Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon 200/2 VR + D3X give me...

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon 200/2 VR + D3X give me...

A very nice weekend
    Nikon D3X + 200/2 helped me to get a new friend (part time model)
    She was willing to go out with me on saturday morning.
    I was so excited to take her pics
    here are some pics to share

Andree
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon 200/2 VR + D3X give me...

Hmmm... I want to have a friend like that

Beautiful photos and beautiful model as usual

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sadly I would pass on the friend and take the 200mm VR instead with a D3x. Guess i have been married a long time. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Take the friend, the D3x AND the 200mm VR. Guy you are married too long

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Sadly I would pass on the friend and take the 200mm VR instead with a D3x. Guess i have been married a long time. LOL
    seconded!!!

S.P.

sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Hahhahaha so funny!
    I think the best choice would be take everything together
    BTW, I forget to mention, with this combo I was able to get 2 models on the same day.!
    Those pictures were taken in the morning,
    now these picture below, were taken in the afternoon.
    Introducing my friend "Yusni"

Andree
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay now you changed my mind. Reverse that call
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously that lens reminds me in look of my Leica 180 F2 cron

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, one of my favorite combos. AF and VR with the Leica look.

Nice ladies too!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    It must be time for a workshop in Indonesia, don't you think? But leave the recruiting of models to Andree. I'd be there

S.P.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Hahhahaha so funny!
    BTW, I forget to mention, with this combo I was able to get 2 models on the same day.!
    So you run around in the streets with your big thing and the models come to you and beg "Please shoot me!"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone looking at a 200 Vr, Canon 200 1.8 or a Leica 180 F2 knows you are serious. Yes size matters

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And I was just sooo content with my D700...
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Ranger 9

I must live in the wrong country or have the wrong circle of friends or something.

The results, obviously, are stunning. However, I can't help but suspect that given the poster's camera talent (and model-recruiting talent) he would get stunning results no matter what photo equipment you handed him.

PS: Now wouldn't that make a great reality TV show? You could call it "Silk Purse" -- after the old saying that you can't make one out of a sow's ear -- and each week you'd challenge a group of experts to perform in their field of expertise using crummy unprofessional tools.

PPS: You couldn't call it "Polishing a _____" because they've already proved on Mythbusters that you can polish a _____.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well no doubt he is very talented but any long very fast lens in this category will give very nice results. The answer here is extremely sharp wide open with great DOF fall off along with compression. It is a nice look but you need to know how to use these effectively as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Andree, the first girl here you have shot before like in the 80Lux shot you posted here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...?t=5584&page=6

I think I remember seeing the 2nd model from some shots you have taken in the past on another forum or somewhere.
    Just seems that this every model I shoot is my new friend (wink wink, nudge nudge) Austin Powers style charade is a little much, no? Sorry, just had to say it.

If I could provide constructive feedback on your excellent shots, I would have these nitpicks:

1) First model 3rd shot there is a huge specular highlight to the right of her head which is distracting.
    2) First model 4th shot, the xmas lights on the partial tree branch in the corner of the frame needs to go.
    3) First model 5th shot, part of the highlights in her one hand got blown out
    4) The second model seems to have alot of awkward hand and arm positions IMHO.
    The first shot of the 2nd model is my favorite of the bunch, very nice.
    Hope it was ok to give some C&C.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_s View Post
    Andree, the first girl here you have shot before like in the 80Lux shot you posted here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...?t=5584&page=6

I think I remember seeing the 2nd model from some shots you have taken in the past on another forum or somewhere.
    Just seems that this every model I shoot is my new friend (wink wink, nudge nudge) Austin Powers style charade is a little much, no? Sorry, just had to say it.

If I could provide constructive feedback on your excellent shots, I would have these nitpicks:

1) First model 3rd shot there is a huge specular highlight to the right of her head which is distracting.
    2) First model 4th shot, the xmas lights on the partial tree branch in the corner of the frame needs to go.
    3) First model 5th shot, part of the highlights in her one hand got blown out
    4) The second model seems to have alot of awkward hand and arm positions IMHO.
    The first shot of the 2nd model is my favorite of the bunch, very nice.
    Hope it was ok to give some C&C.
    hi Wayne
    Yes, I took some pics of her before (both of them)
    Still considering both of them as my new friends hahhaaa
    Anyway,
    I Agree with most of your comments,
    At first I was going to remove that specular highlight near her head, but i did not do it. I want to know the reaction from other viewers... is it ok to leave it like that or better remove it.
    Same thing to the xmas lights on the partial tree branch (this one, to be honest I was to lazy to PS it )

About the second model hand and arm positions
    once she heard the "click" from my DSLR, she just can't stop moving..!!!
    she really have the talent to pose.
    Amazing model IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My test of fast glass is always how it handles green foliage backgrounds...the first shots in morning show ugly rendition in background. The shots in afternoon on brown backgrounds are nice - but any fast wide open long lens will deliver similar.

All that said - the VR is on my shopping list, it doesnt do as good a job as my 180mm Rollie or my 300mm HC blad - but neither work on a Nikon with autofocus -

Convert the morning shots to B&W - and they will POP - sans green foliage distractions.

