Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Corlan... great light on that!!

Sesame can't wait for summer!!

http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Kodak 14NX files always did have a "painterly" look to them.

Albert

http://www.pbase.com/apy_jr/image/122867851/original

Last edited by APY_JR; 19th March 2010 at 22:07.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason & Albert...So Cute! Nicely Shot!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Jason & Albert...So Cute! Nicely Shot!
    +1, priceless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 - very analog like.
    In this regard, the 14NX is really bluffing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the kind comments, Steve, Jorgen and Jason.
    Indeed an interesting day light wise -and a lot to shoot within very little distance.

Two last shots of that afternoon:

Despite the cold weather we had some signs of the upcoming spring...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably unrelated, but some seemed really stonned... er, stunned

note to (non-getdpi) visitors: this last one's copyrighted & digimarked for all intent and purposes - please do not use including web - thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Corlan... I don't think you'd be smiling of gargoyles like that were grabbing you!! Or would you be ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steen, are those art gallery shots (great shots, by the way!) from Louisiana? I love that place, and used to go there at least once a year when I was still living in Denmark. I still go there often when I visit my family. Funny though, I don't recall seeing any *female* Giacometti statues there?

Jorgen, two non-photo-related questions: 1) is your name really Jrgen, apart from the fact that it seems to be Thor, and 2) are you Danish or Norwegian? Some comments you have made had me in doubt. I *love* your photography, by the way. Your photos have a real unique look to them, and I instantly see when the shots are yours (the nice frame apart, which by the way, I intend to learn from It really helps the presentation, I feel). Tight framing and punchy but not exaggerated colours are a trademark.

Mikoo, I hope you don't mind, but I changed one of your shots a little

Attachment 29047
    Last edited by carstenw; 20th March 2010 at 12:01.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    One alternative would be to find a used 180mm f/2.8. Older technology and less flexibility, but it's fantastic value for money and the size is more or less the same as the 70-300 VR. Works fine with a TC too. If you buy second hand, you should even be able to get a used 85mm f/1.8 in addition to the 180 and without exploding the budget, or the rather good Samyang 85mm f/1.4 new, but that's manual focus.

Which camera are you buying?
    I have bought a new D3, for €3200. Not the cheapest I could find, but I thought rather than paying €2000 for a beater, or €2500 for a camera with a scratch or two, or €2900 for a perfect but used copy, I would just buy new. I thought about a D700, but I want a couple of the D3 features; I also thought about a D3s, but I couldn't find the extra money; I thought about a D3x but my wallet shrieked in pain.

I have traded my MFDB (which I sadly wasn't using, having rediscovered the joy of MF film) for a ZF 21 (and a grip and an extra film back for my Contax 645), and wallop of cash, which I pumped into the D3 and a 105/2.5 AI-S in near-perfect condition. I will likely also get the 24-70 for action (read: my daughter, who by now is too fast for my M8), and I am thinking about a 14-24 (but I won't keep the ZF 21 and get that; I have to choose) and a 70-200VRII, as well as a 300/4VR with 1.4 TC. I also think about the 50/2 ZF.2 or 100/2 ZF.2.

I can't have all of that at once; not enough money. For now I have the ZF 21 and 105/2.5, and will likely add the 24-70 and stop there for now. The 300/4VR might be the next lens, since it is relatively affordable, and we are considering a zoo yearly membership for the family

My D3 should be here next week. Soon after that I will post my first shots.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to say: my girlfriend has a D3000, and so getting the 70-300VR would allow me to wait with 70-200 and 300, and later when I have more money, I could pass the lens on to her. I think by then she might appreciate it, although so far, she is happy with the 18-55VR. The D3000 doesn't work all that well with non-AF-S lenses.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Steen, are those art gallery shots (great shots, by the way!) from Louisiana? I love that place, and used to go there at least once a year when I was still living in Denmark. I still go there often when I visit my family. Funny though, I don't recall seeing any *female* Giacometti statues there? (...)

Hey Carsten, great to hear that you are now landing on the Nikon board as well.
    I have always admired your huge knowledge on every aspect of photography and your distinct points of view.
    Looking forward to your contributions here.

You are right that my art gallery shots were from the Museum of Modern Art: Louisiana.
    Louisiana has a collection of 24 works by the Swiss artist Alberto Giacometti and there are several female sculptures among them. They are wonderful.

Thank you for your kind words about the photos, and congrats with your D3 purchase !
    Obviously a completely fabulous machine. I'm very envious. Maybe some day ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Spanish Valley area, just south of Moab, Utah.

