The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Real cute kids, Jorgen & Jason! :thumbup:

Steve, this second shot though being a classic is spot on. And super nice b&w PP as usual :)

Oooooohhhh... what's a 58 Noct 1.2 and where do I find one!! The cannon shots are fab!
Well... now you know how to spend those $3500 you were wondering about!! :rolleyes: :D

shtarka1

Oooooohhhh... what's a 58 Noct 1.2 and where do I find one!! The cannon shots are fab!
Thanks Jason! You can find them on Flea-Bay. Kinda pricey though!
Real cute kids, Jorgen & Jason! :thumbup:

Steve, this second shot though being a classic is spot on. And super nice b&w PP as usual :)

Well... now you know how to spend those $3500 you were wondering about!! :rolleyes: :D
Thanks Corlan! Got the Noct about a year ago out of Hong Kong (ebay) Thought it was crazy at 2g's but it keeps going up in price averaging like you said around 3500. Its the ais in mint condition and rarely comes off the D3.:)

Lloyd

Those are stunning, Steve. What amazing bokeh! Also, the leaves on in the last one are wonderfully silvery. Love your processing.

shtarka1

Lloyd,Jorgen, thanks so much!

Jorgen, the light,3d effect,color ,framing, are Picture Perfect! Love to see this in a poster size or in an upcoming photo book...;):)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, i like the composition, the clean HL and the smooth shadows on this last one.
Question: with the 17mm range did you have to heavily correct the perspective in PS here? The result is pretty impressive in this regard, considering.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, i like the composition, the clean HL and the smooth shadows on this last one.
Question: with the 17mm range did you have to heavily correct the perspective in PS here? The result is pretty impressive in this regard, considering.
You are right. Lots of perspective correction, and after that, "Warp" correction to get the lines of the stupa right. The colour of the sky is corrected as well (darker, more saturated, Chiang Mai is a city that suffers heavily from air pollution, and it is clearly visible in photos).

My Tamron seems to be less sharp on the left side than on the right btw., even at f/8 :(

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Probably not in a cheerful mood lately...

btw, do the backgrounds count as brick walls for the ban thing? :confused: :angel:

shtarka1

Corlan, i like the contrast,grain & surreal feel in both of these. It reminds me of a show i used to watch as a kid called "Dark Shadows"! I identify with your mood today..:cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, great job then! :thumbup:

(i was quite ready to order the Tamron on the spot otherwise) :cool:
Corlan,
I suppose we get what we pay for, and this is a question of improper QC. The Tamron is still great value for money, at least the version without optical stabilisation. Here in Thailand, it's around a fifth of the price of the Nikkor, and since it's much lighter and smaller, it's very suitable for travelling. I think the version with stabilisation has a different optical formula, but it's also much more expensive.

To get small size and a reasonable price, I'm tempted by the Pentax K-x with the Pentax/Tokina 16-50/2.8, a combo that costs more or less the same as the Nikkor alone, but I'm tempted by so many things :rolleyes:

Another possibility would be the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 plus the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. To me, the longer/wider perspectives would be more useful than the lacking 16-28mm.

Very lovely cemetery shots, particularly the first one :thumbup: