The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

otumay

Finally broke the ice with D700 and took mom and dad to a fish restaurant on the Bosphorus. Shot with compassion and Nikkor 28/1.4.
Best,
Osman

Lloyd

Finally broke the ice with D700 and took mom and dad to a fish restaurant on the Bosphorus. Shot with compassion and Nikkor 28/1.4.
Best,
Osman

These are really nice, Osman. Wonderful color as well. Treasures... as are your parents. Your mother has a kind and gentle look.

routlaw

Treasure Found.

Ran into a young woman at my local camera shop this afternoon. She was recently poking around a flea market in Sandpoint, Idaho, and came across this pristine Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531. It is in absolutely perfect condition, and the leather case (not shown) looks new. Not a scratch or wear mark on it... nothing! I found one in ok condition on eBay with a Buy-it-Now price of $999.00. And the real news. She paid $2.00 for the camera. :eek: (I offered to triple her $$$, and give her $6.00 for it. She's thinking it over. :D)
All right that does I gotta start hitting the flea markets! :D BTW you are off to a great start with the D3, you'll love it! And clearly grandma's don't look like they used to.

Rob

Lloyd

All right that does I gotta start hitting the flea markets! :D BTW you are off to a great start with the D3, you'll love it! And clearly grandma's don't look like they used to.

Rob
Thanks Rob... she's not a typical grandma in any way, for sure. As for the D3, it was work like yours that inspired me to go for it. Of course lots of serious folks are moving to the D3x, but that's not in my cards at the moment. (Credit cards, that is.)

Lloyd

Still just playing around with the new D3. All with the 105VR/2.8 Micro Nikkor, and all just straight out of the camera other than applying calibration in ACR, resize and sharpen for web. Slight crop on the two flowers shots. All these shot at f3.5.

routlaw

Still just playing around with the new D3. All with the 105VR/2.8 Micro Nikkor, and all just straight out of the camera other than applying calibration in ACR, resize and sharpen for web. Slight crop on the two flowers shots. All these shot at f3.5.
Very nice, all of them!

Missed autumn here, went straight from summer to hard core winter in one day flat, over half a foot of snow last night, the 3rd one at that. 7º F tonight, 5º F tomorrow... flowers are looking good about now.

Rob

Lloyd

Very nice, all of them!

Missed autumn here, went straight from summer to hard core winter in one day flat, over half a foot of snow last night, the 3rd one at that. 7º F tonight, 5º F tomorrow... flowers are looking good about now.

Rob
Thanks Rob. We're having a strange autumn as well. Very cold last week, with rain, snow, sleet... the full-meal-deal. Back into the upper 50's, low 60s this week. The leaves were just coming on in the mountains when we had the snow, so that ended it all. In the valleys the leaves are just turning, but we had a hard frost for several days so they mostly seem to just go straight from green to brown. Weird.

I'm not ready for your weather. We were supposed to head up to Alberta this weekend, but decided to take a pass.

Lloyd

routlaw

Thanks Rob. We're having a strange autumn as well. Very cold last week, with rain, snow, sleet... the full-meal-deal. Back into the upper 50's, low 60s this week. The leaves were just coming on in the mountains when we had the snow, so that ended it all. In the valleys the leaves are just turning, but we had a hard frost for several days so they mostly seem to just go straight from green to brown. Weird.

I'm not ready for your weather. We were supposed to head up to Alberta this weekend, but decided to take a pass.

Lloyd
Strange brew indeed. I'm not ready for this either. Did hear some rumors that Glacier NP was not hit as hard, roads are open again. Its much lower in elevation than us, might make a difference. Right now 50-60's sound good! :(

clay stewart

Beautiful, Lloyd. I really like the blue flower shot. Some great bokeh with that lens huh?

otumay

These are really nice, Osman. Wonderful color as well. Treasures... as are your parents. Your mother has a kind and gentle look.
Thank you, Lloyd. Dad uses a Canon Ixus in addition to his Nikon D70s, but mom never leaves her Leica D-Lux 3 at home. I wonder how their shots were...

By the way, I liked your D3 photographs very much. Is there a substantial difference between the outputs of D3 and D700?

Best,
Osman

Lloyd

Thank you, Lloyd. Dad uses a Canon Ixus in addition to his Nikon D70s, but mom never leaves her Leica D-Lux 3 at home. I wonder how their shots were...

By the way, I liked your D3 photographs very much. Is there a substantial difference between the outputs of D3 and D700?

Best,
Osman
It would be interesting to see their shots. I always find surprising differences when I'm shooting with another person. Same subjects matter, far different results.

As for the D3 vs D700, I'm not a good judge. I've just moved from the D300, and there is a substantial difference on some levels there. (although I do miss having my long lenses get a bit more reach). I've used a D700 a couple of times, as my son has one, but not enough to have any sense of the comparisons.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
(although I do miss having my long lenses get a bit more reach). I've used a D700 a couple of times, as my son has one, but not enough to have any sense of the comparisons.
Nikon TC1.4E II Extender will bring that reach back with only a slight drop of contrast...very little loss of sharpness. Both remediable in post.

Bob

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Wow. Yes indeed. That shot of the bee is amazing, btw.
Thanks Lloyd. Re the 105VR, as mentionned some time ago it's an underrated lens. While it's considered good or even excellent, it's maybe one of the very best 100 out there.

With the now more limited reach, your new D3 and a bit of time to master the optimal distance/DOF/light/aperture combinations (i mention this because the full potential don't come easy, and it's somehow disarming at first, but some research is rewarding), with your portraits skills you will undoubtedly get stellar results... with a lot of artistic potential and leeway.
Definitely not the kind of lens from which you can only get a couple if not one type of results.

You'll tell us, but in my book the potential is superior to the 70-200mm's on FF. With the prime constraints -but as we all know they're also an asset.

etrigan63

Moonlight Observations
D700 + CV 20mm Color Skopar
2.5s @ f/3.5 ISO 200
Camera resting on a Pod.
Shot NEF, processed in LR 2.5 + SilverFX Pro