Page 53 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,650 of 4957

Thread: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Jorgen, this whole series is wonderful, simply put it's like we've been there.
    On the technical side, the 85 seems to render a bit more saturated colors than the Tamron, at least under these conditions.
    Btw i was wondering what kind of metering you were using here to avoid specular highlights and even get rich colors instead. I rarely do this kind of shots so it's just a feeling, but it seems particularly good on your series.
    Thanks, Corlan. You bring up two interesting questions. I agree that the 85mm renders the colours more saturated, particularly when both lenses are used wide open or near wide open. Two or three camera bodies, each with one prime lens, would probably be the best solution for a concert like this.

I've found that center-weighted metering gives the best results for concerts, unless the subject fills the frame, in which case I use spot-metering. This is particularly true for rock concerts, where light is changing rapidly. That doesn't seem to affect center-weighted as much as other metering methods, simply because it's less exact. I mostly dial in EV -1, but that may vary by as much a +/- 1EV.

Another challenge with rock concerts is the vibrations. At this one, I took many shots hanging by one arm and one leg from one of the loudspeaker towers. Apart from the fact that it's uncomfortable, I tried to click the shutter between the beats, since the deep bass blurs the photos.

The high ISO limitations of the D80 is a challenge too. If I was doing this for money, I would probably have to buy a D700 or D3s, but they are rather big and heavy, and FX means larger lenses as well. A Pentax K-x, with its excellent low-light capabilities, would be a cheap alternative, and the Pentax primes would be exactly what I need, but concerts are just the situations where one needs to see what focusing point is active, and that's not a feature on the K-x.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter's Bearded Dragon, Freddy T!

Freddy's Lunch!
    D3, zeiss 100 makro planar, nikon 50 1.2 ais
    Some with D700, zf 100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Thanks, Corlan. You bring up two interesting questions. I agree that the 85mm renders the colours more saturated, particularly when both lenses are used wide open or near wide open. Two or three camera bodies, each with one prime lens, would probably be the best solution for a concert like this.

I've found that center-weighted metering gives the best results for concerts, unless the subject fills the frame, in which case I use spot-metering. This is particularly true for rock concerts, where light is changing rapidly. That doesn't seem to affect center-weighted as much as other metering methods, simply because it's less exact. I mostly dial in EV -1, but that may vary by as much a +/- 1EV.

Another challenge with rock concerts is the vibrations. At this one, I took many shots hanging by one arm and one leg from one of the loudspeaker towers. Apart from the fact that it's uncomfortable, I tried to click the shutter between the beats, since the deep bass blurs the photos.

The high ISO limitations of the D80 is a challenge too. If I was doing this for money, I would probably have to buy a D700 or D3s, but they are rather big and heavy, and FX means larger lenses as well. A Pentax K-x, with its excellent low-light capabilities, would be a cheap alternative, and the Pentax primes would be exactly what I need, but concerts are just the situations where one needs to see what focusing point is active, and that's not a feature on the K-x.
    Thanks Jogen for the insight.
    Funny enough, beside the Pentax section i came pretty much to the same conclusions, though without the same level of result quality.

Guess it has something to do with luck then. Or is it with skills?
    Last edited by Corlan F.; 30th December 2009 at 05:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jogen for the insight.
    Funny enough, beside the Pentax section i came pretty much to the same conclusions, though without the same level of result quality.

Guess it has something to do with luck then. Or is it skills?
    Must be luck. Luck is mostly a result of hard work

Although I mostly use matrix or spot metering with Nikon, I've never grown fond of the former. Under difficult lighting circumstances, it sometimes becomes unpredictable. With center-weighted, I have to do the thinking myself, which is often preferable. But then I used Olympus OM for over 30 years. Olympus did very well with the traditional methods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Must be luck. Luck is mostly a result of hard work
    Like 90%? (or is iot 95%?)

Honestly i was hoping that i got it all wrong and that you would answer around the matrix metering process -which i don't favor. "Too bad", still some work to figure out the best options and methods.

Having said that, valuable point about the vibrations issues. Photography wise, i did more classical music venues, where bass is a totally different matter. Unlike what most people think, bass is -much- stronger in the lower octaves, but on most instances less on a beat, so less surprising. I still wait to see a picture of you hangin' from the bass tower, though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve, the dragons are nice, but the lunch is just perfect

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, the dragons are nice, but the lunch is just perfect
    Thanks Jorgen!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

And another...

