Site Sponsors
Page 85 of 100 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,250 of 4957

Thread: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    "Slimpickins" (and friend) working the crowd. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

1. D700; 24-70mm f/2.8;27mm; 1/400s @ f/5; ISO 200

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Denver Pyle making a comeback! Excellent Set!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys for the overly kind comments.
    I agree with Jorgen on the green one which came out surpringly good out of the box (but it's the first time i was trying one of these "greens with strong light" with the D3X).

Agreed too, Matt, i've heard the last mutation turned them into ninja style bugs, with an attitude. I inted to keep my distance and buy a TC-40 right away (or is it 30 ? )

Slimpickins' shots are great, love the subtle tones in the color versions in this set.

Jorgen- Interesting PJ set. Don't know anything about the situation, is the Red color for protestors over there a traditional thang?
    I second Steve re the Red Wheels. Besides great subject and composition, the IQ on this one is incredible, i keep looking at the chrome reflection in the pavement. Always wonder how you achieve this kind of the results on relatively fast moving subjects with, say, "not-so-specialized" gear. Well, guess i'm in need of a workshop... maybe one day down the canals

Jason- serious camera setup, indeed!
    Btw i know that tripods without center colums are supposedly superior performance wise, but for the life of me i cannot imagine having to deal with the three legs with the camera attached -or constantly having to take the camera off and on the tripod- when having to level/change height for a shot. Or did i miss something?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Chicago lost the sky line today...

http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post

Jorgen- Interesting PJ set. Don't know anything about the situation, is the Red color for protestors over there a traditional thang?
    Thank you for your kind words, both of you.

About the red colour: It started with the yellow protest movement that was against the ousted prime minister, Thaksin. They probably chose yellow because it's the colour of the king, but by making it political, they kind of destroyed the colour for normal people (Many people, particularly in Bangkok, used yellow shirts on Mondays out of respect for the king).

After a government supported by the yellows came to power, Thaksin's supporters took to the streets wearing red. I suspect that the colour is chosen for marketing reasons. It's the same colour as some popular English football teams (Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal), and it's something the population in rural areas, where Thaksin has most of his support, could easily identify with.

Thaksin is living in exile for the time being, and he's been charged and convicted for corruption. More than $1 billion of his fortune has been taken by the government as a result of this, and this conviction (and the money) is an important part of the disagreement. Although he did a few things for the farmers all over Thailand, something nobody had done before, there's little doubt that he brought corruption to a new level in Thailand, and his campaign against poverty was first and foremost directed towards his own bank account.

He's still a powerful man though, and he makes a lot of problems for the current government, a government that is far to careful not to do anything wrong, and thus doing very little.

The colour to wear to show respect for the king at the moment is pink. Many people wear it, particularly on Tuesdays (pink is the colour of Tuesday and the colour of King Chulalongkorn, a legendary king who lived 100 years ago) and Wednesdays, since the king had a pink jacket on a Wednesday he left the hospital where he has spent most of the last six months. The pink colour is said to be good for the king's health.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Matt: this is gorgeous. besides the imagery, I love violins.

Well done.
    rayyan: Thanks. I've taken a lot of photos of this band. She's and excellent violin player and a sultry, sexy, blues singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The Reds have taken to the streets of Bangkok again, trying to force the prime minister to resign. He won't of course, but it's serious enough for a state of emergency in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces declared tonight, after the parliament was attacked.

Yesterday, the Reds were touring the streets of Bangkok in their vehicles. As serious as the situation is, it isn't without a certain entertainment value, at least from a photographic point of view.
    Jorgen: Great photos! Nothing like a protest to provide some good ops. The Thai version does seem especially entertaining. I read in the last Economist (which won't be available in your neck of the woods) about the political turmoil and the succession. Interesting times for you ahead. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Muelver View Post
    Corlan, nice "wildlife" shots! Maybe one day when Matt grows a pair, he can get some macro shots of his bears!

Matt, that 16mm fish is great! I think there's a 9 also, and I'm not thinking of the DX version. It looks like you have a coffee mug attached to the front of your camera. There was one for sale at Calumet that I contemplated. Way cool and fun.
    Jason: If I had that lens, i could have used it. We were quite close at times: Matt/zodiac/4' of water/grizzly cub (mother was about 30' away). It is a fun lens.

You call that a camera, mate? Now THAT'S is a camera!

Was down in St. Louis with my wife's family. My brother in law's got a couple large format camera's so we grabbed his SINAR kit and went down the flooding Mississippi River and took some pictures, then developed the negatives. Ahhh... the good ol days!

and our intended target mimicking what we looking for out of the SINAR
    Jason: Nice. I could have taken that camera to photograph bears?

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Great set Jorgen! This One Is My Favorite!
    Jorgen: +1. Mine too!

Denver Pyle making a comeback! Excellent Set!
    Steve: Thanks. Don't know why he was giving me that look? He's not even with the band.

