Site Sponsors
Page 43 of 100 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,150 of 4957

Thread: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by leif e View Post
    Lloyd! Looks good. We dont celebrate Thanksgiving around here - at least not the way you do. Still; Im preparing an elk steak for dinner tonight. I did not shoot the big rascal myself (the gods forbid). The guilty party is the owner of a certain female, called Trixie. We got the meat as an in-direct thanks to Rulle (the bold male you see in above picture with my younger daughter) and his fathering of one (probably two, come New Year) litters of puppies. Guess we all have our talents.
    leif e
    Elk steak! A worth reward for sure. I guess one good shot (or perhaps two, in Rulle's part) deserves another, eh?

tetsrfun

what made it even more important/special was that our daughter-in-law was going to run it with us... her first ever 5K.
    My GF and her mother are runners....It's their fault that I ordered a 70-200 VR II....hopefully it will get here next week...their next full and 1/2 marathon are next Sat. :>)

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    what made it even more important/special was that our daughter-in-law was going to run it with us... her first ever 5K.
    My GF and her mother are runners....It's their fault that I ordered a 70-200 VR II....hopefully it will get here next week...their next full and 1/2 marathon are next Sat. :>)

Steve
    Very nice... both the coming runs and the coming lens! Which races are they doing?

We were able to get my daughter-in-law and her brother in a Santa Run this afternoon. Should be fun as the entry fee includes a Santa hat and shirt, which all runners wear during the race. Ironically, my wife just bought me the 70-200 VR II, which I picked up on Wednesday, and plan to use to shoot the race this afternoon.

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Very nice... both the coming runs and the coming lens! Which races are they doing?

We were able to get my daughter-in-law and her brother in a Santa Run this afternoon. Should be fun as the entry fee includes a Santa hat and shirt, which all runners wear during the race. Ironically, my wife just bought me the 70-200 VR II, which I picked up on Wednesday, and plan to use to shoot the race this afternoon.
    St. Jude Marathon and 1/2... Memphis, TN. IMO, Runners are a little "off"; this will be her fourth Marathon in ten months in addition to several 1/2s and 10 ks.

I have just recently been trying some race photos....the 24-70 tends to be too short and the 300 f/4 too long...the 70-200 should be just right!!!.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

St. Jude Marathon and 1/2... Memphis, TN. IMO, Runners are a little "off"; this will be her fourth Marathon in ten months in addition to several 1/2s and 10 ks.

I have just recently been trying some race photos....the 24-70 tends to be too short and the 300 f/4 too long...the 70-200 should be just right!!!.

Steve
    LOL. I know just what you mean. My wife just ran the NYC Marathon, and is doing Boston in April. She is doing 2 Halfs between now and then, along with some cross country ski and snowshoe races. She's primarily a triathlete (and a 10-time Ironman finisher), but does a number of running races each year, so yeah, a little "off" seems fair.

I think you'll be very pleased with the 70-200 at the race. It's my preferred lens for events. I've shot a few triathlons with the 200-400, but not being as mobile, combined with the longer focal length can be an issue at times. Looking forward to some examples.

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    thanks LLoyd no belive it or not it is the voigtlander 58mm F1.4 lens , I love that thing!!!
    Mounted on the Nikon with an adapter or did/do they make an "F" mount?

Steve

tetsrfun

and is doing Boston in April
    That is the GF's goal; a Boston qualifying time...she didn't make the NY lottery but will run Boston in April in a "fund raising" slot and hopes to get her Boston time in Boston. She is finding it hard to do enough miles in training runs and work 80+ hours a week.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

and is doing Boston in April
    That is the GF's goal; a Boston qualifying time...she didn't make the NY lottery but will run Boston in April in a "fund raising" slot and hopes to get her Boston time in Boston. She is finding it hard to do enough miles in training runs and work 80+ hours a week.

Steve
    Good luck to her on that, it is a challenge to it, but it seems easier after the first time.

I've tried myself a number of times, and had planned to try again at California International Marathon, but an injury, and some other health issues took that option away. My wife, on the other hand, has never had a problem. She got into NYC as an automatic qualifier, based on time, and started with the "Sub-Elites". She would like to run Boston under 3:00 this next year, but she works a lot as well, and then divides her training between so many sports (swimming, XC skiing, biking, etc.) that she doesn't have the run focus to hit the really fast times she used to do. But then, she's a grandmother, so it's not too shabby.

Again, best of luck to her, and maybe we'll see you in Boston.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Fun one indeed.
    Including the irony of the... Honda (?) guy idle at the photo left hand top corner.
    There were indeed some hard feelings among owners of Japanese bikes for this occasion. And the police in the front; they all rode BMWs

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    There were indeed some hard feelings among owners of Japanese bikes for this occasion. And the police in the front; they all rode BMWs
    Around here, at least, the BMW riders and the Harley riders respect each other. We had 4 Harleys over the years, but were quite surprised by the attitude we got when we bought a Honda Goldwing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A Christmas Portrait...

Seems to get earlier every year

Albert

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome.

We took ours at EPCOT three weeks ago.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Lloyd, beautiful portrait of your son.
    Matt, your Prince Rupert shots are otherworldly.
    This thread is wonderful!
    Osman
    They definitely look joyful! Your photo would make their day for guys like Pixar... Great catch!
    Thank you Osman.

I think I could go either way on those shots, Matt. I do like the color in the fog, however. Adds a little mystery the that b/w lacks. And I'm a huge fan of b/w.
    Gentlemen: Just getting back after Thanksgiving. Thanks for the comments. I think the color does have a slight edge for the reason Lloyd noted. I printed them both out today on Canson Rag Photographique Duo, 11x17. The matte finish seems to work well with these "foggy' photos. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Joint venture on the having a good time-front (not sharp)
    D200, Nikkor 2,0/24 AIS
    Leif: Good capture. The National Dog show is on television here every Thanksgiving. Is that a "working" or "sporting" dog? Cheers.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt.

This shot is really gorgeous. That blue on the left side has a palpable texture. Love the level of the light here. One of your best.
    +1. What Lloyd said. Cheers.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Matt's "bokeh monster" photos and Lloyd's question about the lens reminded me that I have an 85mm f/1.4 in my lens drawer. Here's a few shots from the other day with the D700 and the 85mm at f/1.4. Fun to play with. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Mounted on the Nikon with an adapter or did/do they make an "F" mount?

Steve
    Steve; the CV 1,4/58 is made for Nikon and has the chip for all electronic couplings. Great lens. Optically its a modern version of the 60s Topcon 58, I read somewhere.
    leif e
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or aid), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Leif: Good capture. The National Dog show is on television here every Thanksgiving. Is that a "working" or "sporting" dog? Cheers.

Rulle has to limit himself to the "sports", Im afraid. Hes a rural mix of Golden Retriever and Border Collie - the Border Collie coming through very strongly. We were dead scared last year when he slipped loose in the mountains and started chasing after some sheep. What he wanted, however, was to herd them; he had the mother and three lambs lying down in no time. Actually some people are mixing those two breeds on purpose now, to get good work dogs.

The great woods and the mountains are his places of choice ...
    Last edited by leif e; 16th May 2010 at 06:55.
    2,8/60 af-d

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt's "bokeh monster" photos and Lloyd's question about the lens reminded me that I have an 85mm f/1.4 in my lens drawer. Here's a few shots from the other day with the D700 and the 85mm at f/1.4. Fun to play with. Cheers.

Nice. I'm a huge fan of that lens, and these are great examples of why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rulle has to limit himself to the "sports", Im afraid. Hes a rural mix of Golden Retriever and Border Collie - the Border Collie coming through very strongly. We were dead scared last year when he slipped loose in the mountains and started chasing after some sheep. What he wanted, however, was to herd them; he had the mother and three lambs lying down in no time. Actually some people are mixing those two breeds on purpose now, to get good work dogs.

The great woods and the mountains are his places of choice ...
    Leif

I love your doggie portrait! Very good composition

Woody

tetsrfun

On the subject of "bokeh monsters" is the D-300 + CZ ('blad) 110mm f/2 combination worthwhile or just a gear-head affectation?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Waking up on Christmas morning...

