The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R lenses on the D3 - the 180mm f2.8

vieri

After seeing the possibility of mounting Leica R lenses on Nikon cameras through the use of the Leitax adapter, I decided to give it a try and got a few of these to modify my R lenses and be able to use them on my Nikon F mount cameras. So far I modified the 180 mm f2.8 R, 100 mm f2.8 R Micro, 35 mm f2. The optical quality of R lenses is fantastic, their ergonomics great for those of us who like to use manual lenses; focus is smooth, diaphragm works perfectly; the quality of the adapter is also top notch, doing the modification is very easy, is reversible and takes the whole of ten minutes. The only con is that you have to use stop down metering: not a deal breaker for many, but something you have to be aware of.

Anyway, after doing the modification and checking out that the lenses worked fine with the D3, I decided to give the 180 a go on a shooting; the results? In a word, I loved it.

Here is a couple of samples for you:

All with the D3, Profoto lights, Chimera sofboxes & modifiers. The whole gallery, for those interested, is here:
http://www.pbase.com/vieripbase/triolibero_root

I thought the forum would be interested in the new possibilities that the Leitax mount adapter opens!