Post Thanks / Like

I had this combo at one time and thought it was great. However, without being the party pooper here, the images have great bokeh and lighting but look very soft. They just dont show sharpness like they should. Can you post crops of the faces from the various images?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

wow just love number 3 picture, this is the best of her face. Except for a few spot distracted from the background on the right the picture is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Hahhahaha so funny!
    Those pictures were taken in the morning,
    now these picture below, were taken in the afternoon.
    Introducing my friend "Yusni"

Andree
    Andree

This Tia Carrerre look alike makes for some fun modeling/posing/looks good on a D3X title.

Great stuff and this camera, to me, is a winner. I don't compare cameras because there is always stuff that is overhyped and others that are just buried!

The proof of the pudding is really in the eating. Look at the images and decide for your self what would sell. Personally.......I love the look of the D3X files. Only an MFDB in the style of the P65+ would be a no brainer upgrade and even that, not for all occasions.

Many more folks need to forget the price of the D3X and focus on what it can do. I know that I do and every day I feel my purchase decision was right on. Now others, maybe a lot or even most, could disagree. But they aren't shooting my images.

Best to all, no matter what you use to get the results you want

Woody

S.P.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Andree

This Tia Carrerre look alike makes for some fun modeling/posing/looks good on a D3X title.

Great stuff and this camera, to me, is a winner. I don't compare cameras because there is always stuff that is overhyped and others that are just buried!

The proof of the pudding is really in the eating. Look at the images and decide for your self what would sell. Personally.......I love the look of the D3X files. Only an MFDB in the style of the P65+ would be a no brainer upgrade and even that, not for all occasions.

Many more folks need to forget the price of the D3X and focus on what it can do. I know that I do and every day I feel my purchase decision was right on. Now others, maybe a lot or even most, could disagree. But they aren't shooting my images.

Best to all, no matter what you use to get the results you want

Woody
    Woody,

donīt you think you could achieve the look of this 1000 pixel webimages also with a D3 or D700 with this lens?

Most of all itīs the model which is hot and the lighting and the sharp-unsharp definition of the lens
    but we wonīt see any differences when these pictures would have been taken with a D700 and been downsized for web.

Stefan

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by S.P. View Post
    Woody,

donīt you think you could achieve the look of this 1000 pixel webimages also with a D3 or D700 with this lens?

Most of all itīs the model which is hot and the lighting and the sharp-unsharp definition of the lens
    but we wonīt see any differences when these pictures would have been taken with a D700 and been downsized for web.

Stefan
    If web images are the goal, you don't need a D3/D700 either. You could slap this $5000. lens on a $600 Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like

more pics from 200/2 VR + D3X

Andree

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Andree - really like the B&W

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Nice Andree - really like the B&W
    x2

They are all stunning! Were these shot as 12-bit or 14-bit captures?

Stefan, I'm not sure what the point of that post was. These images would look equally stunning in 24x36 prints. If you think people are buying a D3x to make pretty Web pictures you are seriously deluded. If they actually are, they have more money than sense.

Woody, I know what you mean about the D3x and I really do think it is the best of breed right now just looking at the images, but I can't get too excited about until I can buy one in a D700 size package.

EDIT: Andree, I just can't tear myself away from that B&W, absolutely stunning image.
    Last edited by Bill_Green; 12th August 2009 at 08:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rob mac, thx

Hi Bill, Glad that you like the picture too
    btw, these shots were captures using 12 BIT RAW.
    Until today I really can't tell the different from 12 bit and 14 bit...
    Can someone give me a sample photo, which can point out the different between 12 bit and 14 bit?

thank you
    Andree

Ranger 9

If I understand correctly, the advantage of 14-bit vs. 12-bit is that 14-bit lets you make bigger post-processing adjustments without the risk of banding or posterization... such as if you had to fix an exposure mistake or try to pull in some very bright highlight or deep shadow detail. Once the adjustment had been made, there wouldn't be any visible difference between the 14-bit file and a 12-bit file that did not require adjustment.

Since your level of technical control seems to be extremely good -- almost as good as your model-recruiting abilities :-) -- it's probably very rare for you to make a picture that needs 14 bits to be "rescued." So you might go for a very long time before you found any difference between 14 bits and 12 bits.

Johannes01

Mmmmm..awesome..How pretty.Why can't i find one..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes01 View Post
    Mmmmm..awesome..How pretty.Why can't i find one..
    By "find one" do you mean the model , or a 200/2VR?

If the lens, I have one that I am about to put up for sale. PM me.

If you mean the beautiful model, I can't help you there

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andree, Andree, Andree. You poor, deluded slob. You realize these women are only interested in your huge lens....
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Andree, Andree, Andree. You poor, deluded slob. You realize these women are only interested in your huge lens....
    I don't get that comment. I thought he was looking for critical feedback on the quality of his images. Oh well...

Post Thanks / Like

Hhahahhahaa LOL
    YES! women in here love huge lens

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fultonpics View Post
    I don't get that comment. I thought he was looking for critical feedback on the quality of his images. Oh well...
    We constantly jibe Andree about his model-recruitment skills (his "new friends") mostly out of jealosy. His shotwork is some of the best in it's class.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Sayitloudbap

I'll take a 200vr f2 with anything really. hell give me that and a d50. Thats right. I said it.