The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Nikon 200-400 great shots?

Lloyd

Can't speak to the Pro sports shots, but I use mine zoomed at various focal lengths. This one is at 200, and I really needed to be able to pull back even more.

D300, 200-400/f4 @ 200mm/f5.6:

Leica 77

Can't speak to the Pro sports shots, but I use mine zoomed at various focal lengths. This one is at 200, and I really needed to be able to pull back even more.

D300, 200-400/f4 @ 200mm/f5.6:
Hello Lloyd,
The lens produces extremely sharp images. The expression on the young man's face is priceless! It's a "decisive moment"! All the best, Leica 77 :)

Lloyd

Hello Lloyd,
The lens produces extremely sharp images. The expression on the young man's face is priceless! It's a "decisive moment"! All the best, Leica 77 :)
Thank you L77. As always, your comments are most appreciated.

fultonpics

just zoom it, which is the benefit of this thing. i am all over the place with it. from monday night--yes it works at night too!

Steve Fines

Hello,

Long time lurker here. Time to jump in, as the 200-400 was one of my main reasons for buying a Nikon camera.

I do a lot of photography from a kayak, and the distance to the subject can be very variable. With the Nikon D3x and the 200-400 I've got 200-400 covered in FX mode, and then with one button I'm at 300-600 in DX mode. For me this is just the best.

Anyway, here's one from last weekend, a common loon taking off at sunrise. They run on the water a while before getting airborn.

D3x, 200-400, iso 800, f/4, 1/640, pattern metering, -1/3ev, handheld (on the kayak) at 260mm in FX mode.

fultonpics

hey that is a great shot. the idea of shooting from a kayak is kinda of cool. i'd love to do mavericks that way, but getting out there might put the gear in danger. so you hand hold it? gets heavy doesn't it?

Lloyd

Hello,

Long time lurker here. Time to jump in, as the 200-400 was one of my main reasons for buying a Nikon camera.

I do a lot of photography from a kayak, and the distance to the subject can be very variable. With the Nikon D3x and the 200-400 I've got 200-400 covered in FX mode, and then with one button I'm at 300-600 in DX mode. For me this is just the best.

Anyway, here's one from last weekend, a common loon taking off at sunrise. They run on the water a while before getting airborn.

D3x, 200-400, iso 800, f/4, 1/640, pattern metering, -1/3ev, handheld (on the kayak) at 260mm in FX mode.

Great shot!!:salute:

Leica 77

Hello,

Hello Steve Fines,
It is a very fine image. The loon is a state bird of Minnesota. The way they run on the water is quite unique before their "take off". I can hear their distinct call in your image. Best wishes, Leica 77 :)

Lloyd

Hello Lloyd,
It is another wonderful "decisive moment"! I still use my Nikon D2H from time to time. The responsiveness of its shutter is stellar. Best regards, Leica 77 :)
Thanks again, L77. Much appreciated. I think the D2H is a much underestimated camera.

fultonpics

i was using the 200-400 in virtual darkness tonight in Oakland. i was surprised how my images came out great. helps to have the D3's high ISO performance. i rarely miss the the 400 2.8 these days. i find the zoom more than makes up for the loss in light.

btw, mine sits on a nice gitzo carbon monopod all the time. no silly head--just screwed in directly to the pod. you can strap the gitzo on to the side of the 200-400 case and you are good to go. i do this when i go over to stanford--i just walk from the house with one body hanging off on shoulder and the 200-400 case on the other. beats traffic.

Leica 77

just zoom it, which is the benefit of this thing. i am all over the place with it. from monday night--yes it works at night too!

Great shots (pun intended, perhaps), fultonpics! Nice colors and lots of energy. All very powerful!!! Best regards, Leica 77 :)