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0
    My fav of the series. Beautiful color here. Is the WB hard to figure out?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post

Freddy's Lunch!
    Some with D700, zf 100
    Gorgeous shots, Steve. I covet your glass collection, bro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    My fav of the series. Beautiful color here. Is the WB hard to figure out?
    Thanks Lloyd.

With mixed or stage lighting I usually start with 4200K. In this case, that was more or less correct for the shots with mixed stage lighting. I only shoot RAW, so I sometimes adjust up to 4500 or 4600 if the image is too cold, but often, it's easier to keep the character of the stage lighting by using Colour Balance in PS. Green to magenta if the skin is too green and yellow to blue if it's too yellow. I rarely use the cyan to red slider, but make the reds lighter (or reduce saturation of the reds) if needed. I find this easier with Caucasian skin, particularly if it's well lit, since I mostly need to adjust the highlights only. Asian skin is more difficult, and tends to look too yellow, even if the surroundings look correct, and since it's luminance is mostly similar to the surroundings, I have to treat Asian faces separately from the rest of the image.

Edit: Lek, the musician in the last photo, is tricky. His glasses have a silvery shine, and are extremely reflective (They look cool when he's on his Harley though ). Just pure luck that I got him without reflections in this shot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous shots, Steve. I covet your glass collection, bro.
    Lloyd, if your ever out this way, my bag is your bag! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a tighter crop with colour adjustment; green to magenta, mid-tones and shadows. With the adjustments, the photo looks more "natural", but doesn't reflect the ambient green lighting, which is still visible in his hair.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a tighter crop with colour adjustment; green to magenta, mid-tones and shadows. With the adjustments, the photo looks more "natural", but doesn't reflect the ambient green lighting, which is still visible in his hair.

Thanks for the explanation, Jorgen. I've really struggled at times, and I appreciated the tips. This shot looks really natural. Nice work.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, if your ever out this way, my bag is your bag! Thanks!
    Thanks for the offer. I just may take you up on that. I'd love to spend a day shooting with you sometime. Especially if it involved dinner say at Mossimo's!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the offer. I just may take you up on that. I'd love to spend a day shooting with you sometime. Especially if it involved dinner say at Mossimo's!
    207 Endicott St. North End. Then Mikes for Cannolis!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, that's interesting again. Incidentally for this part i happen to have about the same problem and to use a similar bag of tricks with... paintings.
    I'll have to post some (practically never do like most of the pro work because of rights etc.), someday. Gallery lighting, or even regular mixed lighting with from windows turns out a nightmare pretty fast. More than often you end up opting for a compromise based on "artistic reality" much more than an attempt for "reproduction".

Btw the last crop from the concert is super nice.

(and seeing some spec HL, some CA etc. makes us feel less alone i guess)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve, nice word with the Zeis 100M!
    Lunch looks quite tempting indeed, great colors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

207 Endicott St. North End. Then Mikes for Cannolis!
    You know it bro!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, nice word with the Zeis 100M!
    Lunch looks quite tempting indeed, great colors
    Thanks Corlan. I actually just sold my nikon 105vr because i preferred the slightly punchier color & bokeh on the ZF 100. Lunch or dinner in the North End is always a treat!
    You know it bro!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, that's interesting again. Incidentally for this part i happen to have about the same problem and to use a similar bag of tricks with... paintings.
    I'll have to post some (practically never do like most of the pro work because of rights etc.), someday. Gallery lighting, or even regular mixed lighting with from windows turns out a nightmare pretty fast. More than often you end up opting for a compromise based on "artistic reality" much more than an attempt for "reproduction".

Btw the last crop from the concert is super nice.

(and seeing some spec HL, some CA etc. makes us feel less alone i guess)
    Ha ha... I started removing CA from one of the photos, only to realise that it was reflections from the stage lighting But obviously, perfect concert shots at big events are very hard to get. A perfect lens, like the 200/2.0 on an FX body from a dedicated shooting position perfectly located in front of the stage would be nice, but now we are talking dreams on so many levels that I can hardly count them

"Artistic Reality" is a good expression. I'll remember that. Twice per year, I do product shots at an improvised studio at a factory, with a mix of daylight, an abundance of light sources from the factory itself and my own strobes. Luckily, most of the photos are being used isolated on white, so I only have to concentrate on getting the product colours right. That was when I concluded that 4200K was a good compromise, but I also found that different materials and different colours reflect light differently. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

As for the super nice crop; I actually think that it's a bit too nice, but that's the way Thai artists, and most other Asians as well, look on stage. A female pop artist here in Thailand has a clothing brand called "Strawberry Punk". That pretty much describes it. Even when they try to look like outcasts, their politeness shines through, except for those who really are outcasts, but none of these guys are.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A couple from Christmas at my sister's. As you can see, I'm really a pain at family gatherings. Thanks for looking. Cheers.

1. D700; 50mm f/1.4G; 1/40s @ f/4; ISO 2500 (my niece's son , my mother and my sister)

2. D700; 50mm f/1.4G; 1/25s @ f/2.2; ISO 3200 (my mother, my nephew, my daughter and my niece's boys in the background)

3. D700; 50mm f/1.4G; 1/40s @ f/1.4; ISO 1000 (my daughter and her husband)

4. D700; 50mm f/1.4G; 1/40s @ f/1.8; ISO 2800 (my niece's son and my brother-in-law)

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Freddy's Lunch!
    Some with D700, zf 100
    Awesome! Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt, sounds like quality family time. A lot of warmth... nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Corlan. I actually just sold my nikon 105vr because i preferred the slightly punchier color & bokeh on the ZF 100.
    Hi Steve, on this one allow me to not totaly agree. The contest between the two lens is extremely close, fine results depend on your style of shooting with this focal range... bokeh on the Nikon is also fantastic, and IMO saturation varies substantially with processing software and technique. I'd agree with you that the Zeiss might have a slight edge there (on specific distances though), but it also has more CA issues, and don't allow 1:1. No AF of course, and no VR when you need it, so less flexible. I do love both, but results were close enough for me to make the other route around: keeping the 105VR... and complement it with the Zeiss 50M.

Truly, with just the Zeiss 21mm (28mm would be ok too), the only lens missing to cover 100% of my use would be the, er... 200mm VR.

Of course, as always, to each his own...
    All of these are top notch anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ha ha... I started removing CA from one of the photos, only to realise that it was reflections from the stage lighting But obviously, perfect concert shots at big events are very hard to get. A perfect lens, like the 200/2.0 on an FX body from a dedicated shooting position perfectly located in front of the stage would be nice, but now we are talking dreams on so many levels that I can hardly count them
    I was strictly referring to the last crop, on the vertical section of the drum the jpeg looks like there's a tiny bit of CA (and some spec HL on this version). As said earlier one of the great achievements in this series of yours is the relative lack of artefacts, truly remarkable considering the conditions and the equipment -very good, but potentialy improvable .

"Artistic Reality" is a good expression. I'll remember that. Twice per year, I do product shots at an improvised studio at a factory, with a mix of daylight, an abundance of light sources from the factory itself and my own strobes. Luckily, most of the photos are being used isolated on white, so I only have to concentrate on getting the product colours right. That was when I concluded that 4200K was a good compromise, but I also found that different materials and different colours reflect light differently. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
    White background isolation is a great advantage for sure. As you say, "different materials and different colours reflect light differently" and when you have to shoot in uncontrolled situation it's often a nightmare in this regard. Then sometimes 4200K sounds like good to work with and allows for some latitude... for example on a recent gallery series with dim, mixed lighting, shot on a tripod with long exposures, temp revolves around 2700 to 3000K (!) to get the paintings colors right.

I guess that's when the notion of Artistic Reality occured to me...

Last edited by Corlan F.; 31st December 2009 at 05:36.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve, on this one allow me to not totaly agree. The contest between the two lens is extremely close, fine results depend on your style of shooting with this focal range... bokeh on the Nikon is also fantastic, and IMO saturation varies substantially with processing software and technique. I'd agree with you that the Zeiss might have a slight edge there (on specific distances though), but it also has more CA issues, and don't allow 1:1. No AF of course, and no VR when you need it, so less flexible. I do love both, but results were close enough for me to make the other route around: keeping the 105VR... and complement it with the Zeiss 50M.

Truly, with just the Zeiss 21mm (28mm would be ok too), the only lens missing to cover 100% of my use would be the, er... 200mm VR.

Of course, as always, to each his own...
    All of these are top notch anyway
    Corlan, I meant no disrespect to the 105Vr, because i truly Loved it! It was just a subjective thing & also needed money towards the M9! I also parted with the 24-70, 14-24 & 135DC to further fund the Leica! Im more of a Prime shooter now, although i"ll never get rid of the 70-200vr vers 1!
    I just felt i didn't need 2 macros, so one had to go...

Happy New Year C!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, Thanks for sharing these special shots of the family! Love the one of your mom & her Christmas outfit! Cherish them, as i know you do! Happy & Healthy New Year to All!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, sounds like quality family time. A lot of warmth... nice.
    I agree, very nice Matt. +1

Nothing like good family time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing im going to practice more in 2010 is keeping things in perspective & learning how to Smile more....

My daughter Brenna

Stacy & Helmut Newton Jr.
    My friend's, Laura & Chris! btw, i now own 4 different pair's of those!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. We did have a good time at Christmas.

Steve: I, too, sold a bunch of Nikon gear to finance my M9. But, I kept the 105 VR for the reasons Corlan noted (didn't have the Zeiss 100). It fits nicely "between" the 24-70 and the 70-200.

++1 for your resolution. Your photos already made me smile. Good start to a new (and better) year.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing im going to practice more in 2010 is keeping things in perspective & learning how to Smile more....
    Great shots of beautiful people.

Have a great New Year, my friend.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

To all my great friends here on the Nikon forum. Thanks for all the encouragement and inspiration. Very, very much appreciated! Here's hoping you all have a wonderful New Year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great smiles, Steve. I particularly like the second one.

A wonderful New Year to you too Lloyd, and to everybody else on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now that's a good NY resolution... and beautifully illustrated
    Sounds like the sketch artist and the various members of the "Newton MK10" tribe will run point on this one

A very Happy New Year to all of you!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Thanks everyone. We did have a good time at Christmas.

Steve: I, too, sold a bunch of Nikon gear to finance my M9. But, I kept the 105 VR for the reasons Corlan noted (didn't have the Zeiss 100). It fits nicely "between" the 24-70 and the 70-200.

++1 for your resolution. Your photos already made me smile. Good start to a new (and better) year.

Cheers,

Thanks Matt!
    Great shots of beautiful people.

Have a great New Year, my friend.
    Thanks & You 2 Double L!
    Great smiles, Steve. I particularly like the second one.

A wonderful New Year to you too Lloyd, and to everybody else on this forum.
    Thanks Jorgen! H.N.Y.!
    Now that's a good NY resolution... and beautifully illustrated
    Sounds like the sketch artist and the various members of the "Newton MK10" tribe will run point on this one

A very Happy New Year to all of you!
    Thanks C! H.N.Y.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still documenting the old ways in the area. Light was interesting a little bit before sunset yesterday on New Year's eve, so i decided to take a drive around shooting some of the many roadside crucifixes and other christian artefacts present in the region.

Got two shots to be submitted for publishing -of course the small posted jpeg kills a large chunk of the smooth gradient, a lot of details and and some light, but... what do you think?

Here's the first one:

straight C1 conversion with nothing but a tad of vignetting, no crop or photoshop except for bw and a slight curves layer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The other one, different place farther down the road, just before nightfall:

straight C1 conversion with nothing but a tad of vignetting, no crop or photoshop except for bw and a slight curves layer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Corlan, the first image is side lit beautifully! The second image is framed & lit exquisitely! The 2nd one is Powerful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The second one is excellent, Corlan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve and Jorgen described it perfectly. +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My camera complained that it hadn't been used so far this year, so I wandered off into the streets and fired off a few shots.

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not much this guy could do to escape being photographed

D80 with 70-300 ED @ 145mm and f/7.1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

His friends were there to.

D80 with 70-300 ED @ 180mm and f/7.1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Time to go home, on one of Bangkok's comfortable passenger ferries...

D80 with 70-300 ED @ 210mm and f/8.0

... but maybe there's time for a shower on the way?

D80 with 70-300 ED @ 240mm and f/5.6

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys
    The light was definitely unusual in that last afternoon of the year (well, by our common calendar that is).

Jorgen, a fine set as usual. Probably the last one posted is the most original as opposed to the common occidental ways. Perfect action moment, subtle hues. I like it.

(btw the first two look a lot like some from your S5...)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen...Nat Geo Worthy! Stupendous!

mikoo

D300 18-200mm + CPL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikoo View Post

D300 18-200mm + CPL
    Wow. Amazing. This last one in particular.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen...Nat Geo Worthy! Stupendous!
    I agree in total. Great series, Jorgen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikoo View Post

D300 18-200mm + CPL