The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

routlaw

Ran across this old rusted chevy pickup over the weekend. The stories these old beast could tell! :)

Rob

D3/85 TS Lens @ F4

D3/85 T/S Lens @f11

D3 24 TS/E Lens @ f5.6

D3 24 TS/E Lens @ f11

Lloyd

Ran across this old rusted chevy pickup over the weekend. The stories these old beast could tell! :)

Rob

D3/85 T/S Lens @f11

D3 24 TS/E Lens @ f11

Don't make them with that sort of character any more, for sure. Great stuff... especially these two.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Camping this past weekend. My Father and brother were hunting, I was as well... only with a camera. Here's our campsite.

D3, 14-24/2.8 @ 14/f11:
Sounds like great outdoor fun with the family.
Sweet!

This is from my first test assignment. And this is the only pic I taken with D3x. Everything else I shot with my LF camera. C&C are welcome!
This is a neat one Alex.
Re the lens choice, despite being a prime person myself, the 14-24 zoom will give you more flexibility for this kind of shots.

If you're tempted by Zeiss though, you might want to test the 18mmn, an interesting lens for interior shots -but need to try it out first before buying it.

AlexLF

This is a neat one Alex.
Re the lens choice, despite being a prime person myself, the 14-24 zoom will give you more flexibility for this kind of shots.

If you're tempted by Zeiss though, you might want to test the 18mmn, an interesting lens for interior shots -but need to try it out first before buying it.
Thank you!

14-24 is a very good lens but how's its barrel distortion? I guess Zeiss' primes should be more distortion free. Another tiny problem is one can't attach filters to that zoom. As always, the better decision to buy both :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you!

14-24 is a very good lens but how's its barrel distortion? I guess Zeiss' primes should be more distortion free. Another tiny problem is one can't attach filters to that zoom. As always, the better decision to buy both :)
Alex,there was this thread about that subject.
And I also recall another thread with very illustrative picture samples, but I don't seem to be able to find that other thread right at the moment.

routlaw

This is from my first test assignment. And this is the only pic I taken with D3x. Everything else I shot with my LF camera. C&C are welcome!
Alex, this is very nice with deep rich colors and smooth tonality. No doubt your client will be pleased.

I have a couple questions though. Given the small pixel size on the D3x sensor has it created any DOF issues before diffraction kicked in for you on this type of setup? How much if any post production enhancements are you doing with this camera... or are these images pretty much right out of the box?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Lloyd

As I've mentioned here before, my father was born and raised on an Indian reservation in Northeastern Utah. He went away to war in Europe as a young man (something he's never talked about to anyone), and then attended college (still a rare thing among those from where he comes) where he met my mother (who was born in Boston, and raised there and in England). He returned home, and coached basketball, and taught math and health for nearly 40 years. The kids called him Chief Yellow Hat, as he somehow developed a preference for bright yellow baseball caps. He moves slowly now, having had three knee replacements (only two knees, but one had to be done again after 15 years), and a hip replacement last year, but his mind is sharp as a tack, and his hands (and aim) as rock steady as ever.

Hunting was a way of life for my father, and is intertwined in most of the memories and stories of his youth... it is simply part of who he is. Now at almost 84, he wanted to go one more time to an area he hunted in as a young man, but which had been closed to hunting for number of years, and which even now allows only a small number of permits each year. He and my brother applied for 9 years before finally succeeding this year. Though not hunting myself, I decided that this last hunt was something I should not miss.

The hunt was successful on many levels... we saw lots of deer (as indicated by the few samples I posted above); both my Dad and my brother took large bucks (I'll respect the sensitivities of some, and not post those images), but most of all just to be with my father one more time in the wild land of his youth... to hear the stories, and to see his joy at sharing this experience with us, is something I will never forget. And every once in while, the elder disappeared, and a young man I have only imagined appeared. It was strong medicine, it may take me a long time to understand just how strong.

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Lloyd,

Outstanding series I especially like #s 2 and 3. The backlight shot is phenomenal....What a way to remember your dad!

Very nice work,

Bob

Lloyd

Lloyd,

Outstanding series I especially like #s 2 and 3. The backlight shot is phenomenal....What a way to remember your dad!

Very nice work,

Bob
Thanks Bob. And thanks for selling me the D3 I used to take these! :thumbup:

I really like the backlit one as well... it's straight out of the camera.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Lloyd,

that's altogether visually beautiful and a moving story.
Thanks for sharing the images and your thoughts...

(sorry for the lighter tone, but the Nikon logo on the rifle eyepiece's a nice wink. Didn't know they made those.... )

Lloyd

Lloyd,

that's altogether visually beautiful and a moving story.
Thanks for sharing the images and your thoughts...

(sorry for the lighter tone, but the Nikon logo on the rifle eyepiece's a nice wink. Didn't know they made those.... )
Thanks Corlan. Much appreciated.

Yes, Nikon makes all sorts of optics. I guess my father and I were both shooting with a Nikon. Makes sense somehow.

Lloyd

Down on the Res.

Was fooling around with B/W conversion in PS4 and moved the Yellow slider, getting this Fake IR effect.

D3, 28-70/2.8:

Original Color:

Last edited: