Site Sponsors
Page 79 of 100 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,950 of 4957

Thread: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Thanks, Mark! The second ship shot is great, btw!
    Hmm, I don't know why I wrote Mark. Brain fade. I meant Matt, sorry.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

More from Corona Arch:

(Obligatory postcard shot) A little later that morning, and from the opposite side:

D3, 14-24/2.8 @ 24mm f13:

Did I say it was pretty big? Well, maybe not so much:

Actually... Here's my wife at the base of the arch:

D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII @ 70mm f13:

One more, and I'll move on.

D3, 28-70/2.8 VRII @ 70mm f2.8:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carsten/Corlan/Steve/Lloyd: Thanks.

Corlan: There's some nice old cabin cruisers in this marina. As I type this, i can see the Westwood (late lunch break).

Lloyd: Some day. The new Moab shots are great. The third shot with your wife at the base of the arch really describes the scale of these thing. Very cool.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple that I really struggled with. I'm posting the B&W's too; but, I believe that they're too harsh (as are the color shots). The lighting and time of day sucked. Maybe, they're irredeemable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW the little power boat is named "Size Matters". Apparently not much. Cheers, Matt.

D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 200mm; 1/1000s @ f/13; ISO 640

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    More from Corona Arch:

(Obligatory postcard shot) A little later that morning, and from the opposite side:

Actually... Here's my wife at the base of the arch:

One more, and I'll move on.

D3, 28-70/2.8 VRII @ 70mm f2.8:
    These 2 are my Favorites Lloyd! Beautiful Athlete!
    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Here's a couple that I really struggled with. I'm posting the B&W's too; but, I believe that they're too harsh (as are the color shots). The lighting and time of day sucked. Maybe, they're irredeemable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW the little power boat is named "Size Matters". Apparently not much. Cheers, Matt.

These 2 for me Matt....So Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a couple that I really struggled with. I'm posting the B&W's too; but, I believe that they're too harsh (as are the color shots). The lighting and time of day sucked. Maybe, they're irredeemable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (...)
    Matt, if you have Capture NX2 you could try this:

White Balance: Daylight

Picture Control: D2Xmode1

Maybe the slightly changed color rendering will work better with the somewhat harsh light ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Another shot from along the Colorado River yesterday morning. Slightly different framing from the prior shot. (I tried a processing suggestion from Steen, leaving the color balance on Daylight, which makes sense, since I would have used daylight film for this in "the old days". Also, I tried to open up the shadow areas just a little more than in the prior shot.

p.s., I couldn't avoid the branches without setting up in the river, which in the near darkness, and given the very muddy water, so that the depth was very uncertain, didn't seem like a smart idea.

D3, 28-70/2.8 @ 70mm f8, ISO 200
    Last edited by Lloyd; 22nd March 2010 at 14:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice, warm 7 o'clock in the morning colors, Lloyd.
    A rather dramatic improvement I think. At least on my screen.
    Beautiful image. I'm fine with the branches in the foreground.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Nice, warm 7 o'clock in the morning colors, Lloyd.
    A rather dramatic improvement I think. At least on my screen.
    Beautiful image. I'm fine with the branches in the foreground.
    Thank you, Steen. For the comment, and the suggestion. Much appreciated on both counts.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt, if you think the contrasts are too harsh, here is what I'd do (using PS CS3/4):

Adjusting the RAW file in ACR:
    Increase recovery (default is 0) and/or decrease blacks (default is 5).

Adjusting the jpeg file in PS:
    Choose Image - Adjustments - Curves. Choose one of the contrast presets in the drop-down menu. Inverse the S-shape of the curve, so that the highlights are getting darker and dark areas brighter.

I also tried to convert the first colour photo with PS b&w conversion (Image - Adjustments - Black & White), and by keeping the standard settings, got a less contrasty results with much more detail in the shadow areas. I can post it here if you want.

However, there are two strange things in that first photo:
    There's something happening in the water in the foreground, some reflections that either your camera or the jpeg conversion didn't like. In addition, there's banding in the clouds. Are these shot in RAW or jpeg?