D2Xs and 16-85mm VR zoom

Albert

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Woody!
    2,8/60 af-d

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanksgiving weekend here in the US. I find I have much to be thankful for, including the inspiration I get here on GetDPI. Thanks to all of you.
    What a nice photo and a thanksgiving manifesto.
    Best,
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like

I actually found a 10 dollar confederate bill here....not worth much but old and cool....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually found a 10 dollar confederate bill here....not worth much but old and cool....
    Wow, that is cool. Nice images as well.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

More nice images. What's the history of the place you're photographing (you probably said earlier). It seems unusually intact. Will the entire set be posted/published somewhere? Cheers.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

S5 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/4.0

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Love this!! Great shot, wonderful detail and crop. (And nostalgic for me. My first serious motorcycle was a 1963 FL Duo Glide. It looked good, but pissed oil on my leg, and left parts of itself all all over. Still, I loved that bike.)

tetsrfun

Love this!! Great shot, wonderful detail and crop. (And nostalgic for me. My first serious motorcycle was a 1963 FL Duo Glide. It looked good, but pissed oil on my leg, and left parts of itself all all over. Still, I loved that bike.)
    First bike...first love....Mine was a 650cc, vertical twin, 1955 BSA Road Rocket. Kept a cake pan under it to catch the oil drips and pushed it home more than once. New bikes just don't have personality. :>)

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

We were disappointed that our daughter-in-law missing out on the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day, so we found another run for her to do this past weekend. She ran the Santa Run 5K on Saturday, and was able to run with her brother (here eating a candy-cane as he runs... the Aid Stations served them, along with milk and cookies!), who was in town from Colorado. The Santa hats, beards and shirts were included in the entry. Good news is, she exceeded her own expectations and ran 4 minutes faster than her time goal.

D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII

A friend of ours ran as well, although in the "Full Santa Suit" division (he had to provide his own suit), and finished 1st Place overall.

Last edited by Lloyd; 30th November 2009 at 12:11.

tetsrfun

Well the 70-200 VR II just arrived, enough time for me to practice a bit before the next marathon.

Just put it on the D300 and shot a couple of hand held indoor, low light shots, I am no expert but Wow does this lens do a good job.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the 70-200 VR II just arrived, enough time for me to practice a bit before the next marathon.

Just put it on the D300 and shot a couple of hand held indoor, low light shots, I am no expert but Wow does this lens do a good job.

Steve
    Yes, I'm a believer. Those shots I just posted above were much better than what I was getting on the D3 with the VR I. (I do like the VRI on the D300, however.)

tetsrfun

Yes, I'm a believer.
    Me too..Not exactly high "art" but this is my first shot...inside, overhead light off, just put it on the D300, turned and fired at a book case. 200mm, 1/10 sec, f/2.8.

Steve
    Last edited by tetsrfun; 1st August 2010 at 18:30.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

We were disappointed that our daughter-in-law missing out on the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day, so we found another run for her to do this past weekend. She ran the Santa Run 5K on Saturday, and was able to run with her brother (here eating a candy-cane as he runs... the Aid Stations served them, along with milk and cookies!), who was in town from Colorado. The Santa hats, beards and shirts were included in the entry. Good news is, she exceeded her own expectations and ran 4 minutes faster than her time goal.

D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII

A friend of ours ran as well, although in the "Full Santa Suit" division (he had to provide his own suit), and finished 1st Place overall.
    Lloyd: Nice shots. My running days are over, but kudos to those that do. You must have just got that lens. It wasn't available last week at my camera pusher. It has nice bokeh. Look forward to more images. Have you tried it with a teleconverter? Cheers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: Nice shots. My running days are over, but kudos to those that do. You must have just got that lens. It wasn't available last week at my camera pusher. It has nice bokeh. Look forward to more images. Have you tried it with a teleconverter? Cheers.

Thanks Matt. Yes, it's very new. My wife ordered it for me as a surprise, and we picked it up on the day before Thanksgiving... every one our local camera pusher had was gone the first day. Other than the "Sad Girl" shot of my wife, taken on Thanksgiving, these shots were the "maiden voyage". I'm certainly pleased so far. I haven't had a chance to try it with a teleconverter. I only have the 1.4, but I do intend to give it a whirl soon.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

"A couple more foggy photos"

I can't help it. I love these Prince Rupert, BC, images taken in the fog. They're fun to PP. All of my usual processes clear away the fog. I'm having to take a much lighter approach to try to maintain the it. Thanks for any c & c. Cheers.

