Zeiss lenses better than Leica lenses. Especially I made this experience with the 1:2.0/180 APO from Leica compared to the 1:2.0/200 Zeiss (I think it was 200) - man the Zeiss lens was just so much better.

All the other Zeiss glass I owned (Hasselblad, Contax) just proved the same!

I currently do not own the 1.8/135, but I have no doubt it will be a similar stellar performer than it's "old" ancestors - forgive my English :angel:

Actually the Zeiss lenses and the positive reports here in the forum about the A900 made me switch from Nikon/Canon to Sony - will receive the cam and a bunch of lenses next week :cool: YEAH !!!
Of course you can compare Zeiss to Nikon. Some parameters can be measured, some are subjective. How you weigh those factors is a personal preference.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, There's a rumor around of a Pentax 50/1.0 on its way later this year. Those guys have released some pretty interesting lenses in the last few years, so it wouldn't come as a complete surprise.
I've heard the rumour, and the one about a Limited 135mm f/2.8. I will Buy two Pentax bodies some time this year, and the only dilemma is if it's going to be a dirt cheap K20D now (my future backup body) and a K7 later, or two K7s.

I'll keep my Fujis and the most important Nikkors, and I will buy some "special interest" lenses in F-mount still. It looks like I have a 105mm f/1.8 on its way from Sweden :) and the 135mm f/2.0 is not written off yet.

The only problem I can see in the Pentax line-up is the "standard" zoom, but I can always buy another Tamron 17-50. The 50-135mm f/2.8 will probably be my most used lens, in spite of my love for primes, since it's perfect for studio, industrial and product photography.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
But there are other criteria too. My mother is probably of the opinion that any lens that will show her great granddaughter smiling, is a good lens :eek:
Basicly your mother is right, Jorgen. Wise lady, your mother :D
Still, I need to admit that I love lenses with some mojo :rolleyes:

Do you have some examples to show us, Peter?
Thank you.
Hi S.P.

I cannot answer on behalf of Peter, but I have the Zeiss ZF 1.4/50 and the new Nikon AF-S 1.4/50 G as well.

In general it's my impression that most of the Zeiss lenses render with an extraordinary good contrast thus adding to a more three dimensional look. At least that is the main reason why I have some of them and live with the Manual Focus only. Autofocus is the reason why I bought the Nikon 50mm as well.

50mm lenses are easy to design so actually most of them are pretty good and a comparison may not be all that interesting, but it's the only focal length where I own both brands. For what it is worth I have made a quick shot of the same scenery with my ZF 50 and my AF-S 50. I have posted it in the following separate thread, in order not to contaminate this 135mm thread with my trivial 50mm shot.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7841

Now let's get back on track with the 135mm discussion here.