Quote Originally Posted by Jason Muelver View Post
    Drive By....
    Good one

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    But my living-room is rather tidy

D80 with 80-200 AF-S @ 80mm and f/9.0

Actually, it's a studio shot from this morning. I was picked up at 6 P.M. with all my gear, including 6 strobes with stands, to a factory way out in the middle of nowhere, to take photos of 2 two recliner chairs. One of them had to be white, isolated on white, straight from the camera. And I don't even own a meter
    That's OK. I don't own that many strobes. Awesome and challenging work!

Especially since that's not even post processed. That will be even better.

Funny how much better the pictures turn out when they are wonderful straight out of the camera!

Great stuff!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jason. Usually when I work for those people, we do five pieces of furniture per hour for two days non-stop, each piece in around 10 different positions. That's a bit more stressful, particularly since some of the furniture is literally arriving unassembled from the production line and assembled on the studio floor. The limited time is also the reason for the number of strobes; because of this, I need to cover every angle by rotating the chair or sofa, mostly without moving any of the strobes. Adding to the challenge is a ceiling height of less than 250cm (around 8 feet), and yes, the ceiling is white.

This is all a result of lots of experimenting. Until three years ago, I hardly knew what a studio strobe looked like, but I participated in a local workshop and adapted what I learned to real life. During the process, I've learned that unlimited amounts of tape and cardboard in assorted shades of gray, black and white is at least as important as how fancy the lighting equipment is.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jason. Usually when I work for those people, we do five pieces of furniture per hour for two days non-stop, each piece in around 10 different positions. That's a bit more stressful, particularly since some of the furniture is literally arriving unassembled from the production line and assembled on the studio floor. The limited time is also the reason for the number of strobes; because of this, I need to cover every angle by rotating the chair or sofa, mostly without moving any of the strobes. Adding to the challenge is a ceiling height of less than 250cm (around 8 feet), and yes, the ceiling is white.

This is all a result of lots of experimenting. Until three years ago, I hardly knew what a studio strobe looked like, but I participated in a local workshop and adapted what I learned to real life. During the process, I've learned that unlimited amounts of tape and cardboard in assorted shades of gray, black and white is at least as important as how fancy the lighting equipment is.
    2.5M white ceiling? 3 strobes bounced off at congruent angles and 2 strobe softbox or through umbrellas to soften and eliminate shadows?

I need to learn about studio lighting. I'm so impressed!

Two more weeks and I'm in your neighborhood!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My standard setup for furniture is as follows:

- One strobe with softbox on the left, as high up as I can get it, pointed 30-45 degrees down. One of two main lights.
    - One small strobe on the left, almost at floor level, low power but only softened with a couple of layers of semi-transparent plastic. This is to avoid hard shadows under the armrest.
    - One strobe with reflective (silver) umbrella high up on the right. Lower power than the one on the left, but more contrasty light.
    - One strobe lower down on the right with a small softbox or a transparent umbrella. This is to give even lighting when shooting sofas from the front and recliners from the side. This is also the one that was too hot yesterday.
    - Two strobes symmetrically on the background, shielded from the product with cardboard that is black, corrugated (totally non-reflective) on the side towards the furniture and white, reflective on the side towards the background.

Because of the low ceiling, I often use cardboard or black fabric to avoid light from the strobes reflected in the ceiling. This is particularly important with the background strobes, and when shooting products with black, reflective, horisontal surfaces.

I would like to experiment with two tall light boxes, one on each side, but they are expensive, so I've pulled the brakes until I can get a studio with a higher ceiling. One of the beauties of the system that I have now, is that it goes into three bags, one for the three large strobes and all cables, one for all stands, softboxes, umbrellas, tape and whatever and on ThinkTank Airport Addicted for four small strobes, two camera bodies, lenses, chargers etc. All in all, just over 40 kilos. If I have to go by air, I skip the bag with the three large strobes, take the ThinkTank as carry on luggage, and I'm all set
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 26th January 2010 at 19:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Steen, the IQ & Color are Superb on the "Junk" house!

Viablex....This would be a cool place for some eclectic model shooting...

TR...Did you pull the trigger on the Zeiss 100 yet?
    I agree I need to get to work!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little late to the party (Left Coast). Great photos and interesting comments. Thanks everybody for sharing. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terrific job you did there Jorgen, really.
    And great insight, with a particularly bounding location.

A couple of questions though, if you don't mind.
    I guess this time you shot Manual mode, what was the actual speed? SOmething like 1/160th or 1/200th?
    Was it a trial and error not having a meter?
    Last, how do you synchronize (chords, PW, auto detection with pop flash...)?

If the posted image is pretty much on echot "out of camera", what i find the most
    impressive is the HL reflections in the metal legs (while keeping details and good exposure allowing details on the white leather).

Great skills are required to achieve that kind of details, exposure and structured lighting especially in not-so-controlled conditions and a relatively reasonnable level of equipment.
    (though i also see there another proof that this 80-200mm is a treat)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Muelver View Post
    Drive By....
    Very moody, Jason. Nice!

Matt, Steen, we should have a section specialized in Decay and other Decrepiture of Western 20th Century.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jason. Answers in the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Terrific job you did there Jorgen, really.
    And great insight, with a particularly bounding location.

A couple of questions though, if you don't mind.
    I guess this time you shot Manual mode, what was the actual speed? SOmething like 1/160th or 1/200th?

Manual mode and 1/60th. A faster shutter speed would have been better, since I would pick up less ambient light, but I've found the right WB for this speed with the current setup, so I'm leaving it at that for the moment.

Was it a trial and error not having a meter?

Yes, it was a trial and error, but I've been taking product shots there for 5-10 days every year for the last 4 years, so I don't start from scratch every time. I started with 2 strobes though, then went to 5 and now 6 plus a backup.

Last, how do you synchronize (chords, PW, auto detection with pop flash...)?

I use IR, but I'll change to PW or something similar later this year. IR isn't 100% reliable.

If the posted image is pretty much on echot "out of camera", what i find the most
    impressive is the HL reflections in the metal legs (while keeping details and good exposure allowing details on the white leather).

I always bracket 3 shots (different apertures) in 1/3 steps, 4 shots with black leather. Black leather is the most difficult, since details often disappears if it's only slightly underexposed, so I have an extra overexposed shot, just in case.

Great skills are required to achieve that kind of details, exposure and structured lighting especially in not-so-controlled conditions and a relatively reasonnable level of equipment.
    (though i also see there another proof that this 80-200mm is a treat)

The 80-200 is a bit long on DX for this, and I'm mostly at 80mm. I'm considering a Tokina 50-135. An alternative would be to upgrade to FX, obviously, but the cost would be higher. I can almost get a D300s plus the Tokina for the price of the D700. I do think the 80-200 AF-S is one of the best lenses Nikon has ever made. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the lens they looked at when updating the 70-200.
    Edit: If you look at the central leg of the ottoman, you can actually see that the lower left strobe is placed lower than the one to the right. The right one is partly shaded by the pillow. This is deliberate and one of the challenges; the furniture should be very evenly lit but still with small variations to avoid making it look flat and lifeless. There are lots of considerations regarding shadows and reflections, how strong and where.

One more thing: This is a little bit cold, I believe around 4300K. I did that to make the white chair stand out from the neutral background. To most people it will look white, while it is in fact blueish.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 27th January 2010 at 12:28.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a little Color In The Dead Of Winter...

D700, R80 Lux

D300,ZF 100 Makro Planar

D300,ZF 100 Makro Planar

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's delicious, thanks bro.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    That's delicious, thanks bro.
    Hope all is well with you & the family.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope all is well with you & the family.
    Thanks Steve. Hopefully, we're on an upswing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve, the colours of the second one are beyond amazing

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, the colours of the second one are beyond amazing
    Thanks Jorgen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice to see those lush colors in January, Steve. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even more fun with Pine trees and tractors. I'm finding that it's a tad difficult to carry a camera and a chainsaw while driving the tractor. It might be time to put down the saw.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Even more fun with Pine trees and tractors. I'm finding that it's a tad difficult to carry a camera and a chainsaw while driving the tractor. It might be time to put down the saw.
    TRSmith: Nice detail. Serious logging.

Steve: Thanks for the "color".

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Very nice to see those lush colors in January, Steve. Thanks!
    No...Thank You! Nice set on the Tractor & Timber!
    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    TRSmith: Nice detail. Serious logging.

Steve: Thanks for the "color".

Cheers,

My Pleasure Matt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jason. Answers in the quote.

If you look at the central leg of the ottoman, you can actually see that the lower left strobe is placed lower than the one to the right. The right one is partly shaded by the pillow. This is deliberate and one of the challenges; the furniture should be very evenly lit but still with small variations to avoid making it look flat and lifeless. There are lots of considerations regarding shadows and reflections, how strong and where.

One more thing: This is a little bit cold, I believe around 4300K. I did that to make the white chair stand out from the neutral background. To most people it will look white, while it is in fact blueish.
    Hello Pete , thanks for the answers.

More seriously, this is really intestesting stuff. Many thanks for sharing.
    Your method is definitely a mix between the "rules" and "real life experience" as you put it before, like a chef cooking his own recipe.

The part about white/black leather suprised me. Shooting usually small products (mostly much smaller than this kind of furniture with a few exceptions) and some with reflective surfaces, in my experience it's often quite the opposite: once HL are clipped, details are gone for good, though it has proven much easier to recover texture in the black areas. Guess the discrepancy depends on the kind of surface, and probably even more on the shooting distance. From up close (around 50cm) reflections are a different matter than from a several meters range.

Incidentally in February i have to shoot some furniture size, black piano lackered stuff. I did it before (using a simple one head + reflector setup) with decent results for catalogs and mid-size posters, but this time i'll pay a particular attention to this thanks to your remarks. Maybe i'll try a multi strobe setup too -but on lacker finish it often turns a little funky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great colors Steve!
    Please tell us you don't actually have this kind of light now... here we're under layers of clouds since what seems forever

(colors in the second shot are so out of the ordinary that it almost look like you stacked two photos using one funny curve in raw processing for the leaf...)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the kind comments in my previous pricure post.

Here another one with the S5Pro and 50mm:

William
    Website
    FB Page

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Great colors Steve!
    Please tell us you don't actually have this kind of light now... here we're under layers of clouds since what seems forever

(colors in the second shot are so out of the ordinary that it almost look like you stacked two photos using one funny curve in raw processing for the leaf...)
    Corlan, Boston is as dreary & cold as the north pole! Just needed a bit of colorful life to spruce some of us up!

Nothing special on the 2nd shot other than some Zeiss 100 magic & a bit of NIK color efex warmth. Thanks C!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

William, your work is Out Of This World Awesome!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Brownie & Boo Boo..

D300, 200Vr 2.0

D300,200VR 2.0

D700, 105VR

D3, 58 Noct 1.2

D3, 58 Noct 1.2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Steve!

S5 pro/ 28mm... a few frames that worked well together..

William
    Website
    FB Page

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmawest72 View Post
    Thanks for all the kind comments in my previous pricure post.

Here another one with the S5Pro and 50mm:
    This is fantastic, William. Great shot... and I love the treatment.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Brownie & Boo Boo..
    Steve, these are nothing short of fantastic... truly.

Do you have a shot of that 58/1.2 Noct? Never laid eyes on one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmawest72 View Post
    Thanks a lot Steve!

S5 pro/ 28mm... a few frames that worked well together..
    Yes, they do work well together. Great idea, brilliantly executed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My Oldest:

D300, 85/1.4:

My oldest, with his oldest (also with the D300 and the 85/1.4):

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, Lloyd! So captivating, so heart-warming. I feel my face glowing when I look at them.
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Oldest:

D300, 85/1.4:

Wonderful family, wonderful smiles, wonderful photos.

Who said priceless?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Osman and Corlan. Much appreciated.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, that first shot looks like Val Kilmer, the actor! Super job! Your grandson is Awesome! So cute. Top Quality Work Amigo!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, these are nothing short of fantastic... truly.

Do you have a shot of that 58/1.2 Noct? Never laid eyes on one.
    Thank You! Here Ya Go...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You! Here Ya Go...
    Kewl, thanks Steve. (and thanks for your comment above). I've certainly been impressed with the results you're getting with it, but I'd honestly never seen one.

I had the 50/1.2 "Normal", which I bought when I got my first F3, circa 1980. My son (the one pictured above) signed up for a photography class in Junior High, and asked if he could use that lens on a Nikkormat body I told him he could use for the class. Somewhat reluctantly, I let him take it, and the very first day it was stolen! He was like, "oh yeah, someone took it"... totally casual about the whole thing. He's a photographer in New York now, and would be completely freaked out if some lifted one of his cameras and/or lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Kewl, thanks Steve. (and thanks for your comment above). I've certainly been impressed with the results you're getting with it, but I'd honestly never seen one.

I had the 50/1.2 "Normal", which I bought when I got my first F3, circa 1980. My son (the one pictured above) signed up for a photography class in Junior High, and asked if he could use that lens on a Nikkormat body I told him he could use for the class. Somewhat reluctantly, I let him take it, and the very first day it was stolen! He was like, "oh yeah, someone took it"... totally casual about the whole thing. He's a photographer in New York now, and would be completely freaked out if some lifted one of his cameras and/or lenses.
    Funny,but not funny story! I had the 50, 1.2 & loved it but once i got the Noct, i never used it & traded it in,as you know, for M stuff!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny,but not funny story! I had the 50, 1.2 & loved it but once i got the Noct, i never used it & traded it in,as you know, for M stuff!
    I remember you mentioned that. I just looked the Noct up on eBay, and Holy Cats!!!

There are several, mostly AIS (one Ai), and the low price is over $3K, with the high at almost $6K. I mean nice lens, but let's get real folks.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 28th January 2010 at 13:21.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One from the archives. (You might know this place Steve)

D70 with the kit 18-70 lens:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, how'd you get that Spiderman perspective of the Lenny "Steakum" Bridge?! Cool shot!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, how'd you get that Spiderman perspective of the Lenny "Steakum" Bridge?! Cool shot!
    LOL. Careful cropping, my friend. I was fully earth-bound when I made the shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

William, the portrait of the boy is an instant classic

Love your dog shots, Steve, and I don't even like dogs (15 stray dogs across the canal, keeping me awake at nights). Like your lens too, but the price these days... I could hire an assistant for a year for the lowest price in this country.

Lloyd, those portraits are very "Lloydish". Top class

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, those portraits are very "Lloydish". Top class
    Thanks Jorgen. Much appreciated.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful light this morning. Too bad it's in large part to the really bad inversion (read: pollution) we've had with this high pressure system sitting over us.

Nothing special about this first shot, just liked the light:

Did make for some really nice reflections in the windows along my way to my first meeting this morning:

All with the D3 and the 70-200/2.8 VRII
    Last edited by Lloyd; 28th January 2010 at 15:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You! Here Ya Go...

dude where did you get that beauty!!! man that has to be bokehlicious!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Oldest:

D300, 85/1.4:

Lloyd: Superb. Some of your best yet and that's saying a lot because you have a lot of bests.

Post Thanks / Like

My Oldest:

These are just fabulous Lloyd, really nice!

Brownie & Boo Boo..
    Love 'em, great dog photos... too cute! And very nice b&w conversions

Rob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    dude where did you get that beauty!!! man that has to be bokehlicious!!!!
    Flea Bay about a year & a half ago for a "song"! Its permanently glued to the D3! Thanks!

Love 'em, great dog photos... too cute! And very nice b&w conversions

Rob[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot Rob!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, Beautiful Light!