The photos are very nice btw., at least apart from these technical niggles.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    These 2 for me Matt....So Nice!
    Steve: Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Matt, if you have Capture NX2 you could try this:
    White Balance: Daylight
    Picture Control: D2Xmode1
    Maybe the slightly changed color rendering will work better with the somewhat harsh light
    Steen: I gave up on NX2, but Lightroom 2 has some different ACR camera profiles and similar settings. I'll try those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Matt, if you think the contrasts are too harsh, here is what I'd do (using PS CS3/4):

Adjusting the RAW file in ACR:
    Increase recovery (default is 0) and/or decrease blacks (default is 5).

Adjusting the jpeg file in PS:
    Choose Image - Adjustments - Curves. Choose one of the contrast presets in the drop-down menu. Inverse the S-shape of the curve, so that the highlights are getting darker and dark areas brighter.

I also tried to convert the first colour photo with PS b&w conversion (Image - Adjustments - Black & White), and by keeping the standard settings, got a less contrasty results with much more detail in the shadow areas. I can post it here if you want.

However, there are two strange things in that first photo:
    There's something happening in the water in the foreground, some reflections that either your camera or the jpeg conversion didn't like. In addition, there's banding in the clouds. Are these shot in RAW or jpeg?

The photos are very nice btw., at least apart from these technical niggles.
    Jorgen: They were shot in RAW. I might have have inadvertently screwed something up. I jumped back and forth between programs and didn't follow my usual sequence.

Lloyd: Thanks again.

Thanks everybody for the comments. I'm going to try pp'g these images again tonight. Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like

This one goes back a few years. It was right after I picked up the camera after a 25 year absence away... Namibia

You can see the heat distortion. It was at least 115f out that day, maybe more. Here this poor guy only wanted some shade, and it was the only tree for miles.
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Post Thanks / Like

LLoyd... if that's what you get out on a Sunday stroll, I wanna be where you are. Beautiful. I actually like the branches!

And your wife, Lloyd... Ironman Canada? I had to drop outta that one with a wounded ankle. I was supposed to be up in Penticton last August. I've retired from Ironman... each time I raced, something broke. Sticking with bikes where I can only have catastrophic crashes at 35+ mph! Ha!!! Where is she racing this year?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Muelver View Post
    LLoyd... if that's what you get out on a Sunday stroll, I wanna be where you are. Beautiful. I actually like the branches!

And your wife, Lloyd... Ironman Canada? I had to drop outta that one with a wounded ankle. I was supposed to be up in Penticton last August. I've retired from Ironman... each time I raced, something broke. Sticking with bikes where I can only have catastrophic crashes at 35+ mph! Ha!!! Where is she racing this year?
    Hi Jason, Thanks. We do feel pretty lucky to be in this part of the country.

Yes, we've done Canada 4 times... 19 Ironman finishes in all. Last time in Canada was 2007. We doing local races only this year. We'll be at Ironman St. George May 1st to support some friends (and take some pictures ), but nothing long this year. As for crashes, my worst in a long time was last year... riding back to the car after a race, I crashed and broke my collarbone, my shoulder, and a couple of ribs... and I was only going about 10 mph!!

We're actually taking a couple of years off from long course triathlon. I've had some health problems (besides the crash), that I've been working through. Getting better slowly, so it's all good.

My wife ran the NYC marathon in November, and is now training for Boston next month. We were in Moab for her to run a half marathon as a tune up race. (She was second in her age group, missing first by 20 seconds), and 30th out of 1942 overall. Not bad considering no taper, a hard tempo run of 10 miles last weekend, etc. Her only real goal was to run an average of 10 seconds per mile faster than her Boston goal tempo, and she was right on the mark.

This year she's running a few local tri's (as will I if I can), a few road races, and a couple of trail ultras.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 22nd March 2010 at 20:20.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This one goes back a few years. It was right after I picked up the camera after a 25 year absence away... Namibia

You can see the heat distortion. It was at least 115f out that day, maybe more. Here this poor guy only wanted some shade, and it was the only tree for miles.
    Nice shot... very nicely composed. I feel sorry for the poor guy in that heat!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jason: Nice image. The tree shadow on the elephant shows he was right. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I've posted these. Cow Bay in Prince Rupert, British Columbia. Cheers, Matt

1. D3; 14-24mm f/2.8; 18mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

2. D3; 14-24mm f/2.8; 18mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I've posted these. Cow Bay in Prince Rupert, British Columbia. Cheers, Matt
    Really nice, Matt. I like the first one in particular. Great light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These two are very beautiful. Love the calm, blue atmosphere

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd/Jorgen: Thanks. Those were taken about 1:00 am from the window of my room at the B & B. Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will start a political movement that will seek to exclude from all governments on earth any politician who doesn't present a real, honest smile from the heart at least once per day, and any time he or she encounters citizens of his or her country. Those who don't comply, will have to work in the field, correcting the mistakes done by politicians through the centuries, until they learn to smile.

