Site Sponsors
Page 20 of 100 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 4957

Thread: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

  1. #951
    Subscriber Member TRSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Maine, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    A wine tasting in front of the campfire as we watched the moonrise. Dave and his Russian bride Olga keep up their end.

    Happy Labor Day!

  2. #952
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Tim, Very moody scene. I wish I could get a better look at the beautiful Olga.

  3. #953
    Subscriber Member TRSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Maine, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Thanks Cindy. Campfire light makes for some low shutter speeds and the wine makes for some wobbly hands. Maybe in the daylight I'll be able to treat Olga better.

  4. #954
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Tim,
    I didn't mean that you put Olga in a bad light. I just would like to see more of her--she looks interesting.

  5. #955
    Senior Member Arne Hvaring's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    198

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Hi Arne, beautiful D3 captures, as usual
    And quite interesting with regards to the above discussion that you pop in right now with some Nikon images.
    I actually wasn't sure if you still had your D3, my impression is you have mostly been shooting Canon lately.
    But apparently you still shoot both systems simultaneously ?
    Hi Steen, thanks, and you're right btw., I shoot both systems. I got a 5D2 some months ago, and although I like the resolution and size/weight, I still prefer Nikon's colours. Besides, the D3 is such a wonderfully fast and responsive camera to use that anything else feels sluggish.
    But Canon has been spoiling us with a number of outstanding lenses lately... and then there is the M9, not to mention all the new m4:3 stuff
    All to the delight of my dealer, of course

    TRSmith, Cindy, many thanks for the comments, nice Ford shot Cindy.

  6. #956
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Cindy- thanks for the details, your processing is right on. These classic body works definitely deserve this level of color density.

    Arne- your rust shots are indeed superb though i personally fancy the deep, wet woods subtle athmosphere conveyed by the last photo posted.

    Tim- this b&w procres a sense of a 70's community with modern looks (can't really put my finger on it...). Nice.

  7. #957
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    one more from the current series, two versions:

    Last edited by Corlan F.; 7th September 2009 at 14:38.

  8. #958
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Wind gusts put down a 20+ ft fruit tree branch in the garden... luckily no one in the direct vicinity, at least we got some extra logs for the fall...


  9. #959
    Member APY_JR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    My nephews (twin boys) hit the senior mark this year
    They're into "airsoft" guns and pistols... etc... military material I guess

    A few shots from today...

    Nikon D2Xs and 16-85 DX lens

    Albert
















  10. #960
    Senior Member viablex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    nice colors

  11. #961
    Member APY_JR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    nice colors
    Thanks V

    Albert

  12. #962
    Member colyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cowtown, USA
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth, Texas

    Attachment 21801

  13. #963
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    From today's walk in crowded Bangkok.

    D80 with 70-300mm ED @ 85mm and f/14


  14. #964
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by colyn View Post
    Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth, Texas

    Attachment 21801
    Colyn, Very peaceful and pretty.

    Jorgen, You seem to have found an uncrowded spot in crowded Bangkok. What are the empty bends used for? The frontal POV really works for this one.

  15. #965
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Product posters and banners. I already struggle a bit with those.
    I don't, really, despite doing 1m+ banners for high-end and luxury technical products used in shows where people walk -and look- very close. But i guess it's a matter of client requirement and type of products, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    If I could just fool around and take the photos I want for my own pleasure, I would by a bunch of Fuji S5 and live happily ever after. But I do photography, graphic design and editorial work for a living, mostly for industrial enterprises. Clients with an engineering background couldn't care less about skin tones if they can't recognise every little detail of their great constructions.
    The degree of demand probably lies in the nature of industrial clients then.
    Because being/having been in the advertisement, graphic design and prepress business for the better part of the last couple of decades, i've learned that except for a few specific cases (pharmaceutical trade etc.) and technical close ups (rarely needed in large formats for communication purposes) the sheer technicality of the picture was often less important than the "good light" in which the product was displayed.

    In others words it's been always easier to work (and sell) with photographers (like yourself) with more taste and creativity than some others more techically inclined and performing but lacking this creative touch.

    Cultural difference might be of importance, too.

    Except for the criteria below, not sure 14Mp would make a difference one 12Mp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    In addition, I do some stock photography, and in that business, more resolution simply means more money.
    OK i was not aware of this. How come ?
    Stock files with higher resolution sells for higher rates ?
    (i'm not educated in stock)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    If I could afford it, I would like an M9 to replace my Fujis as well, but I can't
    But for pleasure purposes then -if i got your point.

  16. #966
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    From today's walk in crowded Bangkok.

    D80 with 70-300mm ED @ 85mm and f/14

    Jorgen, that's very good!

  17. #967
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    I don't, really, despite doing 1m+ banners for high-end and luxury technical products used in shows where people walk -and look- very close. But i guess it's a matter of client requirement and type of products, too.
    For me, it's particularly a problem with product photos of furniture. Some of them are used in large posters in furniture shops, where customers want a close look. It must be said though, that part of the problem is that my client sometimes requires detail photos without telling me first, and as a result crops out details of another photo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    The degree of demand probably lies in the nature of industrial clients then.
    Because being/having been in the advertisement, graphic design and prepress business for the better part of the last couple of decades, i've learned that except for a few specific cases (pharmaceutical trade etc.) and technical close ups (rarely needed in large formats for communication purposes) the sheer technicality of the picture was often less important than the "good light" in which the product was displayed.
    Technical details of machinery is one area that I encounter sometimes, where the full shot plus a blown up detail of the same shot is required. If the machinery is static, that can be solved by taking two shots using different focal lengths, but if the gear is in production, those shots may look different. Am I too picky here? Maybe I am, but one client made a re-shoot (without me) of one such detail because my shot lacked in detail.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    In others words it's been always easier to work (and sell) with photographers (like yourself) with more taste and creativity than some others more techically inclined and performing but lacking this creative touch.

    Cultural difference might be of importance, too.
    My most demanding clients are the best ones, simply because they know what they want, and make a good spec sheet in beforehand, but then I have no excuse to turn up without the equipment needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Except for the criteria below, not sure 14Mp would make a difference one 12Mp.
    But 12 to 18MP does, and after seeing a sample from the 7D converted from RAW (posted at some thread on dpr, but the image is from IR), I'm even more convinced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post

    OK i was not aware of this. How come ?
    Stock files with higher resolution sells for higher rates ?
    (i'm not educated in stock)
    It depends on the agency and of course the needs of their clients. For Alamy, it's very simple: the file must be at least 48MB tiff, which translates into a 16MP photo. They do accept up-sizing, but have become more picky lately. I've had a couple of rejects from the S5 for sharpness, and when they do that, they often reject the whole batch

    For microstock, which is where the money is for many photographers, the larger file sizes are simply sold for a higher price, which makes sense. A couple of dollars more may not sound like much, but if the photo is sold a hundred times or more, it's surely noticeable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post


    But for pleasure purposes then -if i got your point.
    I continue to use the S5 for portraits and some other stuff. Travel photos is a dilemma, since I sell an increasing number of them, and I prefer the Fuji colours for that, not to speak about the superior DR in tricky scenes. The M9, if it is as good as one should expect, would play a much more important role than the S5 does now, and my favourite combo would be M9 plus S2 (two of each body obviously) plus video, but with the price level on photography in this part of the world, buying a couple of Lamborghinis is probably more realistic

    Not much of the above, except industrial photography, is very interesting, but bread and butter stuff, and microstock is at the bottom of the hierarchy: challenging but boring. But money has to come from somewhere, and until enough people buy my "good" photos, the boring stuff has to be done as well.

    As things develop now, video seems to become as important as resolution. I'm involved in two different projects that will end up with books as well as internet and mobile internet, where the internet part will be updated on a continous basis and present the material in a different way than what is possible in a book. Video is an obvious part of that. Actually, logging of gps data will probably be required too, since some of the photos and videos will be linked to geographic locations on online maps. Very interesting and very challenging
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 8th September 2009 at 15:05.

  18. #968
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexLF View Post
    Jorgen, that's very good!
    Thanks Alex. I've been wanting to take that photo for a while, but I usually pass the place, which is outside one of Bangkok's largest shopping-malls, late in the afternoon when it's too crowded. Mid-day however, it's far too hot for anyone to sit their, and Thais are hysterically afraid of staying out in the sun. A "nice tan" is absolutely not in fashion here

  19. #969
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Colyn, Very peaceful and pretty.

