The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Laugh all you want, it's a whole different story with larger wildlife, esp mammals.

VR, with a vengeance:

quick postcard for my daughter staying at her grandparents'...

:D

Lloyd

Laugh all you want, it's a whole different story with larger wildlife, esp mammals.

VR, with a vengeance:

quick postcard for my daughter staying at her grandparents'...

:D
See! Now that's why we lay out the big bucks for the fancy gear!

shtarka1

:ROTFL:! Corlan, you had your Billingham Camouflage Outfit On To Get That Close!:)

Jorgen, I hope you Framed that shot!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Last week, 1/6s, no VR :D

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/2.8
Who needs VR when you have a nice railing to support your camera? :rolleyes:

Joking aside, this one is full of nuance and shades... great.

:ROTFL:! Corlan, you had your Billingham Camouflage Outfit On To Get That Close!:)
...steady... i'm a stone... snow in my mouth... breathe slowly... count to ten... aim at the eye.

:toocool:

Last edited:

Lloyd

Winter Continued...

D3,24-70 & D300,14-24 :)
Definitely looks like you got clobbered, Steve. Nice shots. That "Framed" one took me a minute to realize that dot down the hill was a sledder. That gives some dimension I would have missed otherwise. Pretty big hill.

shtarka1

Definitely looks like you got clobbered, Steve. Nice shots. That "Framed" one took me a minute to realize that dot down the hill was a sledder. That gives some dimension I would have missed otherwise. Pretty big hill.
Thanks Lloyd. We've got more snow coming for x-mass in the forcast! My back is killing me!:)
Steve, I loved all of the images. You make Nikons sing.
Best,
Osman
Very Kind Of You My Friend!
The little girl on the sled is just superb.

Here's from the alternative winter.

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 42mm and f/4.8

Jorgen...What i wouldn't give for a week of this right now! Thanks for taking me away for a moment!:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks guys. Glad you liked it.

When I was waiting for the lift at the first floor, seeing the sun going down and assuming that there was a motive like this from the balcony on the 15th, just to discover that I needed a key card to get there, and had to call my brother to come down to pick me up, so I practically ran through the hotel room while getting the camera out of the bag, saying hello to my niece and my sister in law on the way (yes, they know I'm kind of strange, so they didn't mind), and then, as I got my head over the balcony rail, I took the photo more or less instantly.

Then, I asked myself: What is preparations really? Is it the fraction of a second it took to compose the photo, or is it the anticipation of what I thought was there from the moment my brother told me where they were going to stay and I looked it up on Google Maps?

It's an interesting question. There are hundreds or even thousands of photos in the back of my head that I haven't taken yet, simply because I haven't been at the location, or the light wasn't right when I was there. Sometimes, I think I have a watertight plan, but then, when I arrive, it wasn't as I thought, and I have to rethink and re-plan for minutes or hours to get it right. But sometimes, like in this case, it worked rather smoothly, but if my brother had been taking a shower, who knows?

Wow... I'm almost embarrassed just to post with all the talent here!

Regardless... some from the snow today!

Mr. Cub might not like the snow, but he's still smiling!

D700 105 DC f2 1/400 ISO 250

And who says a D700 can't be used for street photography? ;-)

D700 105 DC f2.2 1/320 ISO 250

Last edited:

Lloyd

Wow... I'm almost embarrassed just to post with all the talent here!

Regardless... some from the snow today!
Nice images, Jason. I love that lens, and you're getting a very 3D effect, which works well here. Post away... this is a mutual inspiration association. :thumbup:

Lloyd

Thanks guys. Glad you liked it.

When I was waiting for the lift at the first floor, seeing the sun going down and assuming that there was a motive like this from the balcony on the 15th, just to discover that I needed a key card to get there, and had to call my brother to come down to pick me up, so I practically ran through the hotel room while getting the camera out of the bag, saying hello to my niece and my sister in law on the way (yes, they know I'm kind of strange, so they didn't mind), and then, as I got my head over the balcony rail, I took the photo more or less instantly.
Proof once again, that the ability to visualize the image in advance (sort of what you describe in the last paragraph) is often key to making it successful. After that, it's "f8 and be there". You've shown that to us in numerous fine examples. :salute:

Then, I asked myself: What is preparations really? Is it the fraction of a second it took to compose the photo, or is it the anticipation of what I thought was there from the moment my brother told me where they were going to stay and I looked it up on Google Maps?
Again, I think you answer this with your statement in the beginning of the paragraph below, "There are hundreds or even thousands of photos in the back of my head..." All most all of the really good (and the truly great) photographers I've know were the same in that regard.

It's an interesting question. There are hundreds or even thousands of photos in the back of my head that I haven't taken yet, simply because I haven't been at the location, or the light wasn't right when I was there.
Yes, indeed.

Sometimes, I think I have a watertight plan, but then, when I arrive, it wasn't as I thought, and I have to rethink and re-plan for minutes or hours to get it right. But sometimes, like in this case, it worked rather smoothly
Isn't that the truth. I have a shoot this weekend that I've been planning for weeks. I had a concept in my head I was pretty excited about, and had even sketched out some ideas in a notebook. Yesterday, I was finally able to scout the location, and found to my dismay that what I wanted to do simply won't work. I was pretty frustrated, but took some shots of the area anyway. Later, when I reviewed those images I started to visualize another way to approach it, and came up with a plan I like even better than the one I had been thinking of before. Now I'm excited again... we'll see how it goes in actual execution.

but if my brother had been taking a shower, who knows?
Well, if that happens, please spare us the shots of your brother in the shower! :D