The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Nikon 200-400 great shots?

fultonpics

I love this lens---best i have ever owned. any great shots out there you want to share? (btw, i hated it at first, but have come to realize how great it is)

otumay

Sorry for not responding earlier. This is a great lens, and for me its weakness lies in its greatness. I mainly shoot urban scenes or travel documentary, and rarely carry this behemoth with me. But I agree that it is a joy to use. Let me post a few examples dating from last August. It was a beautiful late afternoon and I was positioned in Arnavutköy, the narrowest part of the Bosporus, shooting the loneliness in the faces of the seamen in the passing ships.
Best regards,
Osman

fultonpics

ah, those are wonderful. very nice colors and composition--it looks like they have tough life. i use mine 90% of the time and only rarely get to use my other lenses, so have become accustomed to the weight. does it attract a lot of attention walking around with it??

thanks for posting!

Last edited:

fultonpics

jack

i do boring sports stuff, so didn't want to waste anyone's time...not too artsy. just want to see more creative uses of this great optic. here are a few of mine from the last month. i think all were done with the 200-400

otumay

ah, those are wonderful. very nice colors and composition--it looks like they have tough life. i use mine 90% of the time and only rarely get to use my other lenses, so have become accustomed to the weight. does it attract a lot of attention walking around with it??

thanks for posting!
Being a shy character, I am sometimes overwhelmed by the attention I get when using this lens. I must admit that I did not use it since August, and my purchase of the Leica M system in September may well be one of the reasons; I never get noticed with an M8 camera.
By the way, thank you for your compliments, I would love to see some of your shots with this baby.
Best,
Osman

fultonpics

here's another 200-400 from saturday. also shot the lens yesterday for some international gold cup (soccer) matches--works pretty good. wish it focused quicker but good enough as is, especially in day light.

fultonpics

here is a night time shot with the 200-400 from the other night. i am amazed that this thing works so well in low light. focuses great for a 4.0 and i rarely get out of focus action shots. sometimes i use the active VR.

Lloyd

Sorry for not responding earlier. This is a great lens, and for me its weakness lies in its greatness. I mainly shoot urban scenes or travel documentary, and rarely carry this behemoth with me. But I agree that it is a joy to use. Let me post a few examples dating from last August. It was a beautiful late afternoon and I was positioned in Arnavutköy, the narrowest part of the Bosporus, shooting the loneliness in the faces of the seamen in the passing ships.
Best regards,
Osman
Great images, Osman. It is a wonderful lens, and worth the investment.

Lloyd

Here are a couple from a triathlon we attended earlier this month.

D300, 200-400/4, wide open:

fultonpics

Here's a series from yesterday--great to have a zoom tele !! This guy had a bit of a headache from this one---Inter Milan goalie vs Club America forward

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Some really great moments there. Remind me not to become a football player, will you? Maybe I should stay away from baseball as well. :D

Lloyd, I think I've seen and commented on that flower shot before, but the colours and composition deserves at least two more thumbs up :thumbs:

Leica 77

Here's some from Saturday's game. Guess which is out and which is safe?

Hello fultonpics,
This digital image is fantastic. The ball sits still in the air like a magic. The player who reached the base has a lucky number on his uniform -- "77". Cheers! Leica 77 :)

David K

Workshop Member
The shots with this lens are very impressive. I'm curious whether the sports shots were zoomed in all the way to 400mm or whether 300mm would have been adequate for most of them.