Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

  1. #1
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    So, I bought a new lens today, an old, new lens, the 135mm f/1.8 that I have been waiting for. Normally, I don't test lenses, I just start using them, hoping for the best. But in this case, the seller wanted me to try it out properly before I made up my mind.

    Unfortunately, I have neither a backyard nor a dog, a cat or a neighbour with an interesting antenna on the roof. So, I had to take a walk downtown and take a couple of snapshot of people I saw on the street instead. I know that this is not the correct testing procedure according to you-know-which-forum, and I didn't even bring a tripod, but that's what you get when you deal with amateurs.

    What was important for me to check, was sharpness, colours, contrast and bokeh. That would be the photo of the lady with the vegetables and flowers, which is without post processing except USM 80%/radius 0.4 on the crop. I also wanted to see the ability to isolate a subject from the background when the main subject is a few meters away, which is the photo of the couple. I've enhanced contrast and colours slightly on that one.

    All photos with Fuji S5 at 6MP, converted from RAW.



    The crop isn't 100%, probably around 80% of full size.





    Conclusion:
    I have a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. I thought that was a portrait lens. Wrong This is a portrait lens. Focusing between 1 and 2.5 meters is a piece of cake, even wide open. From there and up to 5 meters is ok if I concentrate. Anything beyond 5 meters is tricky since 90% of the focus throw was spent on the first 5 meters, but with a better focusing screen, that will hopefully improve.

    Do I like this lens? I love this lens. Look at the photos. The portrait was taken within minutes of mounting the lens on the camera, in the big, dark shadow behind a shopping mall without flash.

  2. #2
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    My fingers are faster than my brain. The lens is obviously not a 135mm. Nikon never made a 135mm f/1.8, it's the 105mm f/1.8. Too late to edit the headline etc. Sorry about the confusion

    Here are at least the photos with the correct names (I think):





    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 3rd July 2009 at 09:22.

  3. #3
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Horrible, horrible, horrible, Jorgen! I was really looking forward to some exciting brick walls !

    What a fantastic capture, I love the orchid girl, you must have more shots of her, please post. The lens looks great, enjoy it!

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Horrible, horrible, horrible, Jorgen! I was really looking forward to some exciting brick walls !

    What a fantastic capture, I love the orchid girl, you must have more shots of her, please post. The lens looks great, enjoy it!
    Unfortunately David, she just stopped for a couple of seconds in front of the press at some vegetable and flower event outside Central World Plaza. I had to fight my way through all the local photographers to get one sharp photo. I should have asked for her phone number of course, but I'm getting old and slow

  5. #5
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Ah... here's one more that is almost in focus. Actually, it's focused on the far eye, but you don't see that in this small format


  6. #6
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    As you know well, there's more to an image than perfect focus, this doesn't bother me one bit.

    Sometimes when I look at some of older bw 35mm film images I find many with iffy focus and I see plenty more posted on the net by some great photographers. This whole concept of perfect focus is a by product of the digital age and pixel peeping, otherwise it was something reserved mostly for studio work and not street images of fast moving subjects.

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Here's a 100% crop of the eye that is more or less in focus. This is 100% from the 12MP jpeg straight out of the camera, no sharpening added, but brightness and exposure increased (the photo was around 2/3 stop underexposed).


  8. #8
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    There were actually two women. Here's the other one:


  9. #9
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    As you know well, there's more to an image than perfect focus, this doesn't bother me one bit.

    Sometimes when I look at some of older bw 35mm film images I find many with iffy focus and I see plenty more posted on the net by some great photographers. This whole concept of perfect focus is a by product of the digital age and pixel peeping, otherwise it was something reserved mostly for studio work and not street images of fast moving subjects.
    I agree with you. The funny part is, that when I converted to digital 4 years ago, I struggled with the autofocus. Now, it's the other way around.

  10. #10
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    These are great images Jorgen, really as good as they get; must have been some show. Funny thing is I never quite got the hang of AF and the only one that I use on a regular basis is the 14/2.8, only because I haven't found the mf equivalent.

  11. #11
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    It can even do black & white


  12. #12
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    I can see why you can't go to sleep, what time is there now?

  13. #13
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    These are great images Jorgen, really as good as they get; must have been some show. Funny thing is I never quite got the hang of AF and the only one that I use on a regular basis is the 14/2.8, only because I haven't found the mf equivalent.
    Between the first and the last shot, there was 1 minute and 58 seconds, and that included two male models that I didn't shoot, and I only noticed what was happening as the first model was on her way in, while I was fumbling with the lens cap I was really only walking past, on my way into the mall to buy a filter for the lens, which i subsequently forgot

  14. #14
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    You seem to be in the right place at the right time, quite often!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Jorgen,

    Nice combination of smooth bokeh, good contrast, and sharpness which reminds me of my converted Sony-Zeiss 135 1.8.
    Orchid girl is gorgeous and you captured her very well.
    Wish I had a girl like that just appear out of nowhere when I am going out to take some initial shots with my new portrait lens!
    I have found the only way I can consistently nail the focus on the correct eye with such narrow DOF is to use liveview which I can do pretty fast now.
    This lens looks a little more forgiving when not perfectly focused than the ZA 135 1.8.