Agreed too, Matt, i've heard the last mutation turned them into ninja style bugs, with an attitude. I inted to keep my distance and buy a TC-40 right away (or is it 30 ? )

Slimpickins' shots are great, love the subtle tones in the color versions in this set.
    Corlan: You should get yourself some pepper spray just in case.

Thanks. I tried to bring them down from my usual predilection towards over-saturation. Of course, I just bought several rolls of Fuji Velvia!

Looks like Chicago lost the sky line today...

Jason: Nice capture and PP.

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jorgen for the thorough information.
    Apparently quite a confusing situation, but at least you know you have a lot of colors still out there to be documented with your camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks. I tried to bring them down from my usual predilection towards over-saturation. Of course, I just bought several rolls of Fuji Velvia!
    Suits the street and skin tones just fine.
    Can't remember the SW you use as RAW converter?

Velvia?
    A bit larger than life, but hey who's complainin?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Flowers, characters, and asparagus. Seattle's Pike Place Market. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3; 28mm f/1.4; 1/60s @ f/2.5; +1/3 EV; ISO 400

2. D3; 24-70mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/40s @ f/4; +1/3 EV; ISO 400

3. D3; 24-70mm f/2.8; 60mm; 1/40s @ f/4; +1/3 EV; ISO 400

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quite nice, Matt.

For some reason the second one rings like an interesting source for a couple of crops

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, the 28 1.4 is Magical & in a Class By Itself! Superb Color & IQ!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, Jason, Jorgen, great stuff all around.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Suits the street and skin tones just fine.
    Can't remember the SW you use as RAW converter?

Velvia?
    A bit larger than life, but hey who's complainin?
    Corlan: I use Lightroom 2 (ACR) and convert NEF to DNG on import. Velvia results will be interesting. Lloyd suggested Fuji Provia as a more realistic film. I'm trying a bunch.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quite nice, Matt.

For some reason the second one rings like an interesting source for a couple of crops
    Corlan: Thanks. I agree. I did this one last night. There's detail to crop even closer.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, the 28 1.4 is Magical & in a Class By Itself! Superb Color & IQ!
    Steve: Thanks. One of my all time favorite lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Matt, Jason, Jorgen, great stuff all around.
    Lloyd: Thank you.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt.....What A Face!!!! The Whole Seen Is Like Something Out Of A Kubrick Flick! The Background, Processing, IQ...Man I Love This!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great photo Matt, just great

Here's another red one:

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 155mm and f/8

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 220mm and f/5.6

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 8th April 2010 at 02:21.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Steve: Thanks. He does have a very bizarre look! I think I'll try another closer crop tonight.

Jorgen: Thanks. These are great! The red feet paddles (fans)? It's like they're at a football game. Keep them coming.

Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Another Pike Place Market shot (What else!). Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

D3; 24-70mm f/2.8; 1/50s @ f/5.6; +1/3 EV; ISO 400

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt, this tops your market shots so far. Excellent photography, colour and b&w equally good

The red feet clappers:
    The yellow shirts, who occupied the international airport for a week some 16 months ago, and managed to overthrow a previous government, used yellow, hand shaped clappers to applaud the endless speaches. The red shirts obviously have to use red clappers, but there's another, very important symbolic effect using feet. Anything to do with feet in this country is considered more or less taboo. The feet should never be pointed at anyone or raised anywhere near the height of one's head. Using feet clappers shows that these guys aren't afraid of challenging the ancient, and sometimes obsolete, rules and traditions that govern this country.

The farmers, who represent a very large portion of the population, have always been discriminated upon, and many Bangkokians mean, and even say in public, that they (the farmers) should only have limited voting rights, since they are ignorant and suspectible to corruption and election fraud. Election fraud is very widespread here, and a vote usually costs around $15, but from a western democratic point of view, those opinions are obviously totally unacceptable. People are btw. not electable to pairlament unless they have a university degree, which excludes most of the rural population from being elected. A degree can easily be bought, but that requires money, which most of the farmers don't have.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 8th April 2010 at 20:19.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen: Thank you. It's one that I missed at first pass through the shots. This forum is also helping me to improve my PP skills.

Very interesting about the feet. I now remember reading about the pointing of the feet. Using the paddles as a deliberate affront to authority is clever. I've also read that the reds may have more support in the city then people think (Economist again).

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen: Thank you. It's one that I missed at first pass through the shots. This forum is also helping me to improve my PP skills.

Very interesting about the feet. I now remember reading about the pointing of the feet. Using the paddles as a deliberate affront to authority is clever. I've also read that the reds may have more support in the city then people think (Economist again).

Cheers, Matt

Matt,
    They did have some support when they started the demonstrations, but as it has become clear that some of their leaders are regular thugs, and due to the fact that they are creating increasing problems for Bangkokians and tourists, that sympathy is quickly evaporating. It's a movement with some valid points, but under a somewhat dubious leadership.