    Jorgen, You seem to have found an uncrowded spot in crowded Bangkok. What are the empty bends used for? The frontal POV really works for this one.
    Thanks Cindy. Please see my answer to Alex

  20. #970
    Member colyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cowtown, USA
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Colyn, Very peaceful and pretty.
    Thanks Cindy..

    The marina is one of my favorite hangouts.. Pretty ladies and nice boats....

  21. #971
    Member colyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cowtown, USA
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    From today's walk in crowded Bangkok.
    Where was that scene when I was last in Bangkok??? 30 year ago....

    Very nice.. I like the lines..and curves..

  22. #972
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by colyn View Post
    Where was that scene when I was last in Bangkok??? 30 year ago....

    Very nice.. I like the lines..and curves..
    It's at the location for what was the most beautiful contemporary building in Bangkok: The Siam Intercontinental Hotel, with the park down towards the canal. A few years ago, they tore it all down, and built Siam Paragon, a giant luxury shopping mall instead, a place where you can by Lamborghinis off the shelf on the fourth floor. If that isn't progress, I don't know what is

    In that area, and all along the same road, Pra Ram I/Ploenchit, you can now visit no less than eight shopping malls, two of them among the largest in Asia, all connected by walkways above street level. For the lazy ones, the sky-train runs along the same stretch.

  23. #973
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NORCAL
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    jorgen

    you shots continue to amaze me. fantastic that you saw this and waited for the time to properly shoot it. thanks so much for your posts.

  24. #974
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    For me, it's particularly a problem with product photos of furniture. Some of them are used in large posters in furniture shops, where customers want a close look. It must be said though, that part of the problem is that my client sometimes requires detail photos without telling me first, and as a result crops out details of another photo.



    Technical details of machinery is one area that I encounter sometimes, where the full shot plus a blown up detail of the same shot is required. If the machinery is static, that can be solved by taking two shots using different focal lengths, but if the gear is in production, those shots may look different. Am I too picky here? Maybe I am, but one client made a re-shoot (without me) of one such detail because my shot lacked in detail.

    [...]
    Hi Jorgen,

    the examples above are indeed typical of cases where you're happy to have extra cropping possibilities afterwards.

    Thanks for your insight on stock photography, and the possible future of video integration. Till now the latter have been more of a gimmick with low quality stuff but it's true that the hi-rez ability of the new cameras combined with increased available bandwidth is bound to open new doors. when the day comes, having a video background will definitely be an ace in your sleeve.

    For the rest, well... i guess i'll wait -and live quite happily in the meantime- for the D700x.

  25. #975
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    C'mon guys, the M9/9/9/9 buzz seems to have killed all other parts of the Digital Cameras forums here.

    Remember that we F-mounted people () can still get terrific pictures:
    - above ISO 400 without mandatory investment into $3000+ dedicated lenses.
    - reasonnably in-focus most of the time.
    - without nice lines (grid style).



    (just kidding, unvaluable and estimable Leica friends)


    Don't let the first 24-hour without new pictures in the history of this thread go on. Post !

  26. #976
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    ...can't let Corian down. Here are a couple from Labor Day.





  27. #977
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Had the pleasure of shooting with a new model this Labor Day weekend. Her fair skin got pink from the sun pretty quickly so I opted for B&W.

  28. #978
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Hi Cindy, a nice way to keep the spirit up
    The band shot is very alive with your composition and focus, along with the sharp brass texture and subtle reflections. The vetrabns shot very good, too -though this tome one appears a bit more alive -and kicking- than the other fellow

    David- right, you did not want her to look too pinky. B&W's quite ok here and give this photo -on a relatively common theme- a sophisticated look. And even a slight touch of classic 50s for the ower part.
    (you definitely get serious models around... still in Jupiter ? Then i confirm again it has improved a lot over the last decade )

    Very nice, guys.

  29. #979
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Had the pleasure of shooting with a new model this Labor Day weekend. Her fair skin got pink from the sun pretty quickly so I opted for B&W.
    Beauty!! (Nice image and b/w too. )

  30. #980
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    ...can't let Corian down. Here are a couple from Labor Day.
    Classic, Cindy. Really nice.

  31. #981
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    A modest contribution in the B&W section, from the old world:


  32. #982
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    A modest contribution in the B&W section, from the old world:

    Beautiful b/w. Really nice image.

  33. #983
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    David, It looks like you had a lot more fun than I did.