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/2.8

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I will start a political movement that will seek to exclude from all governments on earth any politician who doesn't present a real, honest smile from the heart at least once per day, and any time he or she encounters citizens of his or her country. Those who don't comply, will have to work in the field, correcting the mistakes done by politicians through the centuries, until they learn to smile.
    Jorgen: Wonderful color, composition and moment. I'd vote for her! Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen: Wonderful color, composition and moment. I'd vote for her! Cheers, Matt.

Agree!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Another shot from along the Colorado River yesterday morning. Slightly different framing from the prior shot. (I tried a processing suggestion from Steen, leaving the color balance on Daylight, which makes sense, since I would have used daylight film for this in "the old days". Also, I tried to open up the shadow areas just a little more than in the prior shot.

p.s., I couldn't avoid the branches without setting up in the river, which in the near darkness, and given the very muddy water, so that the depth was very uncertain, didn't seem like a smart idea.

D3, 28-70/2.8 @ 70mm f8, ISO 200

1. D3; 14-24mm f/2.8; 18mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

2. D3; 14-24mm f/2.8; 18mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

Gentlemen....Showtime!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lloyd, beautiful series, the last one is divine.
    Matt, your shots convey the ambiance so well.
    Jørgen, beautiful capture. Count me in on your political initiative.
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing that never seizes to amaze me, is the enormous dynamic range of the S5. Even with a photo like this, where the shirt of the guitar player was 3x255 more or less all over, once I had lowered the exposure by 0.5 and pulled the Recovery slider to 72, all the fine, striped structure, white stripes on white, became visible. The shadow details are still there too of course.

Unfortunately, Fujifilm never managed to get that message through to the majority of photographers, and sadly, I'm losing hope that there will be another Fuji DSLR. It's a pity. These are unique cameras, not only with regards to DR, but also to colour fidelity and WB.

I think I may have to buy another one.

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/1.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello to all you amazing photographers! I've been absent, playing lumber baron, and returned today for a scan of some of my favorite threads. Magnificent as always.

The last few posts brought to mind an internal discussion I seem to have with myself about post-processing. This thread may not be the place, but I'd be interested to hear how others avoid the temptation to "cook" their shots. I often find myself adding layer after layer in photoshop to enhance or correct small parts of an image only to return to the original RAW conversion in C1 and discover I like it better.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of times when the post really does make a positive difference. But in the cases where I go too far, the most telling evidence is the sense that the light is lost. It's not natural looking. All the various tones (shadow, mid-tones, highlights) might be technically accurate, but the subtlety of the light/moment gets crushed.

Here's an example of an old image I must have spent 2 hours on and built 25 layers into. I remember being exhausted afterwards and ending up hating the darn thing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll vote for her as well. And, while we're here, I have to say that the color just jumps off the screen for me. Perfect skin tones... really impressive.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen....Showtime!!!!
    Thanks Steve!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Lloyd, beautiful series, the last one is divine.

Osman
    Thank you, my friend. I'm honored.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Hello to all you amazing photographers! I've been absent, playing lumber baron, and returned today for a scan of some of my favorite threads. Magnificent as always.

The last few posts brought to mind an internal discussion I seem to have with myself about post-processing. This thread may not be the place, but I'd be interested to hear how others avoid the temptation to "cook" their shots. I often find myself adding layer after layer in photoshop to enhance or correct small parts of an image only to return to the original RAW conversion in C1 and discover I like it better.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of times when the post really does make a positive difference. But in the cases where I go too far, the most telling evidence is the sense that the light is lost. It's not natural looking. All the various tones (shadow, mid-tones, highlights) might be technically accurate, but the subtlety of the light/moment gets crushed.

