The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

fultonpics

i went ahead and got the new 70-200. between the lens and the new firmware, i was amazed at how easy tonight's hockey game was. quite an improvement in awb from the firmware, and the lens is quite a a better than i expected. you can see one of the players diving out of the way of the puck coming in at the goalie. shot at iso 2000 and auto white balance under artificial lights that would look pretty yellow/brown with the older firmware. anyway, i guess the new 70-200 is worth the $800 it cost me to upgrade (sell old, buy new).

shtarka1

Jason, that shot of your niece looks like a 50's portrait out of Life magazine! Off the Charts!!!

Matt....The Bear Series is Honestly The Best Work I've Ever Seen on this Subject!!!

Mr Fulton Super Crisp Image! Great Job!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
It was in this macro thred Post # 167. I never forget a Corlan macro :) I like this full frame as well.

Sorting out older folders on this -again- cold, windy Saturday... found this one from which i had posted a crop some time ago (can't find it though). The original below, no crop, pretty much out of the camera with simple Nikon Vivid mode out of NX2, looked kinda ok.

D700 105VR WO (f3.2 corrected) Manual Focus

Lloyd

i went ahead and got the new 70-200. between the lens and the new firmware, i was amazed at how easy tonight's hockey game was. quite an improvement in awb from the firmware, and the lens is quite a a better than i expected. you can see one of the players diving out of the way of the puck coming in at the goalie. shot at iso 2000 and auto white balance under artificial lights that would look pretty yellow/brown with the older firmware. anyway, i guess the new 70-200 is worth the $800 it cost me to upgrade (sell old, buy new).
Great results for sure, Bob. Looks like I'd better load up that new firmware.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Steve!... and Steen, no wonder you're our official documentalist here with such a fine visual memory :)

Seconding Steve now on both comments:

- Matt, great job on this difficult subject :thumbup:

- Jason classic magazine quality indeed! :toocool:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Super shot, as always Bob...
Nikon should definitely give you the long lenses, each time you make everyone want one! :thumbs:

And you're right to underline the terrific job Nikon did on this new firmware, i was astonished myself at the improvement of the AWB in artificial light, a long way from the previous yellow/orange/brownish :shocked:

At a lesser degree but still noticeable, noise is better too at mid-ISO and up. I'm not technically educated enough but it feels just like it's somehow related to the AWB improvement. Can't explain -and i'm very possibly wrong- but it's how it feels when opening the RAW files... great stuff anyhow.

Lloyd, if Nikon's work is anywhere as good on the D3 than on the D700, you'll love it, guaranteed! :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great winter shots, Alex.

Back from the golf course last night, after three days in the baking hot sun, catching a flu or something along the way. Here are a few more samples:

D80 with 300mm @ f/4

D80 with 300mm @ f/4

D80 with 300mm @ f/4

S5 with 80-200 @ f/2.8

I've only been through a tiny fraction of the photos I took, but there seems to be a couple of keepers. The most important thing of all: this is one of the greatest photo experiences I've had ever. It was a fantastic opportunity to take people photos, and although physically challenging, I feel that it was worth it. Sports photographers is a different race, but they are great people. I want to become one when I grow up :D

Oh, and another thing: I need (read: want) a D300s. The frame rate would be useful for this kind of photography, as would the high ISO capabilities and the added resolution, but most of all, I discovered that there's actually a rather big difference between the viewfinder of my D80 and S5, and probably even more so between the D80 and the D300s. I haven't really noticed before, but then, I haven't used the cameras side-by-side under challenging circumstances like these before either.

And a second thing.... a 200-400 would be nice. Santa Clause? Is he on holiday yet?

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And a couple with the Reflex. The Reflex and the S5 is a fantastic match from a sharpness and colour point of view. The trick is to avoid busy backgrounds and obviously out of focus highlights. Manual focus is a strain on the eyes as well, and after four hours and a few hundred shots, I really needed a rest.

S5 with 500mm f/8 Reflex

S5 with 500mm f/8 Reflex

Lloyd

Great stuff, Jorgen. I really like them all, but I LOVE that second one of the first set. When you recover from that sportshooter headache, post more!!

m_driscoll

Lloyd/Osman/AlexLF/CorlanF/Steve: Thanks for your kind comments. I'm still working my way through the processing. Hopefully, I don't end up posting repeats.

Fultonpics: Great hockey shot. I had to look for the puck. You couldn't have waited until it was on a white background? It is a nice lens!

Jorgan: Stellar golf photos. Almost makes it look like fun. And on that last shot, thanks for getting the ball on the blue background. The "fishing" bear was practicing for the salmon run later in the season.

Cheers,

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Matt, I always try to wait until the ball is on a blue background ;)
The real fun part is when the marshals decide that the photographers should only be allowed to walk (run) in the rough, and starting after the players have left the tee-box. For this tournament, they had even grown the rough unusually long. Great exercise :thumbup:

Here's another one of the young Japanese superstar, Ryo Ishikawa. There must have been nearly 100 Japanese accredited photographers present during the first two days. Fortunately, most of them returned to Japan after they got the images they wanted.

D80 with 300mm @ f/4

It's tricky sometimes to figure out before the swing, where the head and club of the player will be after, and to get focus placed correctly, but it's a fun challenge :)

Lloyd

Here's another one of the young Japanese superstar, Ryo Ishikawa. There must have been nearly 100 Japanese accredited photographers present during the first two days. Fortunately, most of them returned to Japan after they got the images they wanted.

It's tricky sometimes to figure out before the swing, where the head and club of the player will be after, and to get focus placed correctly, but it's a fun challenge :)
Whoa! Nicely done Jorgen. This one rocks! :salute:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Cool hockey shot with lots of action. What's the shutter time and f-stop?