The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Product posters and banners. I already struggle a bit with those.
I don't, really, despite doing 1m+ banners for high-end and luxury technical products used in shows where people walk -and look- very close. But i guess it's a matter of client requirement and type of products, too.

If I could just fool around and take the photos I want for my own pleasure, I would by a bunch of Fuji S5 and live happily ever after. But I do photography, graphic design and editorial work for a living, mostly for industrial enterprises. Clients with an engineering background couldn't care less about skin tones if they can't recognise every little detail of their great constructions.
The degree of demand probably lies in the nature of industrial clients then.
Because being/having been in the advertisement, graphic design and prepress business for the better part of the last couple of decades, i've learned that except for a few specific cases (pharmaceutical trade etc.) and technical close ups (rarely needed in large formats for communication purposes) the sheer technicality of the picture was often less important than the "good light" in which the product was displayed.

In others words it's been always easier to work (and sell) with photographers (like yourself) with more taste and creativity than some others more techically inclined and performing but lacking this creative touch.

Cultural difference might be of importance, too.

Except for the criteria below, not sure 14Mp would make a difference one 12Mp.

In addition, I do some stock photography, and in that business, more resolution simply means more money.
OK i was not aware of this. How come ?
Stock files with higher resolution sells for higher rates ?
(i'm not educated in stock)

If I could afford it, I would like an M9 to replace my Fujis as well, but I can't :(
But for pleasure purposes then -if i got your point. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't, really, despite doing 1m+ banners for high-end and luxury technical products used in shows where people walk -and look- very close. But i guess it's a matter of client requirement and type of products, too.
For me, it's particularly a problem with product photos of furniture. Some of them are used in large posters in furniture shops, where customers want a close look. It must be said though, that part of the problem is that my client sometimes requires detail photos without telling me first, and as a result crops out details of another photo.

The degree of demand probably lies in the nature of industrial clients then.
Because being/having been in the advertisement, graphic design and prepress business for the better part of the last couple of decades, i've learned that except for a few specific cases (pharmaceutical trade etc.) and technical close ups (rarely needed in large formats for communication purposes) the sheer technicality of the picture was often less important than the "good light" in which the product was displayed.
Technical details of machinery is one area that I encounter sometimes, where the full shot plus a blown up detail of the same shot is required. If the machinery is static, that can be solved by taking two shots using different focal lengths, but if the gear is in production, those shots may look different. Am I too picky here? Maybe I am, but one client made a re-shoot (without me) of one such detail because my shot lacked in detail.

In others words it's been always easier to work (and sell) with photographers (like yourself) with more taste and creativity than some others more techically inclined and performing but lacking this creative touch.

Cultural difference might be of importance, too.
My most demanding clients are the best ones, simply because they know what they want, and make a good spec sheet in beforehand, but then I have no excuse to turn up without the equipment needed.

Except for the criteria below, not sure 14Mp would make a difference one 12Mp.
But 12 to 18MP does, and after seeing a sample from the 7D converted from RAW (posted at some thread on dpr, but the image is from IR), I'm even more convinced.

OK i was not aware of this. How come ?
Stock files with higher resolution sells for higher rates ?
(i'm not educated in stock)
It depends on the agency and of course the needs of their clients. For Alamy, it's very simple: the file must be at least 48MB tiff, which translates into a 16MP photo. They do accept up-sizing, but have become more picky lately. I've had a couple of rejects from the S5 for sharpness, and when they do that, they often reject the whole batch :(

For microstock, which is where the money is for many photographers, the larger file sizes are simply sold for a higher price, which makes sense. A couple of dollars more may not sound like much, but if the photo is sold a hundred times or more, it's surely noticeable.

But for pleasure purposes then -if i got your point. :)
I continue to use the S5 for portraits and some other stuff. Travel photos is a dilemma, since I sell an increasing number of them, and I prefer the Fuji colours for that, not to speak about the superior DR in tricky scenes. The M9, if it is as good as one should expect, would play a much more important role than the S5 does now, and my favourite combo would be M9 plus S2 (two of each body obviously) plus video, but with the price level on photography in this part of the world, buying a couple of Lamborghinis is probably more realistic :ROTFL:

Not much of the above, except industrial photography, is very interesting, but bread and butter stuff, and microstock is at the bottom of the hierarchy: challenging but boring. But money has to come from somewhere, and until enough people buy my "good" photos, the boring stuff has to be done as well.