Here's an example of an old image I must have spent 2 hours on and built 25 layers into. I remember being exhausted afterwards and ending up hating the darn thing.
    I know what you mean. I've sort of gone full circle, myself. I used to just accept everything as it came out of the camera (used to shoot exclusively jpg too... coming from film, I was intimidated by RAW, and not too familiar with Photoshop, etc.). Then, as I learned more about PS, Lightroom, etc., I fell into a time of spending hours on individual images. Now, I tried to get what I'm looking for in camera, and if I have to spend more than a couple of minutes on a file, I get frustrated. I use a few actions I've created to save time, and on portraits will add a vignette here and there, but I try be finished as quickly as I can, with as little as I can. Mind you, I don't get bothered by other's processing (or overprocessin) most of the time, it's just what I want for myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again nice stuff on this page, guys. I want sunday walks like LLoyd's, Matt's lunch breaks and girls smiling at me exactly like on Jorgen pictures. No it's not too much to ask. Or is it?

Tim- first your photo is super nice, nothing to say here. Re the general issue of (over)processing, i guess i generally feel close to what Lloyd answered above. More and more i try to get what i want from the camera (and it gets easier gaining experience taking digital photographs). Note, "what i want" is not always "how it'll eventually look". Depends on the subject, and purpose. Products are an animal on their own, where not only processing but -sometimes heavy- retouching is often required. Many landscapes benefits from a treatment resulting in a style that might either give a more dramatic look or emphasizes on some aspects.

But in many occurrences it's much more efficient and effective to try and stick with minimum processing from RAW files. I personally find that it's very much the case for nature close-ups (not necessarily macros, but not landscapes either) where "cooking" quite easily make things look, indeed, un-natural.

Here's a two shots, same subjects, that i was planning to post before reading your comments.

For these i used NX2 +CS4, the posted images are merely 4 processing steps form the RAW file. Camera profile and crop in NX2. A basic curve adjustment and sharpen applied just by using Bicubic Sharper when reducing the Image Size in PS. That's it.

(oh well, yes there's the innocuous white frame action)

Two quite similar photos, shot in a row with just a small change in distance. Slight variations too in camera profile (0 vs. +1 in NX2) and curve adjustments. Nothing drastic, though. And crop, of course.

I have to say that i find the minimal processing approach a bit easier with the D3X especially for exterior shots and also inside when working with strobes than it was with the D700 or D3. Where obviously the extended DR is a plus. Same thing when it comes to recovering lost HL or shadows (as Jorgen mentionned earlier with his beloved S5). Interior shots, especially high ISO is a different matter since the latest FW for D700/D3 makes them ideal for the purpose thanks to a -in my eyes- even superior AWB.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

2 Bellissimo Images Corlan!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

2 Bellissimo Images Corlan!
    Yup, what he said +1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely petals Corlan! And thanks for the kind words.

The one thing I will say for the "heavy processing" phase in photoshop is that I learned a lot about how to pull stuff closer to what I want to see. Sometimes that's just stripping away junk that's in the way, and sometimes it means adding emphasis to the subtle thing that attracted the eye initially. So maybe I use a bit less rouge and lipstick now (speaking metaphorically), preferring the understated to the in-your-face. I almost always start with the "Linear Response" setting and tweak from there, keeping in mind that every additional edit is (to some extent) destructive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting discussion going on here. One of the advantages using the S5 is the minimal need for PP. I only shoot RAW nowadays, and do all PP in ACR except colour and contrast enhancements which is mostly done with Curves in PS (and b&w conversions). No layers. It takes too much time, and I can't keep my concentration that long.

The D3X seems like a good alternative to the S5, although "somewhat" pricey. There's a rumour about a Nikon-branded camera with a Fuji sensor as well. One can only hope.

Beautiful photos, Corlan. Which lens is that? I'm thinking Zeiss 50 or 100 macro, but I don't know much about these things

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys for the kind comments. Much appreciated.
    Sometimes, simplicity just works -then why bother?

Jorgen, this is (Steen could have told you)... my usual weapon of choice for this kind of shot, the "reasonnable" 105 VR.