    Corian, Thank you for your observations. I was near the end of the parade and the old Marines had walked a long way by the time they passed by me. The young people in the band were still full of pep.
    I like all of the textures in your cityscape. B+W suits the subject well.

    Lloyd, Thank you.

  34. #984
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Here's a street photo for you; Sukhumvit road in Bangkok, hidden among all the concrete. Think about it: 40 years ago, the temples were the landmarks of Bangkok

    D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 24mm and f/9


  35. #985
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Thanks, Cindy.
    These couple of pictures really makes one feel like he was there watching the parade and remembering it afterwards.
    (I kinda miss those friendly moments in american communities over the country).

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Beautiful b/w. Really nice image.
    Hello Lloyd, speaking of the devil... did you solve the M9 lines issue ? Just a rethorical question, i'll check the appropiate section...
    This aside, many thanks for your kind comments. Always appreciated.


    I've called the last picture posted "Alley to the Castle".
    Here's why, and here's what's behind the trees. Quite a visual shock when you're not prepared, like me not knowing the very town i was in just passing by looking for directions for a small village around...



    (a larger image gives better credit to the huge size of the construction and the visual impact, but the file size allowed here is naturally limited)

  36. #986
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Impressive POV Jorgen, for a none less impressive cityscape...
    I can't even make one single temple out with all the darn buildings

    On the technical side, is it me or is there a perceptible blue cast on this picture ?

  37. #987
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Here's a street photo for you; Sukhumvit road in Bangkok, hidden among all the concrete. Think about it: 40 years ago, the temples were the landmarks of Bangkok
    Not to forget the wonderful Klongs and waterways that connected Bangkok, when I move to Thailand in 1987, they were still there. I remember my first apartment was a backed by rain forest with wild animals and all. It was wonderful to have that in the center of the city, unfortunately a year later someone bought it from the government and started a construction project, unfortunately the rest is history...

  38. #988
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Had the pleasure of shooting with a new model this Labor Day weekend. Her fair skin got pink from the sun pretty quickly so I opted for B&W.
    I see that you were laboring away David. Her bathing suit reminds of Ursula Andress in the first James Bond movie, it must be the belt!

  39. #989
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Impressive POV Jorgen, for a none less impressive cityscape...
    I can't even make one single temple out with all the darn buildings

    On the technical side, is it me or is there a perceptible blue cast on this picture ?
    Actually, there are no temples on this stretch of Sukhumvit, and there never was. Don't ask me why, but one reason may be that a large portion of the area is owned by ethnic Indians.

    The light was rather peculiar when I took the photo. It's taken just before sunset, but the light was very blue, and whatever colour temperature I choose, it's off in some way or another. I didn't have much time to take this, since I was entering a meeting room as the last arriving participant. However, when I saw the beautiful light outside, I walked straight over to the window, while pulling out my camera, and started to take photos, somewhat to the surprise of the other meeting participants

  40. #990
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Here's a street photo for you; Sukhumvit road in Bangkok, hidden among all the concrete. Think about it: 40 years ago, the temples were the landmarks of Bangkok

    D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 24mm and f/9
    Interesting color... and oh my, Bangkok really has changed!

  41. #991
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Not to forget the wonderful Klongs and waterways that connected Bangkok, when I move to Thailand in 1987, they were still there. I remember my first apartment was a backed by rain forest with wild animals and all. It was wonderful to have that in the center of the city, unfortunately a year later someone bought it from the government and started a construction project, unfortunately the rest is history...
    David,
    It's getting worse. Along Sukhumvit between Nana and Thong Lo, it's getting increasingly difficult to find proper Thai food, particularly at street level. So the tourists, who are arriving to the hotels of this area by the thousands every day, are mostly offered hamburgers and "international" food, whatever that is

    Not so out here in Samut Prakan. The local restaurants don't even have English menus

  42. #992
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    LLoyd, thank you, credit goes to the model and her beautiful smile.

    Cindy, it was fun but it was hot. Had a ShamWow wrapped around my bald head like a turban and kept dousing it with bottled water Love your B&W's of the vets and the boys in the band.

    David, I was thinking Bo Derek but Ursala Andress is much more accurate. I'll post a walking out of the water shot tomorrow that my friend Andre took at the end of our shoot.

  43. #993
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Thanks, Cindy.
    These couple of pictures really makes one feel like he was there watching the parade and remembering it afterwards.
    (I kinda miss those friendly moments in american communities over the country).