As things develop now, video seems to become as important as resolution. I'm involved in two different projects that will end up with books as well as internet and mobile internet, where the internet part will be updated on a continous basis and present the material in a different way than what is possible in a book. Video is an obvious part of that. Actually, logging of gps data will probably be required too, since some of the photos and videos will be linked to geographic locations on online maps. Very interesting and very challenging :)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, that's very good!
Thanks Alex. I've been wanting to take that photo for a while, but I usually pass the place, which is outside one of Bangkok's largest shopping-malls, late in the afternoon when it's too crowded. Mid-day however, it's far too hot for anyone to sit their, and Thais are hysterically afraid of staying out in the sun. A "nice tan" is absolutely not in fashion here :rolleyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Where was that scene when I was last in Bangkok??? 30 year ago....

Very nice.. I like the lines..and curves..
It's at the location for what was the most beautiful contemporary building in Bangkok: The Siam Intercontinental Hotel, with the park down towards the canal. A few years ago, they tore it all down, and built Siam Paragon, a giant luxury shopping mall instead, a place where you can by Lamborghinis off the shelf on the fourth floor. If that isn't progress, I don't know what is :rolleyes:

In that area, and all along the same road, Pra Ram I/Ploenchit, you can now visit no less than eight shopping malls, two of them among the largest in Asia, all connected by walkways above street level. For the lazy ones, the sky-train runs along the same stretch.

fultonpics

jorgen

you shots continue to amaze me. fantastic that you saw this and waited for the time to properly shoot it. thanks so much for your posts.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
For me, it's particularly a problem with product photos of furniture. Some of them are used in large posters in furniture shops, where customers want a close look. It must be said though, that part of the problem is that my client sometimes requires detail photos without telling me first, and as a result crops out details of another photo.

Technical details of machinery is one area that I encounter sometimes, where the full shot plus a blown up detail of the same shot is required. If the machinery is static, that can be solved by taking two shots using different focal lengths, but if the gear is in production, those shots may look different. Am I too picky here? Maybe I am, but one client made a re-shoot (without me) of one such detail because my shot lacked in detail.

[...]
Hi Jorgen,

the examples above are indeed typical of cases where you're happy to have extra cropping possibilities afterwards.

Thanks for your insight on stock photography, and the possible future of video integration. Till now the latter have been more of a gimmick with low quality stuff but it's true that the hi-rez ability of the new cameras combined with increased available bandwidth is bound to open new doors. when the day comes, having a video background will definitely be an ace in your sleeve. :thumbup:

For the rest, well... i guess i'll wait -and live quite happily in the meantime- for the D700x. :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
C'mon guys, the M9/9/9/9 buzz seems to have killed all other parts of the Digital Cameras forums here.

Remember that we F-mounted people :)D) can still get terrific pictures:
- above ISO 400 without mandatory investment into $3000+ dedicated lenses.
- reasonnably in-focus most of the time.
- without nice lines (grid style).

:deadhorse:

(just kidding, unvaluable and estimable Leica friends)

Don't let the first 24-hour without new pictures in the history of this thread go on. Post !

David K

Workshop Member
Had the pleasure of shooting with a new model this Labor Day weekend. Her fair skin got pink from the sun pretty quickly so I opted for B&W.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi Cindy, a nice way to keep the spirit up :)
The band shot is very alive with your composition and focus, along with the sharp brass texture and subtle reflections. The vetrabns shot very good, too -though this tome one appears a bit more alive -and kicking- than the other fellow ;)

David- right, you did not want her to look too pinky. B&W's quite ok here and give this photo -on a relatively common theme- a sophisticated look. And even a slight touch of classic 50s for the ower part.
(you definitely get serious models around... still in Jupiter ? Then i confirm again it has improved a lot over the last decade :( :))

Very nice, guys.