Re the D3X (and this lens, too), i was entertaining the idea of posting here a casual review of some kind with some straightforward examples -nothing too fancy.
    Might be of interest now that those bodies will get more and more affordable. When the replacement is available second hand offers will surely go way below the current D3S and maybe D700x. For those who don't need video or the 1T ISO, it might be a true bargain. But for now we have an ongoing D3 review, probably in the same spirit. Fist things first

A D3X equivalent with a Fuji sensor??
    Let me call my bank, but i'm definitely in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Politicians

Lovely idea Jørgen.
    Only one flaw; you've included the words "politician" and "heart" in the same sentence.
    They smile though, all the way to the bank.

Hmm, I'd better get back to photography, here's a real smile from the heart:

D700 500mm Nikkor 1/2000 at f/8 ISO 800

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Lovely idea Jørgen.
    Only one flaw; you've included the words "politician" and "heart" in the same sentence.

Priceless moment, terrific image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, playing with granddad is one subject that always fills my heart with joy. Very nicely captured.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Lovely idea Jørgen.

Lovely photo

Most people seems to be a bit pesimistic about the smiling capabilities of politicians, so I think I'll concentrate on smiling singers instead. They are prettier anyway

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Seattle's Pike Place Market at lunch time and Spring break. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D700; 85mm f/1.4; 1/5000s @ f/1.4; ISO 640

2. D700; 85mm f/1.4; 1/250s @ f/1.4; ISO 640

3. D700; 85mm f/1.4; 1/250s @ f/1.4; ISO 640

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt, these are spectacular shots. I always end up with excessive vignetting when I use the 85/1.4 fully open. That doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Osman

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Osman/Steve: Thanks.

Tim: It's a nice photgraph and i can see how you can obsess and spend that much time on it.

Corlan: The daisy shots are great. The eccentric composition and the simple , vibrant, colors really make them pop.

Jorgen: "Sweet Music" is another beautiful photo. The Fuji S5 really works for you. I don't think, i ever even seen one. You should have a spare.

Michael: Very nice image with the big lens. i like the way the adult's foot stretches out and creates a strong diagonal with the boy at the other end. The background softly fades OOF. Nicely captured.

I tend to work photos a lot when I should give up and move on (see Seattle citiscape posted earlier). I try to get it "right" in the camera; but, sometimes that doesn't work, or I have a different processing in mind that I think will strengthen the photo (sort of like distilling the essence that Tim describes). I can't say, for instance, that i always know that a shot is going to end up in B & W.

An example is the first photo that i posted above. When i took it, i knew that the only way, I'd get the result that i wanted was in post. That's five exposures created in Lightroom 2 as virtual copies (0, +2, +4, -2, & -4) and then combined in LR/Enfuse. My normal process is four steps, like Corlan's, except in Lightroom 2 and Nik software (occasionally into CS4 or Lightzone). Less is generally more; but, that still doesn't stop me from processing some images into the ground.

Here's the B&W version of the restaurant/ferry boat shot. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Matt, these are spectacular shots. I always end up with excessive vignetting when I use the 85/1.4 fully open. That doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Osman
    Osman: Thanks. You know, i haven't noticed vignetting? I just looked at the original DNG's (I always import and convert to DNG) and, i don't see any. Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The one with the two girls is great, Matt. The others too, but particularly that one.

Now I really need to consider another S5. The shutter of the D80 gave up today. The repair guy will see if he can fix it, but if he can't, the camera is probably dead. It has way beyond 50,000 clicks on its clock, and a new shutter assembly is not worth it. D90 or a used S5? Time will show.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the B&W version of the restaurant/ferry boat shot. Cheers, Matt
    These shots really are spectacular Matt. This one especially for me, and I like it equally well in color or b/w. Your process in post is really interesting. I can think of a few I've done recently that might benefit from that, and I'll have to give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys... great additions!!

I'm going through some older shots and thought I would post a few... From Chicago Fashion Week last fall.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen: Thanks. The two young girls at the fish market; or, the two in the cafe? Do you have an adapter for the S5 that allows the Nikkor lenses?

Lloyd: Thanks. I like it both color and B&W, too. I probably could have got better exposure on the ferry boat; but, it works this way for me. The LR/Enfuse program is shareware. Donate what you want.

Jason: Geez! Just rub it in! Nice work.

Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt... I've got more :-D Your Seattle shots are fantastic! Really want to get there someday...