1. D3; 14-24mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/250s @ f/8; +1/3 EV; ISO 800

2. D3; 14-24mm f/2.8; 14mm; 1/50s @ f/22; +1/3 EV; ISO 800

3. D3; 14-24mm f/2.8; 20mm; 1/2500s @ f/2.8; +1/3 EV; ISO 800

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "A couple more foggy photos"

I can't help it. I love these Prince Rupert, BC, images taken in the fog. They're fun to PP. All of my usual processes clear away the fog. I'm having to take a much lighter approach to try to maintain the it. Thanks for any c & c. Cheers.

Very nice work, Matt. They certainly passed the "Mimi Test", she was sitting by me when I opened your post, and her immediate reaction was something like, "Oh, those are so nice... they draw you right in, and you feel like you're right there. I can feel the chill from here." She especially like the second one. I second her opinions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not worth much maybe, but your photos are priceles... the open book facing down the floor by the chair in the first one is a neat touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich textures, colors and reflections, 3D effect... perfect!
    The lettering on the tyre and shadow really finish up the image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3. D3; 14-24mm f/2.8; 20mm; 1/2500s @ f/2.8; +1/3 EV; ISO 800

Love the last one, Matt.
    After the "happy boats" in the last series, these two look proud and brave, ready to face the harsher weather. Fine angle on this shot.

LLoyd- nice new toy you have here... your friend in full Santa suit definitely got the winner attitude... and quite an efficient action focus point here, overall perspective is swell, too... good shot!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LLoyd- nice new toy you have here... your friend in full Santa suit definitely got the winner attitude... and quite an efficient action focus point here, overall perspective is swell, too... good shot!
    Thanks Corlan. Just don't say "toy" too often. My wife thinks it's a tool, rather than a toy... don't want her to find out the truth!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more from the Santa Run. All with the D3 and the new 70-200/2.8 VRII.

Did I mention there were a lot of Santas?

Some even had reindeer:

Some of the reindeer ran alone, however:

Some had a different take on the season:

Others were, well, sexy? (I love those buckles!)

And a few appeared more "enlightened":

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ha, nice series. Love the second one.
    Looks like the yellow stroller area on the first posted would deserve a crop in itself , for the extra sense of fun

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

ha, nice series. Love the second one.
    Looks like the yellow stroller area on the first posted would deserve a crop in itself , for the extra sense of fun
    Thanks, it was fun to shoot. By the way, that guy pushing the stroller was fast! He finished 5th overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, it was fun to shoot. By the way, that guy pushing the stroller was fast! He finished 5th overall.
    Fast, and strong!
    Too bad on this one the toddlers don't seem as joyful as much as on the previous one. Less "fun".
    Good one, though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fast, and strong!
    Too bad on this one the toddlers don't seem as joyful as much as on the previous one. Less "fun".
    Good one, though.
    I took another look at the start image, and I agree. I suspect the kids faces in the latter image reflect the fact that it was pretty cold... less reason to be happy.

Here's a crop of the first image (click for a larger version):
    Attachment 25326

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work, Matt. They certainly passed the "Mimi Test", she was sitting by me when I opened your post, and her immediate reaction was something like, "Oh, those are so nice... they draw you right in, and you feel like you're right there. I can feel the chill from here." She especially like the second one. I second her opinions.
    Lloyd/Mimi: Thanks. The little green building in the 2nd photo was the Cow Bay B & B where we were staying. Good work with your new tool. I had one on order, but switched my deposit over to the M9 (wrongly assuming it would arrive first). Now, I'll have to get back in line. I'm not expecting my wife to surprise me with one! My favorites are the last two runners. It will be interesting to see how it works with the TC-E14.

Corlan F: Thanks, also. They need to be tough! I was on a purse seiner for a summer out of Ketchikan, just North of Prince Rupert. The weather can be brutal.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

you lucky guys -- new 70-200 VRII's !! oh well, times are tough and i have to stick it out with my old VR1 for sometime...news stuff from the other day.
    Last edited by fultonpics; 1st December 2009 at 23:37.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fultonpics View Post
    you lucky guys -- new 70-200 VRII's !! oh well, times are tough and i have to stick it out with my old VR1 for sometime...news stuff from the other day.
    Looks like your suffering along pretty well. Nice shots!