The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Lloyd

Lloyd! Looks good. We don´t celebrate Thanksgiving around here - at least not the way you do. Still; I´m preparing an elk steak for dinner tonight. I did not shoot the big rascal myself (the gods forbid:D). The guilty party is the owner of a certain female, called Trixie. We got the meat as an in-direct thanks to Rulle (the bold male you see in above picture with my younger daughter) and his fathering of one (probably two, come New Year) litters of puppies. :) Guess we all have our talents.:D
leif e
Elk steak! A worth reward for sure. I guess one good shot (or perhaps two, in Rulle's part) deserves another, eh? :D

T

tetsrfun

what made it even more important/special was that our daughter-in-law was going to run it with us... her first ever 5K.
My GF and her mother are runners....It's their fault that I ordered a 70-200 VR II....hopefully it will get here next week...their next full and 1/2 marathon are next Sat. :>)

Steve

Lloyd

what made it even more important/special was that our daughter-in-law was going to run it with us... her first ever 5K.
My GF and her mother are runners....It's their fault that I ordered a 70-200 VR II....hopefully it will get here next week...their next full and 1/2 marathon are next Sat. :>)

Steve
Very nice... both the coming runs and the coming lens! Which races are they doing?

We were able to get my daughter-in-law and her brother in a Santa Run this afternoon. Should be fun as the entry fee includes a Santa hat and shirt, which all runners wear during the race. Ironically, my wife just bought me the 70-200 VR II, which I picked up on Wednesday, and plan to use to shoot the race this afternoon.

T

tetsrfun

Very nice... both the coming runs and the coming lens! Which races are they doing?

We were able to get my daughter-in-law and her brother in a Santa Run this afternoon. Should be fun as the entry fee includes a Santa hat and shirt, which all runners wear during the race. Ironically, my wife just bought me the 70-200 VR II, which I picked up on Wednesday, and plan to use to shoot the race this afternoon.
St. Jude Marathon and 1/2... Memphis, TN. IMO, Runners are a little "off"; this will be her fourth Marathon in ten months in addition to several 1/2s and 10 ks.

I have just recently been trying some race photos....the 24-70 tends to be too short and the 300 f/4 too long...the 70-200 should be just right!!!.

Steve

Lloyd

St. Jude Marathon and 1/2... Memphis, TN. IMO, Runners are a little "off"; this will be her fourth Marathon in ten months in addition to several 1/2s and 10 ks.

I have just recently been trying some race photos....the 24-70 tends to be too short and the 300 f/4 too long...the 70-200 should be just right!!!.

Steve
LOL. I know just what you mean. My wife just ran the NYC Marathon, and is doing Boston in April. She is doing 2 Halfs between now and then, along with some cross country ski and snowshoe races. She's primarily a triathlete (and a 10-time Ironman finisher), but does a number of running races each year, so yeah, a little "off" seems fair. ;)

I think you'll be very pleased with the 70-200 at the race. It's my preferred lens for events. I've shot a few triathlons with the 200-400, but not being as mobile, combined with the longer focal length can be an issue at times. Looking forward to some examples. :thumbup:

T

tetsrfun

and is doing Boston in April
That is the GF's goal; a Boston qualifying time...she didn't make the NY lottery but will run Boston in April in a "fund raising" slot and hopes to get her Boston time in Boston. She is finding it hard to do enough miles in training runs and work 80+ hours a week.

Steve

Lloyd

and is doing Boston in April
That is the GF's goal; a Boston qualifying time...she didn't make the NY lottery but will run Boston in April in a "fund raising" slot and hopes to get her Boston time in Boston. She is finding it hard to do enough miles in training runs and work 80+ hours a week.

Steve
Good luck to her on that, it is a challenge to it, but it seems easier after the first time.

I've tried myself a number of times, and had planned to try again at California International Marathon, but an injury, and some other health issues took that option away. My wife, on the other hand, has never had a problem. She got into NYC as an automatic qualifier, based on time, and started with the "Sub-Elites". She would like to run Boston under 3:00 this next year, but she works a lot as well, and then divides her training between so many sports (swimming, XC skiing, biking, etc.) that she doesn't have the run focus to hit the really fast times she used to do. But then, she's a grandmother, so it's not too shabby.

Again, best of luck to her, and maybe we'll see you in Boston.

Lloyd

There were indeed some hard feelings among owners of Japanese bikes for this occasion. And the police in the front; they all rode BMWs :rolleyes:
Around here, at least, the BMW riders and the Harley riders respect each other. We had 4 Harleys over the years, but were quite surprised by the attitude we got when we bought a Honda Goldwing.

m_driscoll

Lloyd, beautiful portrait of your son.
Matt, your Prince Rupert shots are otherworldly.
This thread is wonderful!
Osman
They definitely look joyful! Your photo would make their day for guys like Pixar... Great catch! :thumbs:
Thank you Osman.

I think I could go either way on those shots, Matt. I do like the color in the fog, however. Adds a little mystery the that b/w lacks. And I'm a huge fan of b/w.
Gentlemen: Just getting back after Thanksgiving. Thanks for the comments. I think the color does have a slight edge for the reason Lloyd noted. I printed them both out today on Canson Rag Photographique Duo, 11x17. The matte finish seems to work well with these "foggy' photos. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

leif e

Mounted on the Nikon with an adapter or did/do they make an "F" mount?

Steve
Steve; the CV 1,4/58 is made for Nikon and has the chip for all electronic couplings. Great lens. Optically it´s a modern version of the 60s Topcon 58, I read somewhere.
leif e

leif e

Leif: Good capture. The National Dog show is on television here every Thanksgiving. Is that a "working" or "sporting" dog? Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Rulle has to limit himself to the "sports", I´m afraid. He´s a rural mix of Golden Retriever and Border Collie - the Border Collie coming through very strongly. We were dead scared last year when he slipped loose in the mountains and started chasing after some sheep. What he wanted, however, was to herd them; he had the mother and three lambs lying down in no time. Actually some people are mixing those two breeds on purpose now, to get good work dogs.

The great woods and the mountains are his places of choice ...

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Rulle has to limit himself to the "sports", I´m afraid. He´s a rural mix of Golden Retriever and Border Collie - the Border Collie coming through very strongly. We were dead scared last year when he slipped loose in the mountains and started chasing after some sheep. What he wanted, however, was to herd them; he had the mother and three lambs lying down in no time. Actually some people are mixing those two breeds on purpose now, to get good work dogs.

The great woods and the mountains are his places of choice ...
Leif

I love your doggie portrait! Very good composition

Woody