Some of the top luxury hotels in Bangkok are selling their rooms for less than $100 per night now, and still they struggle to attract tourists. Some of those in the affected areas of Bangkok have even had to close down temporarily. For a country that attracts more than 15 million tourists per year, this is very bad news.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 8th April 2010 at 21:23.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen: Yeah, that doesn't sound like it's going well. Hopefully, it won't end badly. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the the usual suspects. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3; 24-70mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/40s @ f/4; +1/3 EV; ISO 400

2. D3; 24-70mm f/2.8; ISO 200

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

1. D3; 24-70mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/40s @ f/4; +1/3 EV; ISO 400

Quintessential, Stupendous, Work! Fish,Fresh Produce...You Must Be In Lloyd, Ironman Condition Matt!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the expressions & perspective Jorgen!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quintessential, Stupendous, Work! Fish,Fresh Produce...You Must Be In Lloyd, Ironman Condition Matt!

Steve: Thanks. Yeah, I wish. I just told somebody this morning that I need to work out a bit before i haul my mtn. bike out! The main bike/running/walking trail in Seattle is more, or less, outside my office door. Every day, i have to avoid running over some of the more ambitious (or pathological). (ps. won't have my M7 until Tues. )

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, beautiful capture, bringing the news in a more personnel manner.

Regards.

Here's another red one:

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 155mm and f/8

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 220mm and f/5.6

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, what a superb capture. brilliant timing and execution.

best.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

At a lunch break....a construction crew member from the AfPak border region.

Cheers.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers.
    Rayyan: Brilliant! The grain and tonality really bring out the character. The tight framing also suits this image.

Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Construction Crew Member

Excellent. Karsh would have liked this one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rayyan: Brilliant! The grain and tonality really bring out the character. The tight framing also suits this image.

Cheers, Matt.

+ 1! Intense!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cheers.
    Classic portrait

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The ladder trucks roll whenever there'a an alarm at the Market. Thank for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D700; 14-24mm f/2.8; 16mm; 1/500s @ f/11; ISO 400

2. D700; 14-24mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/400s @ f/10; ISO 400

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great portrait. That guy doesn't look like he's approve of the photos I've been taking lately

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, Michael, Steve, Jorgen...

Thanks a lot folks for your kind words.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

David, I would not hazard a guess and I am not keen to find out either

As for me, I think this is a beautiful model, beautifully photographed

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Great portrait. That guy doesn't look like he's approve of the photos I've been taking lately

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, Once again you prove your versatility by bringing us the common in
    a very uncommon and beautiful way.

Best.

The ladder trucks roll whenever there'a an alarm at the Market. Thank for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D700; 14-24mm f/2.8; 16mm; 1/500s @ f/11; ISO 400

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning tete a tete.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I would add some Bangkok images.

Although I cannot find the pretty ladies that Jorgen does.

The situation is growing a little tense, I think. These images are from a couple of weeks ago, when it was all a fun event. Well, mainly.

Rubber bullets and teargas today, plus BTS - rail system - closed.

Trying to decide whether I will brave it all tomorrow and try for some more images.

Enjoy.

John

All images - D3X, Nikon 70 - 200mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Like this one with regards to color,framing & the mean looking dude with the greased up biceps!
    David.....You just drained the batteries out of my pacemaker with these!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning tete a tete.

Regards.
    Photojournalism at it's finest!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I thought I would add some Bangkok images.

Although I cannot find the pretty ladies that Jorgen does.

The situation is growing a little tense, I think. These images are from a couple of weeks ago, when it was all a fun event. Well, mainly.

Rubber bullets and teargas today, plus BTS - rail system - closed.

Trying to decide whether I will brave it all tomorrow and try for some more images.

Enjoy.

John

All images - D3X, Nikon 70 - 200mm
    Superb set John!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Steve - Thanks for your comment.

Cheers,

John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

At my son's wedding recently...

thanks for stopping by.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

At my son's wedding recently...

The place of honor has always been and shall always remain for our elders.

Thanks for watching.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, my youngest didn't want to be left out of the action too!

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Rayran... amazing images. Congratulations on the wedding!! Would love to see more images of it, if you can.

Jørgen and John... stay safe. Sounds like things are heating up a touch.

But Jørgen, when I told my wife about the discounted hotel rates in Bangkok, her eyes opened wide a bit! I'd go back to SE Asia in a heartbeat! Loved it there!

Post Thanks / Like

Not much exciting here... a couple of pictures of Trek Highland Park grand re-opening

Post Thanks / Like

David,

Beautiful lighting, beautiful woman, but I have to say I find the crops disturbing, especially the one on the left, cut off mid-calf. (I know that's the correct area to crop rather than at a joint, but it still bothers me!)

The missing elbow on the right-hand image also jars me a bit.

The picture quality, however, is flawless.

(Sorry, I can't seem to get your pictures to show up in this post.)

Cheers,

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Simon, thanks for the kind words and your comments on cropping are well taken. Both of those crops were a result of less than ideal camera placement and the 9x12 aspect ratio that the girls need these to be for their book.

Steve, blame the palpitations on the model not the photographer. I had a few of my own during this shoot