The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

shtarka1

Jorgen....Rich,Colorful Images! Excellent!

Lloyd...Thank You! The shot's of your Wife are So Nice! What an Athlete!

D300, 24-70 :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wow... thanks guys. Glad that you liked them.

Here's another one. This is one of those moments when a 200mm f/2.0 would have made the photo better, with the people in the background a little bit more OOF... if that lens had been on my camera. In this case, I didn't even have time to stop down to f/2.8, so I probably shouldn't think about it. I still like the concept though, so I post it anyway.

S5 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/3.2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Cool Harley photo, Mark, but where's the photographer?

Lloyd, I like the second photo of your wife. For the first one, I have a question, a long one:
When I see portraits that are technically good, like this one, but taken slightly from above, I get an uneasy feeling. Partly, it looks uncomfortable for the model, who has to look up, secondly, the amount of hair tends to exceed the amount of face in the photo and lastly, but most important to me, (possibly because I live in a country where the level of one's head compared to others in the room is a deciding factor with regards to status and respect) is that you place yourself above the model.

When the angle contributes to the artistic qualities of the photos, it's a totally different matter, but in most cases, I can't see that it does. Is it me that is totally off here, or do I have a point?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was running out of memory cards and had to take jpegs (the Fuji RAWs are 30MB each), and lighting was beyond horrible, so WB is a bit off sometimes.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/2.8

Lloyd

Cool Harley photo, Mark, but where's the photographer?

Lloyd, I like the second photo of your wife. For the first one, I have a question, a long one:
When I see portraits that are technically good, like this one, but taken slightly from above, I get an uneasy feeling. Partly, it looks uncomfortable for the model, who has to look up, secondly, the amount of hair tends to exceed the amount of face in the photo and lastly, but most important to me, (possibly because I live in a country where the level of one's head compared to others in the room is a deciding factor with regards to status and respect) is that you place yourself above the model.

When the angle contributes to the artistic qualities of the photos, it's a totally different matter, but in most cases, I can't see that it does. Is it me that is totally off here, or do I have a point?
Hi Jorgen, thanks for the input and the question. I think you have a point, but the perception of course varies depending on lots of factors, and the cultural ones certainly can't be discounted... the eyes of the beholder do matter.

I've used that perspective for portraits for years, and mostly for female subjects. I honestly hadn't considered the status or respect aspect, my main objective being to emphasis their eyes, which that angle has a tendency to do. I also hadn't thought about the hair overshadowing the face, but that could be true, (and could be used intentionally when the hair is the real subject). Interesting thoughts, and I appreciate your pointing these out. It will certainly have me thinking when I'm posing subjects.

Here's a shot of our Rachel from that angle... the intent here was to bring out her eyes (which everyone comments on anyway) The fact is here she was giving me "the evil eye". ;)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree that it emphasis the eyes, and sometimes, like in the portrait of Rachel here, it does work. The relationship between photographer/viewer and subject is an interesting theme btw. Since there will mostly be many more viewers than photographers (of which there is only one per photo anyway... easy to count), I mostly try to imagine myself in the position of the viewer when I take photos, at the same time asking myself: what is my (the viewer's) relationship to the subject. That's a tricky question sometimes, and I could go on answering that for hours, days and weeks, possibly disagreeing with myself a number of times on the way :confused:

m_driscoll

Shtarka1: Thanks for the comments. Have fun with the M9. My dealer didn't get any in last week. Maybe next week. Look forward to seeing your work with it.

Jorgen: Wonderful photos. I especially like "Migawa". I agree with your comment on the photo of the boy and the background. I like the way almost everybody's looking in the opposite direction from the way the boy's going. If you're not a purist, you could always photoshop the OOF in.

Lloyd: Thanks. Nice portraits. Lighting and color seems perfect.

Jorgen/Lloyd: Interesting discussion. Thanks.

Cheers,

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

I mostly try to imagine myself in the position of the viewer when I take photos, at the same time asking myself: what is my (the viewer's) relationship to the subject. That's a tricky question sometimes, and I could go on answering that for hours, days and weeks, possibly disagreeing with myself a number of times on the way :confused:
I do that as well, most of the time, or when I think it matters. However, for much of what I post here, I'm just messing around, trying new things, or looking for people's reactions to those ideas, so I think less in advance about the reaction of the viewer(s). I think about it more if I'm shooting something for someone else, or attempting to convey a particular message. And like you, I've driven my self crazy in so doing, and changed my position on the subject numerous times. If I'm not (shooting for someone else, or attempting to say something in particular), I just do what I like, and the viewers can agree or disagree as they please.

shtarka1

Thanks Guy's! Im learning new thing's all the time on this site! Interesting & informative discussion....
Loyd, beautiful & intense Eye's on Rachel!
Jorgen, Love the B&W "Front Runner"!

Race Point Beach, Provincetown, Ma
D300, Sigma 50 :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Wow... thanks guys. Glad that you liked them.

Here's another one. This is one of those moments when a 200mm f/2.0 would have made the photo better, with the people in the background a little bit more OOF... if that lens had been on my camera. In this case, I didn't even have time to stop down to f/2.8, so I probably shouldn't think about it. I still like the concept though, so I post it anyway.
See what you mean with the 200mm f2 (the one and only lens i keep dreaming about), and not sure the PP can give this unique feel of focal separation... otoh it's so bulky that you'd probably have missed the shot :rolleyes:

Seriously, one probably has to somehow modify his approach to candids, sometimes more letting things happening from a -relatively- static point of origin, and less "chasing" for the subject.

Btw, have to second the gang here... the Carnival shots are wonderful both in color and compositions.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Still processing photos from last year's trip to Northern British Columbia (Khutzeymatteen). A couple of rowdy teenagers. Thanks for looking. Cheers.
Like the bear shots very much, Matt, they're very tri-dimensionnal.

(technical note -and interrogation- the first time i looked at them it was on IE8 the second time today on Firefox. For some reason the 3D effect is much more dramatic with the latter... doesn't seem related to color profiling (IE not compliant)... go figure)

viablex1

Lloyd nice shot, your daughter is very beautiful...you must be proud...

here are some from my first birthday shoot. D700, SB900 and a lot of prayer..

viablex1

Fiddling around with my studio strobes last night, working on some concepts for my wife's cycling/triathlon team's website. This isn't one of the concept shots, I was just getting the strobes dialed in. Here my ever-patient, live-in model is standing in front of an OctoDome, and is lit by a Mola beauty dish.

D3; 85/1.4 @ f11, 1/250, ISO 200:

nice what type of strobes? damn this site is killing me I just bought a chamonix and now I want portable studio lighting...damn...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Matto, the last two are really lovely.
Have you considered cropping (square?) the next-to-last?
The last one is simply a killer.