D3, 70-200/2.8 @ 165mm f13, ISO 200 (8 frame stitch).

Attachment 29060

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Albert,
    Very cute shot

Steen, are those art gallery shots (great shots, by the way!) from Louisiana? I love that place, and used to go there at least once a year when I was still living in Denmark. I still go there often when I visit my family. Funny though, I don't recall seeing any *female* Giacometti statues there?

Jorgen, two non-photo-related questions: 1) is your name really Jrgen, apart from the fact that it seems to be Thor, and 2) are you Danish or Norwegian? Some comments you have made had me in doubt. I *love* your photography, by the way. Your photos have a real unique look to them, and I instantly see when the shots are yours (the nice frame apart, which by the way, I intend to learn from It really helps the presentation, I feel). Tight framing and punchy but not exaggerated colours are a trademark.
    Aaaah... Lousiana. I used to go there at least once a year as well when I lived in Oslo. The ferry down one evening, and back the next. Fabulous place. Some of the exhibitions there have been very important to my photography, particularly those featuring Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Salvador Dali and Henri Cartier-Bresson.

1) Yes, my name is Jrgen and it's Thor as well. That would be Thor Jrgen, but I mostly use the latter. The Jorgen is for international use, since only Danes and Norwegians have keyboards with "". 2) I'm Norwegian, but in my soul, I'm probably more Danish. If there is a next life, I'll live it in Denmark in the summer and Thailand in the winter

Thank you for your kind words about my photos. In many ways, you describe what I try to achieve, although I still have a long way to go. Luckily, there are countless drawers in my head, each of them containing a photo project that I want to explore. Lots of opportunities to learn and to improve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Completely fantastic, Lloyd !
    That has to be the most three-dimensional panorama I ever saw from any system, including some impressive MFDB landscape results. Well done. Really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My favourite restaurant needs some photos for their marketing. Normally, I try to avoid "work for food", since a luxury meal one day won't pay my rent the next. But with the cuteness factor of the waitresses in that place, who can say no?

This is a demanding job, and since most of it will have to be done before and after hours, it will be going on for a while. Let's start with an empty plate, and see where we end up

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 38mm and f/5.6

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Spanish Valley area, just south of Moab, Utah.

D3, 70-200/2.8 @ 165mm f13, ISO 200 (8 frame stitch).

Attachment 29060
    It's funny, I know that almost all details about the two shots are different, but when I see this pano, I think of "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941". Very nice!

I also really love your family portraits and stories, by the way. They really capture something that no one else could do in the same way. The hunting trip with your father was very interesting, for example.

P.S. can you tell I am a new-comer to Nikon who just read through all 78 pages of this thread?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Yes, my name is Jrgen and it's Thor as well. That would be Thor Jrgen, but I mostly use the latter. The Jorgen is for international use, since only Danes and Norwegians have keyboards with "".
    Well, Alt-O will do it on any Mac, just like Alt-' gives and Alt-A gives . I have no idea what these characters render like on a PC though I am hoping that the international-latin header of this forum allows them to render correctly.

2) I'm Norwegian, but in my soul, I'm probably more Danish. If there is a next life, I'll live it in Denmark in the summer and Thailand in the winter
    Why go for Denmark? Just skip the small steps and become Italian right away
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Hey Carsten, great to hear that you are now landing on the Nikon board as well. I have always admired your huge knowledge on every aspect of photography and your distinct points of view. Looking forward to your contributions here.
    Well, "distinct points of view" is about the most flattering you could describe this aspect of me Thanks for the warm welcome, I look forward to contributing here. Sadly, it looks like I may have overextended my budget a little, so I will probably have to make do with the ZF21 and 105/2.5 for a while. Not exactly hardship, but I had hoped for at least one fast AF zoom to get my daughter in motion. Hopefully I will soon be able to add that.

Thank you for your kind words about the photos, and congrats with your D3 purchase ! Obviously a completely fabulous machine. I'm very envious. Maybe some day ...
    I wish for you that it will become possible soon. In the end it is all a question of compromises and priorities. I have no car, for example, and no expensive stereo. That frees up a lot of money right there.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Alt-O will do it on any Mac, just like Alt-' gives and Alt-A gives . I have no idea what these characters render like on a PC though
    ... and why didn't I learn this umpteen years ago? Oh well... thanks for the information. That saves me some hassles.

As for PCs; Windows 7 is ten times better than XP, but the improvements cover just a tiny fraction of the easiness of a Mac. They simply haven't understood how non-programmers think.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In case you also want to write German (or in some cases: Swedish and/or Norwegian): Alt-U gives umlaut, followed by the letter to apply it to: Alt-U U will give , Alt-U O will give , Alt-U A will give . Alt-S will give .

In french, Alt-E give accent aigu, followed by the letter: Alt-E E gives , for example. Alt-U I gives . Alt-` gives accent grve, followed by the letter: Alt-` A gives , for example. Alt-I gives accent circonflexe, followed by the letter. Alt-I A gives , for example. Alt-C gives .

That's the end of the languages I speak (at least a little, I am not so fluent in French), so I don't know any more. I am sure there are shortcuts for Spanish diacriticals as well as possibly for eastern-European letters.

I prefer using an international English keyboard, since I write in all the above languages from time to time, and the local keyboards can be very different (vis the French keyboard!), and it can be hard to access German from a Danish keyboard, for example. These shortcuts allow me quick access to all the letters I need.

I am not particularly a Windows fan, but I find Vista quite okay when it is set up nicely on a proper machine, and Windows 7 is even a bit nicer. I use them at work, since I develop, and Visual Studio is just such a good development environment.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In case you also want to write German (or in some cases: Swedish and/or Norwegian): Alt-U gives umlaut, followed by the letter to apply it to: Alt-U U will give , Alt-U O will give , Alt-U A will give . Alt-S will give .

In french, Alt-E give accent aigu, followed by the letter: Alt-E E gives , for example. Alt-U I gives . Alt-` gives accent grve, followed by the letter: Alt-` A gives , for example. Alt-I gives accent circonflexe, followed by the letter. Alt-I A gives , for example. Alt-C gives .
    Groartig. Dann ist es mglich alle Europeische sprachen zu schreiben

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely fantastic, Lloyd !
    That has to be the most three-dimensional panorama I ever saw from any system, including some impressive MFDB landscape results. Well done. Really.
    Thank you, Steen. I'm honored.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, I know that almost all details about the two shots are different, but when I see this pano, I think of "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941". Very nice!

I also really love your family portraits and stories, by the way. They really capture something that no one else could do in the same way. The hunting trip with your father was very interesting, for example.

P.S. can you tell I am a new-comer to Nikon who just read through all 78 pages of this thread?
    Welcome to the Dark Side, Carsten. I've always enjoyed your comments on the Leica thread, and we're honored by your contribution here as well.

Thank you for your comments on my images. Greatly appreciated. I'll have more to post from Moab over the next couple of days. I hope they'll be worth a look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Imagine a concert where all the 5,000 or 10,000 or whatever in the audience know all the texts, and sing them so loudly that you hardly hear the artist at all. Then it doesn't matter if you like the music or not. It's just life enlarged.

Then, there's this silly, old foreigner, who neither knows the texts nor how to sing, who navigates his way all the way up to the stage to take a photo. Great fun!

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/2.8

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 21st March 2010 at 11:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Jrgen! Good stuff!!! Fantastic shot!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Muelver View Post
    Jrgen! Good stuff!!! Fantastic shot!
    +1, yes indeed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Corona Arch this morning.

Located about 10 miles southwest of Moab, this free standing arch is over 150 feet high, and its opening spans 160 feet at the widest point.

D3, 28-70/2.8 60mm f10, ISO 200:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Along the Colorado this morning.

D3, 28-70/2.8 @ 70mm f8, ISO 200:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Corona Arch this morning.

Located about 10 miles southwest of Moab, this free standing arch is over 150 feet high, and its opening spans 160 feet at the widest point.
    Very beautiful, Lloyd. What is the blue colour on the mountain?

Thank you both for your kind comments.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 21st March 2010 at 20:54.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Great shot, perfect perspective and I really like the treatment. Nice work.
    Fultonpics: +1. Terrific. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen: Nice portrait. You can see that he's really in to it! "Sek Loso" is also a great image. Real sweat.

Corlan: Great images. The B&W is very strong with the white background. Where were you photographing? Great gargoyles! Evil vs. man? Thanks for the complement too.

Jason: Another nice shot of Sesame.

Albert: Nice, sweet, moment, well captured.

Lloyd: Beautiful panorama. Can't get it large enough on my laptop. Have to look at it again upstairs on the big screen. The Moab images are tremendous. I was booked for a mountain biking trip there last October. Cancelled it for my daughter's wedding. Priorities (and $).

Carsten/Jorgen/Steen: Interesting dialogue. Thanks.

Carsten: Welcome.

Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Jorgen: Nice portrait. You can see that he's really in to it! "Sek Loso" is also a great image. Real sweat.
    Thanks. Here's from sweat to sweet. These are all from Pattaya International Music Festival. Loso's drummer is from England, thus the word "International"

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/2.0

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/1.8

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 21st March 2010 at 21:52.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Here's from sweat to sweet. These are all from Pattaya International Music Festival. Loso's drummer is from England, thus the word "International"

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/2.0
    Jorgen: Definitely sweeter. Nice. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some rust and wood from today. This time with a Nikon. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

1. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 80mm; 1/400s @ f/11; ISO 640

2. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 102mm; 1/500s @ f/11; ISO 640

3. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 200mm; 1/500s @ f/9; ISO 640

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More rock; pink rock. Sek from Loso, Sek Loso.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mark! The second ship shot is great, btw!
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jrgen, excellent captures! Do post more.
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the switch-from-sweat-to-sweet-shots, Jorgen ... Nice wood-and-rust-texture-ship-shots, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very beautiful, Lloyd. What is the blue colour on the mountain?
    Thank you, Jorgen.

The "blue" is actually quite black (although sometimes brownish) under normal conditions. It is called Desert Varnish, and is composed of clay along with iron and manganese oxides. It can be fairly reflective at certain angles, as in this case where it appears to be reflecting the blue in the sky.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some rust and wood from today. This time with a Nikon. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.
    These are terrific, Matt. Love that those rust shot especially.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, really enjoying your concert shots. This one stands out for me. Nice.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen:

Lloyd: Beautiful panorama. Can't get it large enough on my laptop. Have to look at it again upstairs on the big screen. The Moab images are tremendous. I was booked for a mountain biking trip there last October. Cancelled it for my daughter's wedding. Priorities (and $).
    Thanks Matt. I hope you like it in the large version. I hope you make it to Moab one day. We've been any number of times... used to make it several times per year, but this was our first trip in about 14 months. My wife was running a half marathon on Saturday as a tune up for next month's Boston Marathon, so we were in town with several thousand of our closest friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Muelver View Post
    Corlan... I don't think you'd be smiling of gargoyles like that were grabbing you!! Or would you be ;-)
    I wouldn't know. Have been too much of a brave boy, i deserve better treatment.

Hopefully

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt, the Westwood is very nice. The kind of warm tones that makes you want to go for a early spring cruise

Jorgen, the sweatin' guitarist is super cool. Colors are perfect (another Jorgen+S5+105 stunner) and this amazing focus on what seems to be a fraction of a millimeter of sweat really suits the theme.
    Nice to see you had better light than on the previous venue.

Lloyd, beautiful capture of the arch. I think i have somewhere a photo of the place (not exactly the same angle though and probably 35 FL) from the analog days. If i ever want to print a copy, no need to find my old version, i'll go for yours instead

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post

Lloyd, beautiful capture of the arch. I think i have somewhere a photo of the place (not exactly the same angle though and probably 35 FL) from the analog days. If i ever want to print a copy, no need to find my old version, i'll go for yours instead
    Thanks Corlan. Anytime.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine a concert where all the 5,000 or 10,000 or whatever in the audience know all the texts, and sing them so loudly that you hardly hear the artist at all. Then it doesn't matter if you like the music or not. It's just life enlarged.

Then, there's this silly, old foreigner, who neither knows the texts nor how to sing, who navigates his way all the way up to the stage to take a photo. Great fun!

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/2.8

Jorgen...Fantastic!
    Along the Colorado this morning.

D3, 28-70/2.8 @ 70mm f8, ISO 200:
    Beautiful Color & IQ Lloyd!

3. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 200mm; 1/500s @ f/9; ISO 640

Love this one Matt!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post

Beautiful Color & IQ Lloyd!
    Thanks Steve. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Beautiful Color & IQ Lloyd!"

- - - - -

+ 1 ... a very beautiful morning lighting scenery, Lloyd !

I just posted a comment to the discussion about Auto White Balance, in the "Fun With Sony: Part Two" thread on the Sony board.

This discussion might be of some interest with regards to such early morning light.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

"Beautiful Color & IQ Lloyd!"

- - - - -

+ 1 ... a very beautiful morning lighting scenery, Lloyd !

I just posted a comment to the discussion about Auto White Balance, in the "Fun With Sony: Part Two" thread on the Sony board.

This discussion might be of some interest with regards to such early morning light.
    Thank you Steen. And thanks for the tip; I'll check that out.