The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. Re the 105VR, as mentionned some time ago it's an underrated lens. While it's considered good or even excellent, it's maybe one of the very best 100 out there.

With the now more limited reach, your new D3 and a bit of time to master the optimal distance/DOF/light/aperture combinations (i mention this because the full potential don't come easy, and it's somehow disarming at first, but some research is rewarding), with your portraits skills you will undoubtedly get stellar results... with a lot of artistic potential and leeway.
Definitely not the kind of lens from which you can only get a couple if not one type of results.

You'll tell us, but in my book the potential is superior to the 70-200mm's on FF. With the prime constraints -but as we all know they're also an asset.
I think you're right here. I really enjoy that focal length, and I'm partial to primes. The 105VR, and the 85/1,4, are lenses I think will be very nice for portraits on the D3. Some experimenting coming up soon.

fultonpics

lloyd

congrats on the D3. a tip, put some black gaf tape on the top of the prism. i forgot too on one of mine and after a day of shlepping around, it got all scratched up. i did this to my canon's too. anyway, you will love that camera! i beat the heck out of mine.

tip 2: i NEVER transport a D3 with a lens on it. if you let your camera cap get hot--sitting in a car or whatever, be careful when putting it on the body--it can easily get stuck. had this happen. the nikon mounting on the body and lenses are not as forgiving as canon, so you have to take care putting caps on.

Lloyd

lloyd

congrats on the D3. a tip, put some black gaf tape on the top of the prism. i forgot too on one of mine and after a day of shlepping around, it got all scratched up. i did this to my canon's too. anyway, you will love that camera! i beat the heck out of mine.
Thanks, great idea, I'll do that. I actually have black gaffer tape on my Leicas (but just to cover the name and logos... attracts much less attention that way), so why not the Nikon, eh? :)

Lloyd

Watched my niece run Cross Country on Friday. (Terrible, contrasty, late afternoon light.) At this point in the race, my niece was dead last. She managed to pass three girls before the finish... but she had fun, so that's what matters. BTW, although it looks warm, it was actually quite cold. I was shivering up a storm, standing in the shade with only a light jacket. There was snow on the ground in this part just 4 days prior.

D3; 70-200/2.8 VR @ 3.5:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Is there a substantial difference between the outputs of D3 and D700?

Best,
Osman
No - I had both D3 & D700 before I bought my D3x and I saw NO difference between D3 & D700 output. Definitely differences in terms of ergonomics & viewfinder but not imagewise.

etrigan63

No - I had both D3 & D700 before I bought my D3x and I saw NO difference between D3 & D700 output. Definitely differences in terms of ergonomics & viewfinder but not imagewise.
That and the dual card-slots vs. no sensor cleaning. Hopefully the rumored D3s (coming in 3-4 days) will address this last shortcoming.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Nice interesting light compositions, Lloyd and Carlos.
Both the moonlight cat and the racing girls... at each end of the spectrum :)

Lloyd

D3; 70-200/2.8 VR @ 200/2.8 ISO 1100 (grain not a result of the high ISO) (I'm noticing some vignetting on this lens wide open on the D3). Playing with a b/w conversion, going for a film-like grain. I put the grain in the background area by play with the green slider in ACR.

Last edited:

fultonpics

here's a few snapshots i took on sunday...

Ryo Ishikawa just turned 18 last month and was amazing. Watch for him. He stormed to number 1 in Japan and should mature nicely. notice photogs in pic #1--bad angle....

famous guy

Y.E. Yang gets some revenge from Famous Guy

Spider Man !!

Lloyd

here's a few snapshots i took on sunday...

Ryo Ishikawa just turned 18 last month and was amazing. Watch for him. He stormed to number 1 in Japan and should mature nicely.
Nice series. That one dude looks sorta familiar;)... I guess he's famous enough.

fultonpics

funny, i probably was standing next to matt....i have the whole series i posted. tiger 'pumps' are popular, so you have to remember to always 'follow' thru when shooting him. i ended up sending over a 100 images in yesterday-good day for golf.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi Lloyd, nice portrait!

Is the vignetting bothering you? The BW looks just fine, FWIW looking at the processed photo from here the background has a somehow "glassy" quality to it (prob due to essentially transition noise in the mid-grey zone).

Might very well be an effect the smaller size + jpeg compression.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
funny, i probably was standing next to matt....i have the whole series i posted. tiger 'pumps' are popular, so you have to remember to always 'follow' thru when shooting him. i ended up sending over a 100 images in yesterday-good day for golf.
Sounds like you had quite the same angle then MS was using a tad wider FL :)

2nd and last of the photos posted here are also stunning!
(even though not as popular for obvious reasons)

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd, nice portrait!

Is the vignetting bothering you? The BW looks just fine, FWIW looking at the processed photo from here the background has a somehow "glassy" quality to it (prob due to essentially transition noise in the mid-grey zone).

Might very well be an effect the smaller size + jpeg compression.
Thanks Corlan. I'm not particularly bothered by the vignetting so far, we'll see over time. I agree about the background... both observations.