The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Leica 77

Eiffel did indeed build a bridge in Indochina, Long Bien Bridge over the Red River in Hanoi to be more precise (Saigon was actually the French capital of Indochina at the time). It's nearly two kilometers long, and an engineering masterpiece. Being the only bridge over the river at that time, and an important connection to Ha Long Bay and the sea, it was bombed extensively during the Vietnam war, but rebuild again every time. That says something about Gustave Eiffel's skills as an engineer.

Here's one of the bridge on a typical Hanoi winter morning:

And a view from the bridge to the island mid-river:

Slightly off-topic, since they are both taken with an Olympus E-1 with an OM Zuiko 100mm f/2.8 :)
Hello "Professor" Jorgen,

Many thanks for the informative lesson in history and architecture regarding the legacy of Gustave Eiffel in French Indochina. Your image of the robust Long Bien Bridge over the Red River in Hanoi is phenomenal. The second image is equally delightful showing the landscape in Hanoi. Having been to the Eiffel Tower in Paris, I could relate to the similarities in steal construction and design as seen in both of these wonderful monumental structures by Eiffel. One of these days, I hope to visit Hanoi and Saigon. I enjoyed your digital images and the captions. All the best, Leica 77 :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for your kind words, L77. Many years ago, a friend of mine returned from a vacation in Portugal, where he had been touring the northern part of the country. Among the photos he had taken, many were of bridges over the deep valleys in that part of the country. My first comment, seeing the bridges, was something like: "But they all look like the Eiffel Tower". We obviously had to check, and our suspicion was confirmed: Mr. Eiffel had toured Portugal as well, not as a tourist, but as a bridge builder.

Being an admirer of 19th and early 20th century technology, I've had a journey to that part of the world on my list for more than 30 years now, but I'm lazy, and sometimes busy....

The wine isn't bad in Portugal either, so it should be worth a visit :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
More vintage photos, 2006 this time. Interestingly, my pp skills seem to have improved. I'm getting more out of the photos now than I did back then :)

S5 with Tamron 24-135mm @ 135mm and f/6.7

AlexLF

Eiffel did indeed build a bridge in Indochina, Long Bien Bridge over the Red River in Hanoi to be more precise (Saigon was actually the French capital of Indochina at the time). It's nearly two kilometers long, and an engineering masterpiece. Being the only bridge over the river at that time, and an important connection to Ha Long Bay and the sea, it was bombed extensively during the Vietnam war, but rebuild again every time. That says something about Gustave Eiffel's skills as an engineer.

Here's one of the bridge on a typical Hanoi winter morning:

And a view from the bridge to the island mid-river:

Slightly off-topic, since they are both taken with an Olympus E-1 with an OM Zuiko 100mm f/2.8 :)
Jorgen, I really appreciate for the second one! It deserves to hang at some photo gallery! The bridge is also good though.

Leica 77

More vintage photos, 2006 this time. Interestingly, my pp skills seem to have improved. I'm getting more out of the photos now than I did back then :)

Hello Jorgen,
As you know, in many parts of Asia, women are pretty powerful. The title of your image -- Power Paddler -- appears to be quite appropriate. Excellent shot! Best wishes, Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

From the canoe the other night.

Cheers!
Tim
Hello TRSmith,
The cloud formation in the sky is quite powerful. And yet, the reflection of the cloud on the water seems to be tamed by the gentle waves. It is a beautiful image! Best wishes, Leica 77 :)

Lloyd

Really wonderful images you've been posting lately Jorgen. I love the processing on this one in particular.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Ha! I thought it might appeal to you. It's right here in my small town. An older gentleman still lives there. Hank is his name and he's a decorated veteran. Unfortunately, he's been in decline for the past few years and his ramshackle house is evidence of just that. Still, he's happy to chew your ear off at the cafe nearby, and has some remarkable stories. Someday I hope to be invited inside.

Thanks!
Tim
So my joke fell dead flat considering the fine gentleman living there... my apologies. :)

Having said that it was quite not related to the picture but more to Viablex verocious apetite to all buildings that would be regarded as potential danger by most of us. Despite his uncanny ability to render them with lifelike colors, and soul, one keep wondering what or who they could encounter in such abandon places...

A take of an abandonned house in my own neighborhood, under the gentle evening sun:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
So my joke fell dead flat considering the fine gentleman living there... my apologies. :)
No problem at all. I think it's a pretty spooky place too. Until I met the man, I harbored my own suspicions. Just goes to show you, one can't be too quick to judge.

Peace,
Tim

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
No problem at all. I think it's a pretty spooky place too. Until I met the man, I harbored my own suspicions. Just goes to show you, one can't be too quick to judge.

Peace,
Tim
Tim,
a true lesson that photography helps us remember in time...

A lot of great pictures in the last pages, Leica77' concert, Simon with the new gear, Tim's waters & skies, Viablex (where's the bridge ?), Jorgen.

A request to our distinguished asian wanderers : not far from Hanoi, would you have some photos of the Lai CHau area/city ?

Last edited:

Leica 77

Having said that it was quite not related to the picture but more to Viablex verocious apetite to all buildings that would be regarded as potential danger by most of us. Despite his uncanny ability to render them with lifelike colors, and soul, one keep wondering what or who they could encounter in such abandon places...

A take of an abandonned house in my own neighborhood, under the gentle evening sun:

Hello Corlan F.,
The nicely laid red bricks soak up the afternoon sun. It seems there is still life left there ... Best regards, Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Hello Lloyd,
Many thanks for your positive comments. Glad you also like the bokeh. As always, your words of encouragement are very much appreciated. Leica 77 :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Just messing around in the oldies bin... cars are a similar vintage and while they no doubt were separated by a big price difference at the time, both of these ragtops look pretty nice to me.

Leica 77

Just messing around in the oldies bin... cars are a similar vintage and while they no doubt were separated by a big price difference at the time, both of these ragtops look pretty nice to me.
Hello TRSmith,
These are beautiful steering wheels of vintage automobiles. For classic auto enthusiasts, there aren't too many other things that are more beautiful than classic cars! Very nice shots. Leica 77 :)