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Oh... it's almost one in the morning. Better call it a day then. I started at four this morning, but have been sleeping in taxis in between

    Tomorrow, I'm going to the "wrong" place, Pattaya, for the weekly dinner with my father

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    You seem to be in the right place at the right time, quite often!
    Not as often as Andre when it comes to pretty models...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  18. #18
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Not as often as Andre when it comes to pretty models...
    Maybe I should fly down there to learn

  19. #19
    Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Jorgen, congratulations -- great that you were able to not only find a copy of a lens you'd been waiting for but also get such impressive results on its first outing. Hopefully you'll post further samples from what appears to be a marvelous lens.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Nice work Jorgen. The lens looks like a great find. I have had a similar reaction to my new 135mm f/2 DC -- the focal length just makes for a fantastic portrait lens. Though I do notice that you mostly use APS sensors, while I use a full frame. I tend to prefer shorter lengths, but this seems to work really well for me. And you were using an 85 before, which was more like a 135 on film...hmmm.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  21. #21
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Nice work Jorgen. The lens looks like a great find. I have had a similar reaction to my new 135mm f/2 DC -- the focal length just makes for a fantastic portrait lens. Though I do notice that you mostly use APS sensors, while I use a full frame. I tend to prefer shorter lengths, but this seems to work really well for me. And you were using an 85 before, which was more like a 135 on film...hmmm.
    That's correct, I only use DX format cameras, where the 85mm gets the FOV of a 130mm and the 105mm that of a 160mm. I find both very usable, the 85 for indoor and "normal" portraiture, and the longer lens for situations like these, where it's not possible to get close enough to the subject.

    Still, I haven't ruled out the 135, but another alternative may be the Sigma 150mm macro, which in many ways is three lenses in one; macro, tele and long portrait lens. For now, I'm rather happy with having one new lens

  22. #22
    S.P.
    Guest

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Hello Jorgen,

    I bought a AIS 105/1.8 last year for little money and itīs great lens for portraiture!

    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2567

    Especially with f 1.8-2.0 you have a great bokeh and itīs quite easy to use.

    Have much fun with your new lens!

    Stefan

  23. #23
    Member gilgameshist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Uruk
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    My fingers are faster than my brain. The lens is obviously not a 135mm. Nikon never made a 135mm f/1.8, it's the 105mm f/1.8. Too late to edit the headline etc. Sorry about the confusion

    Here are at least the photos with the correct names (I think):
    Beautiful portrait of a lovely model. Last one is quite an informative photograph.
    Very nice Jorgen!

    MG

  24. #24
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Here's one from today. Ambient light under a tree in cloudy weather. Very impressed with colour and contrast. This is nearly wide open.

    S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0


  25. #25
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Looks good! All S5? I'm confused by the mention of 6 and 12 MP.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  26. #26
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Still, I haven't ruled out the 135, but another alternative may be the Sigma 150mm macro, which in many ways is three lenses in one; macro, tele and long portrait lens. For now, I'm rather happy with having one new lens
    I was never that happy with 135 on DX format - with the D2X I wish I had a 105 DC instead of 135 DC. On FX the 135 is great.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  27. #27
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Looks good! All S5? I'm confused by the mention of 6 and 12 MP.
    All S5, Lars, but the camera can produce 12MP jpegs that sometimes look good and sometimes don't. The big files are fine for checking focus and sharpness, but I usually use the RAW files for post processing.

  28. #28
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    I was never that happy with 135 on DX format - with the D2X I wish I had a 105 DC instead of 135 DC. On FX the 135 is great.
    Interesting viewpoint. At the moment, I'm so very happy with the 105mm that the need for other telephoto lenses has diminished for a while.

  29. #29
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Jorgen, These shots just blow me away! I especially like the orchid girl and your Dad??? ...very handsome photo.

    Lars, Google the S5 for a full explanation. It has a Fuji SuperCCD in a Nikon D200 body. The 12 MP are made up of 6MP S pixels that capture normal dynamic range and 6MP R pixels that capture expanded dynamic range. The Fuji engine combines them. This is an oversimplification, but in essence it is a 6MP camera. The jpeg engine interpolates into 12 MP. I always shoot mine in RAW. Portraits from the S5 are gorgeous, as Jorgen has shown.

  30. #30
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Jorgen, These shots just blow me away! I especially like the orchid girl and your Dad??? ...very handsome photo.

    Lars, Google the S5 for a full explanation. It has a Fuji SuperCCD in a Nikon D200 body. The 12 MP are made up of 6MP S pixels that capture normal dynamic range and 6MP R pixels that capture expanded dynamic range. The Fuji engine combines them. This is an oversimplification, but in essence it is a 6MP camera. The jpeg engine interpolates into 12 MP. I always shoot mine in RAW. Portraits from the S5 are gorgeous, as Jorgen has shown.
    Thank you Cindy. No, not exactly my dad, and he's a few years younger than me, so I'd better not show him this

    I'm posting further samples with the lens on the "Funny" thread.... I think.

  31. #31
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Thank you Cindy. No, not exactly my dad, and he's a few years younger than me, so I'd better not show him this

    I'm posting further samples with the lens on the "Funny" thread.... I think.
    I apologize to the handsome man. You said you were going to visit your Dad...so I made a bad assumption. Wonderful portrait!

  32. #32
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I apologize to the handsome man. You said you were going to visit your Dad...so I made a bad assumption. Wonderful portrait!
    Thank you! No problem. I am visiting my father every week. He's only 150km away, but it's been a long time since I made a portrait of him.

  33. #33
    dnjs6
    Guest

    Re: Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

    i have just purchased the 105mm f1.8 ai-s on ebay for around 500$

    dang i love the brokeh so far..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •