The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Nikon 200-400 great shots?

D

DGC1

Thanks. It's been here a few days and I didn't think anyone noticed.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
A Green Jay from south Texas.
Absolutely stunning bird shot, DGC.

I've been waiting for years for a new AF-S Nikkor 4/300mm VR for birds photography.
I want a prime for birds, and a prime with VR.
Nikon ... ?

D

DGC1

Absolutely stunning bird shot, DGC.

I've been waiting for years for a new AF-S Nikkor 4/300mm VR for birds photography.
I want a prime for birds, and a prime with VR.
Nikon ... ?
I have only one VR lens and although VR does exactly what they say, I think it is over rated and folks are putting way too much emphasis on it. Good long lens technique has proven that many times over. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new technology but if there is ever a choice between the same lens wih and without VR, I'll happily do without it to save some money.

Lloyd

I have only one VR lens and although VR does exactly what they say, I think it is over rated and folks are putting way too much emphasis on it. Good long lens technique has proven that many times over. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new technology but if there is ever a choice between the same lens wih and without VR, I'll happily do without it to save some money.
I have to agree, at least for most lenses. I do like the VR on the 70-200, but for the super telephotos, I don't think they're as sharp on a tripod when using VR, so I tend to turn it off anyway.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Am I being too naive (too "optimistic" :angel:) even thinking about handholding a 300mm VR tele ... ?

Lloyd

Am I being too naive (too "optimistic" :angel:) even thinking about handholding a 300mm VR tele ... ?
Not at all. I find the 300 VR very "hand-holdable". It's certainly smaller and lighter than the 200-400VR, which I often hand hold, as for example the shot of the mule deer above.

D

DGC1

Not at all. I find the 300 VR very "hand-holdable". It's certainly smaller and lighter than the 200-400VR, which I often hand hold, as for example the shot of the mule deer above.
Agreed.

fultonpics

to keep this thread going, a few more from Sports Illustrated' site today. Taken at Stanford on Sat. iso 3200 and 2500. I only take one lens to these games most of the time. It even works at night.