    Hello Lloyd, speaking of the devil... did you solve the M9 lines issue ? Just a rethorical question, i'll check the appropiate section...
    This aside, many thanks for your kind comments. Always appreciated.


    I've called the last picture posted "Alley to the Castle".
    Here's why, and here's what's behind the trees. Quite a visual shock when you're not prepared, like me not knowing the very town i was in just passing by looking for directions for a small village around...



    (a larger image gives better credit to the huge size of the construction and the visual impact, but the file size allowed here is naturally limited)
    That would be a shock! As for the M9, I resolved the problem by returning it to Leica. Luckily, the rep was still at the shop. I've written a little more about it on that other thread, but basically, I'm on the sidelines until at least the third shipment, and may opt to wait a little longer while things work though.

  44. #994
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Jorgen, great perspective on that cityscape.

  45. #995
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Running in the rain at 9000 feet (~2750 meters) elevation, my wife participating in the Red Rock Relay; 180 miles. Her twelve-woman team (each woman running three relay legs... here my wife is running about 8 miles, in pouring rain, mud and cold) finished first overall for all-women teams, and were more than 3 hours 20 minutes ahead of their nearest competition.

    D300; 28-70/2.8 (through a rain covered windscreen on the car):


  46. #996
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Actually, there are no temples on this stretch of Sukhumvit, and there never was. Don't ask me why, but one reason may be that a large portion of the area is owned by ethnic Indians.

    The light was rather peculiar when I took the photo. It's taken just before sunset, but the light was very blue, and whatever colour temperature I choose, it's off in some way or another. I didn't have much time to take this, since I was entering a meeting room as the last arriving participant. However, when I saw the beautiful light outside, I walked straight over to the window, while pulling out my camera, and started to take photos, somewhat to the surprise of the other meeting participants
    OK - from your presentation i understood there was. So now you got me scrutinizing the picture for 5 minutes searching for the slighest indication of a temple

    Re the light, it was not intended as criticism, simply this cast (if added) is quite unusual and at the same time there was some indications that the light was indeed peculiar. Interesting. And it's quite in accordance with the theme.

  47. #997
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    That would be a shock! As for the M9, I resolved the problem by returning it to Leica. Luckily, the rep was still at the shop. I've written a little more about it on that other thread, but basically, I'm on the sidelines until at least the third shipment, and may opt to wait a little longer while things work though.
    Never easy to be an early player (and the more with Leica, apparently). It might be the safe route to wait a bit longer... on the other hand when paying this kind of money for a digital camera, we can easily imagine the kind of frustration generated by not being able to use it
    Hopefully you'll get a fine working body in no time.

    The Red Rock Relay sounds like quite a race
    As usual your picture communicates a strong sense of the required efforts and of the event environnement and conditions. The perspective with the distant second runner is simply great and tells the whole story.

  48. #998
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Never easy to be an early player (and the more with Leica, apparently). It might be the safe route to wait a bit longer... on the other hand when paying this kind of money for a digital camera, we can easily imagine the kind of frustration generated by not being able to use it
    Hopefully you'll get a fine working body in no time.

    The Red Rock Relay sounds like quite a race
    As usual your picture communicates a strong sense of the required efforts and of the event environnement and conditions. The perspective with the distant second runner is simply great and tells the whole story.
    Thanks Corlan. I have my M8 still, and am very happy with it. (Although I had problems with the first two copies I had... there can be problems when you're an early adopter. My D200 had the banding issues.)

    Here's a shot of the Red Rock Relay about 6 miles down the road from when I took the first. About 1000 feet lower in elevation, and no rain here. Both my wife (in the white), and the woman she's chasing, but hasn't quite caught yet, have shed their coats.

    D300; 28-70 @ 35/f8:


  49. #999
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Lloyd, Congratulations to your wife and her team. The second picture really conveys the uphill battle. It makes me tired just looking at them speeding up that hill.

  50. #1000
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Lloyd, Congratulations to your wife and her team. The second picture really conveys the uphill battle. It makes me tired just looking at them speeding up that hill.
    Thanks Cindy. It was a fun, but exhausting couple of days. They finished in 26 hours and 3 minutes. I shadowed them for most of the race... even in the dark through some spectacular thunderstorms. I'm still feeling the sleep deprivation. Speaking of which, I'm off to bed. Night all. :sleep006:

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •