Site Sponsors
Page 76 of 100 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 86 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,800 of 4957

Thread: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen, 35c? Its 35f here in Chicago with light misting rain now. You're mean!
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A PP Critique desired

This photo was processed up to a point (Lightroom 2, Nik Define 2.0, and Nik Sharpener 3.0) and then copied and the final processing was done in two different ways. The first was pp'd in Nik Color Efex Pro and the second in Lightzone (pushed towards "HDR"). Any thoughts on which one's better? Thanks for looking and commenting. Cheers, Matt.

D3; 200mm f/2; 1/500s @ f/4; +1 EV; ISO 1600

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

mikoo

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Nice bike... and nice pix. I especially like the shadow, and the one of the man and the child on the bikes... great light in that one! Looks like everyone was having fun on wheels in these, however. I did about three hours on my bike this morning before the snow started.
    Thanks Lloyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Muelver View Post
    Mikoo, that's a downhill. Bike, yes?

Love the shot of the Guy running in a gee.
    Yes its a downhill bike and it can go up hill too.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1288/29373/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post

A nearby chocolate shop was showcasing a colorful selection of treats to help dealing with this year's endless winter:

and yes, i brought some back home
    Corlan...Like the crop,subject matter & dof! Very nicely done!
    And just plain cute... my girls

The Cutest! Great B&W Poker set 2!

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    This photo was processed up to a point (Lightroom 2, Nik Define 2.0, and Nik Sharpener 3.0) and then copied and the final processing was done in two different ways. The first was pp'd in Nik Color Efex Pro and the second in Lightzone (pushed towards "HDR"). Any thoughts on which one's better? Thanks for looking and commenting. Cheers, Matt.

Loving the first one Matt!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mikoo;193053]

--

D300 17-55mm f/2.8

Mikoo this one is Brilliant!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Take a closer look Jason. He's not running, he's levitating!
    Keen observation indeed
    And nice series Mikoo, as some others my next favorite is the bike & shadow.

Thanks all for the kind comments -even though i'm not fooled and quite aware that using chocolate as a subject is a major form of expediency when it comes to benevolent feedback

Any thoughts on which one's better? Thanks for looking and commenting. Cheers, Matt.
    Matt- personal taste i like the soft, more atmospheric rendering of the first one significantly better. Shades of green look more natural here (esp. foreground), so is the fog's texture and cast.

That said, the second version with its extra sharpened zones have some merits. Printing output for display then viewing from a greater distance comes into mind.

I would still distribute the sharpened zones less in the front, for the more progressive approach in the first image posted will allow the beholder to dive into the main subject (fog with emerging trees) in a smoother way.

And in all instances, for this very reason i would try and "heal" (more probably using multi clones) the leafless section in the lower right, possibly blocking the way you want the image to be "read".

In one word, beside the last relatively incidental point, i'd use the first version.
    Though depending of the intended use (typically large print or distant display) some of the extra sharpening present in the second version might be incorporated -but only selectively on some tress and not on the foreground, and leaving the fog alone in this regard, too.

My 1/50th

Last edited by Corlan F.; 14th March 2010 at 07:39.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I also prefer the first. The clouds look more natural (and more white) to my eye. Also, the green in the left-hand foreground appears more natural to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also prefer the first. The clouds look more natural (and more white) to my eye. Also, the green in the left-hand foreground appears more natural to me.
    Completely agree with Lloyd.
    Osman

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Corlan...Like the crop,subject matter & dof! Very nicely done!

The Cutest! Great B&W Poker set 2!
    Loving the first one Matt!
    Keen observation indeed
    And nice series Mikoo, as some others my next favorite is the bike & shadow.
    Thanks all for the kind comments -even though i'm not fooled and quite aware that using chocolate as a subject is a major form of expediency when it comes to benevolent feedback

Matt- personal taste i like the soft, more atmospheric rendering of the first one significantly better. Shades of green look more natural here (esp. foreground), so is the fog's texture and cast.

That said, the second version with its extra sharpened zones have some merits. Printing output for display then viewing from a greater distance comes into mind.

I would still distribute the sharpened zones less in the front, for the more progressive approach in the first image posted will allow the beholder to dive into the main subject (fog with emerging trees) in a smoother way.

And in all instances, for this very reason i would try and "heal" (more probably using multi clones) the leafless section in the lower right, possibly blocking the way you want the image to be "read".

In one word, beside the last relatively incidental point, i'd use the first version.
    Though depending of the intended use (typically large print or distant display) some of the extra sharpening present in the second version might be incorporated -but only selectively on some tress and not on the foreground, and leaving the fog alone in this regard, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Completely agree with Lloyd.
    Osman
    Everybody: Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I agree that the first one is better. I have trouble with processing this kind of photo and maintaining the sense of clouds/fog and depth. Too much color and contrast and it's gone. There were some cloud/fog shots in the Leica M forum a week, or so, ago that were stellar. Corlan: good comment about the leafless section.

Thanks again. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here's two more. I took the first photo into Nik Viveza 2 and desaturated the tree trunks to remove the purple. They still look tinted on my MacBook Pro and they didn't on the MacPro! Screen calibration? Cheers, Matt.

1. D3; 200mm f/2; 1/200s @ f/4; ISO 1600

2. D3; 200mm f/2; 1/250s @ f/4.5; ISO 320

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No spectacular mountains here, just gentle slopes... a -modest- miniature after classic far east paintings :

...depending on gammas posting this kind of pictures online might "work" or not...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another one, on flat land.

Titled it "Old Friend":

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Corlan: Very nice. That first has a nice layering of the fog. It does have a bit of the look of a Japanese sumi painting. Thanks for sharing. cheers, Matt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Corlan: Very nice. That first has a nice layering of the fog. It does have a bit of the look of a Japanese sumi painting. Thanks for sharing. cheers, Matt.
    +1, Very nice indeed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's two more. I took the first photo into Nik Viveza 2 and desaturated the tree trunks to remove the purple. They still look tinted on my MacBook Pro and they didn't on the MacPro! Screen calibration? Cheers, Matt.

1. D3; 200mm f/2; 1/200s @ f/4; ISO 1600

Very nice, Matt, and very interesting. I first looked at this on my MacBook Pro, and my first thought was that the tree trunks were a little purple. Then I read what you wrote, so I looked at it on my wife's iMac, and there is no tinting at all. Doubly weird as my MacBook Pro is regularly (including recently) calibrated, and iMac has never been.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: My MacPro was calibrated a while ago and there's no purple. Maybe, i'll try calibrating them both again. I use a X-Rite ColorMunki. Interesting to see what it does. Thanks for the comment. Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like

No spectacular mountains here, just gentle slopes... a -modest- miniature after classic far east paintings :

...depending on gammas posting this kind of pictures online might "work" or not...
    Corlan, this is just very beautiful!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: My MacPro was calibrated a while ago and there's no purple. Maybe, i'll try calibrating them both again. I use a X-Rite ColorMunki. Interesting to see what it does. Thanks for the comment. Cheers, Matt.
    Very interesting. I use the ColorMunki as well.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice, Matt, and very interesting. I first looked at this on my MacBook Pro, and my first thought was that the tree trunks were a little purple. Then I read what you wrote, so I looked at it on my wife's iMac, and there is no tinting at all. Doubly weird as my MacBook Pro is regularly (including recently) calibrated, and iMac has never been.
    They look a bit purple on my monitor but it's a beautiful shot nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Alex, Matt, Lloyd

Matt-
    Regarding the purple question, here's my take. Except for end-to-end controlled graphic chain calibration -say, from one monitor to one printer- and light, there's no absolute viewing parameters. Despite the industry efforts (and marketing ) in calibration tools and profiles, the diversity of equipment, supports and conditions have us living in a world of compromises color wise. Nothing new in this statement, but we have a fair example here following your and Lloyd's findings above.

This is why, when one really needs an absolute reading of values the only solid reference is the color picker. Though it's not a current requirement in general photography, for this purpose we developped some time ago a small piece of code allowing to graphically extract and display dominant hues in a chosen zone (using a few clicks of the color picker on the desired area, set @ 3x3 average).

Took the liberty give it a run on your photo, specifically on the two main tree trunks. Here's the result (sRGB jpeg):

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
    There's a number of things you can do with the file, view on your different monitors, compare the web display(s) to CS4's, make comparisons with your reference file etc.

On a sidenote i feel it's not uncommon to see trunks with this kind of cast under such light conditions. Especially with a green contrast, then to get back to monitors the perception is quite dependant on the relative colorimetric values of each display, even after careful calibration.

Sorry for the long answer

And by the way, i personnaly very much like the photo as it is.

Notwithstanding, once again whether you feel it were a lens issue, i'd be glad to take care of the useless piece of junk for you

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Corlan, Excellent tone,composition & mood! This image goes to the Top Of My List! Love It!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, like the tree lines bringing you into a center point. Nice reflection also. A hint of purple on my Mac screen, but hardly noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, thanks Steve, you're way too kind.
    These last months we had to deal with terrible light conditions here, so i guess i' had try and learn to look at the lanscapes possibilities in a different way. I have more to come, C&C will be welcome...

Btw, don't you find that your own 200mm also have this dreadful purple cast?

(ok i know, it's just the 100th time i'm making this stupid joke) but i really want one

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Corlan F.;193496

Btw, don't you find that your own 200mm also have this dreadful purple cast?

(ok i know, it's just the 100th time i'm making this stupid joke) but i really want one [/QUOTE]

Haven't noticed it...but will look more carefully next time i use it if it ever stops raining in Boston (5-6inches in last 3 days)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just kidding, Steve, just kidding.

It's such a wonderful lens -though on the expensive side.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just kidding, Steve, just kidding.

It's such a wonderful lens -though on the expensive side.
    Corlan, i wish you told me earlier that you were kidding....I just bought an Expensive Spectrum Analyzer to check on the Purple Fringing & found a Significant Problem, but in the lower wavelengths of the orange spectrum! The lens has been shipped back to Nikon for repairs...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Matt... I've got a tinge of purple on my Macbook, but frankly, this screen sucks. Regardless, awesome shot.

Corlan... classic shot. Just beautiful.

Nothing serious here. The girls were expecting a chicken snack...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Love when my dogs are side to side like that...shows how much they care for each other! Nice grab Jason!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

David/Steve/Jason: Thanks.

Corlan: Thanks for the information. Great long answer. The color chart's pretty revealing. This coloring showed up before with my Eagle shots. That was a 300mm f/2.8 w/TC-E14. It's interesting that this is the only color variation from monitor to monitor that i've noticed (probably because purple is "unnatural"; unless you're in the Southwest). Sorry, That piece of junk, 200mm f/2, was transformed into part of my M9.

Jason: Nice dog shot. They're really elegant.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Went too a concert the other day. There were musicians there.

S5 with 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/1.8 and ISO 1250

S5 with 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/1.8 and ISO 800

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 15th March 2010 at 23:54.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Little doggie in the window (Nikon style). Cheers, Matt

D700; 24-70mm f/2.8; 66mm; 1/320s @ f/9; ISO 400

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Went too a concert the other day. There were musicians there.

Jorgen: Nice. Very nice. If I read it correctly; you were using a Nikon Coolpix S5? Fancy running into musicians at a concert. the guitarist on the bottom looks familiar. Have you photographed him before? Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen: Nice. Very nice. If I read it correctly; you were using a Nikon Coolpix S5? Fancy running into musicians at a concert. the guitarist on the bottom looks familiar. Have you photographed him before? Cheers, Matt
    Matt,
    Fuji S5. I would have problems mounting the 105mm on a Coolpix

Yes, I've photographed him before, and probably posted a few photos here. His name is Ad Carabao, leader and one of the original members of the legendary Thai rock band Carabao. The other lead singer, Lek, is the guy with the moustache, posted on the previous page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more. Lek and Ad Carabao.

S5 with 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/1.8 and ISO 1600

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 16th March 2010 at 02:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, nice set. Like the last one a lot.
    Might have a slight preference for the previous colorful one with the same guys (?)... but it may very well be related to the respective available light.

Jason, your girls are way braver than our ol' boy when expecting a snack They're very cute as always.

Matt- you're welcome.
    Oh yes, these lovely M kits call for serious green. Too bad you had to part with this stupendous glass. But i guess you're ok tele wise with the 500mm
    The dog in the window looks great (though i kinda find chocolates' windows more enticing myself ). Nice catch!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Jorgen Udvang;193718]Went too a concert the other day. There were musicians there.

Classic! So Nice Jorgen!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Little doggie in the window (Nikon style). Cheers, Matt

D700; 24-70mm f/2.8; 66mm; 1/320s @ f/9; ISO 400

Like this version also Matt! PP is way up there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... but it may very well be related to the respective available light.
    The stage lighting was terrible. To little, and what was there was in some weird shades of green and orange. To make things worse, I moved around among the audience who were all dancing around their tables when they didn't offer me drinks of various quality. A very bumpy ride.

Good concert though. The next one will be at the largest indoor arena in Thailand, with tens of thousands of people. The lighting will obviously be much better, but I don't know what kind of access I have. A D3s would be nice too

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt and Jason, nice dogs all.

Jorgen, terrific concert photos, as usual. Those guys have a lot of character.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Love the doggie in the window!!

Today, I picked up a Nikkor 35 2.0 AF-D. I'm trying to make my D700 more "streetable".

I went straight to Montrose Harbor...

I need to get out here before dawn, but for now, here's the harsh mid-day sun version

Gone Fishin'

Last edited by Jason Muelver; 16th March 2010 at 11:35.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Love the doggie in the window!!

Today, I picked up a Nikkor 35 2.0 AF-D. I'm trying to make my D700 more "streetable".

I went straight to Montrose Harbor...
    Great color. (That is a great little lens, enjoy.)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Lloyd. I was surprised how tiny that lil sucker is!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love these shots, Jason.

Just when i'm undecided between the 28/2.8 and the 35/2.
    Guess i'll have to get both -thankfully they're affordable enough.

(i'll start with the 28 though, for some reason i've always had an inlcination towards this "lowly" (@Clay Steward) underestimated lens)

Post Thanks / Like

Corlan... A guy was selling both. I almost bought both. I stuck with the 35 for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terrific shots, Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! Just looked up when walking the wonder whippets and saw this... I ran to the roof and fired away. Again with the new to me 35 F2 AFD.

Urban Sunset

Accidently shot wide open. I was in a hurry and didn't check! I think it's a keeper!
    Last edited by Jason Muelver; 16th March 2010 at 16:49.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! Just looked up when walking the wonder whippets and saw this... I ran to the roof and fired away. Again with the new to me 35 F2 AFD.

Accidently shot wide open. I was in a hurry and didn't check! I think it's a keeper!
    Sweet!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Matt,
    Fuji S5. I would have problems mounting the 105mm on a Coolpix

Yes, I've photographed him before, and probably posted a few photos here. His name is Ad Carabao, leader and one of the original members of the legendary Thai rock band Carabao. The other lead singer, Lek, is the guy with the moustache, posted on the previous page.
    Jorgen: That makes more sense. I was trying to picture you holding a coolpix up to get the shot. I googled "S5 105mm" and got this: "The Nikon Coolpix S5 zooms over the equivalent of a 35-105mm range". Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jason: Great shots.

Jorgen: the light and shadow in "Dark music" is wonderful. See, you don't need those fancy cameras when you can do that with a coolpix!

Cheers, Matt