The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This activity has all the earmarks of actual work, Tim...
Thanks Lloyd. It's not my normal work but a welcome break during a month that's typically very slow and boring. Simple pleasures of seeing a tangible outcome. Not to mention the wood is beautiful and I sleep like a baby. I now have a much greater respect for those who make a living in the woods. Tough, dangerous work and long days. However, absolutely zero office politics. ;)

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. It's not my normal work but a welcome break during a month that's typically very slow and boring. Simple pleasures of seeing a tangible outcome. Not to mention the wood is beautiful and I sleep like a baby. I now have a much greater respect for those who make a living in the woods. Tough, dangerous work and long days. However, absolutely zero office politics. ;)
Several good points there Tim, that last one being one of the best. :thumbs:

I know what you mean about tangible outcome. I worked framing houses during the summer while in college. I loved the fact that at the end of the day I could see what I'd done. Sometimes since, I've worked for weeks or months without anything indicating I've made a difference. I guess that's one of the things I like about photography as well, visible results.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Too bad -and it's getting worse in time- t'looks like the more tangible the outcome, the less palpable the income is.
Interesting times... (i guess)

Tim your last series indeed is an invitation to outdoor work. :)

And Lloyd, great shot of Da Boss. ;)
(btw he's the spitting image of the Spike character)

m_driscoll

These are georgeous, Steve.
You're indeed a master at this type of processing, and the last portrait is especially outstanding.

Though being well aware that you and a other contributors more here are die hard Leica fans, one can't help but thinking that with this kind of lens and the appropriate PP, beside the form factor the whole thing plays easily into often-considered-as-exclusive black and white, red dot territory (and more on some aspects). And this also goes for some other examples from Matt, Lloyd etc.... once again, if proof needed, in most instances it's all about the photographer.
Another great addition to your series anyway :thumbup:
Steve: +1. Love these noir shots. I agree with Corlan, the camera is less of a factor then the photographer. Your photography is always eclectic and very good (probably not so much if you were shooting with a Canon).

Lloyd, Steve, Matt, Corlan, thank you all for your kind words.

And Steve, your black and white work is sparkling as usual.

I'd better pick something colorful, here's a Where's Wally type thing :)
Steen: It took me a moment to figure out that Wally was a boat! Lots to look at. Both are fun images.

Meet my friend's dog, Roxy... make no mistake, she rules da 'hood, for sure.
Lloyd: Good looking dog. Your portrait skills appear to work for all species.

The logging saga continues. The band saw blade on the woodmill has been removed and is being sharpened to start fresh on this 24 footer tomorrow.
Tim: Nice photos. I'm envious. A break doing something like you're doing ought to be a required sabbatical for office types like myself. I became an Architect, so, i could stay out of the rain, but still realize something physical. That's also, as Lloyd pointed out, why photography is attractive. But, you still miss the purity of work you describe.

Sorry, long post. Lots of great photos and comments. Thanks for sharing. Cheers,

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Foxy lady, Roxy ! Excellent portrait, Lloyd.

Timberman Smith, love the lightings and colors in the woodmill !

shtarka1

Steve: +1. Love these noir shots. I agree with Corlan, the camera is less of a factor then the photographer. Your photography is always eclectic and very good (probably not so much if you were shooting with a Canon).

Appreciate it Matt! LOL!!!:thumbup: Perfect place to quietly study!:D Nice pair!

TR, Great Color & Comp!

Lloyd

Thanks Corlan, Osman, Matt and Steen. Roxy told me to post that... or else!!:eek:

Great shots Matt. Nicely seen.

I used to study (well, tried to study) between innings at the Mariner's games at the old Kingdome. (back then we sat out in the $2.00 seats in left field and cheered for what ever team they happened to be playing, the Mariners were so bad back then. I was there the day current Boston Celtics GM, Danny Ainge, hit one of his two career homers... a line drive, which just cleared fence in left. Ironically, my younger brother was at the game in Oakland when he hit his only other home run.) I managed to pass my classes that year, so I guess one can study anywhere, eh?

Lloyd

Stunner, Lloyd!

Danny Ainge hitting homers! I was just a child! Well maybe an old child!:D
Thanks Steve. Yeah, 1979... you were an adolescent pup by then, I'm thinking. Story was that Red Auerbach followed Danny around waving a checkbook and shouting, "Just tell me how much you want!" Finally won him over, I guess. Truth be told, if the Blue Jays would have played Ainge in centerfield, instead of third base, I suspect he would have stayed in baseball.

shtarka1

Thanks Steve. Yeah, 1979... you were an adolescent pup by then, I'm thinking. Story was that Red Auerbach followed Danny around waving a checkbook and shouting, "Just tell me how much you want!" Finally won him over, I guess. Truth be told, if the Blue Jays would have played Ainge in centerfield, instead of third base, I suspect he would have stayed in baseball.
Senior in H.S.! Those were some Great years for Celtic B.B. He was known outside of Boston as a dirty player but we just called him a scrappy hustler!
I miss those days.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
One from the archives.

I like it, Lloyd. Beautiful !
Here's an add-on from another archive, a wide open wide angle close up September rose.

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AI-S 2.8/28mm • 1/2500 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Nice flowers guys! Reminds me that i took a couple last week when we had that 10-minute period of sunshine...

Actual size is barely half an inch, natural light, no crop:

Same beast, different shot, no crop.
Light was already vanishing, did not see the sun since then :(

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Going through older photos and found these that I hadn't done anything with. (Maybe over-sharpened?) Thanks for looking. Cheers.
Matt, nice catch.
The second one is a super cool "situation piece", yet for some reason i just love the first one. Composition, great tints, variety of textures. A favourite.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I agree, excellent catch, Matt.
And also a bit scary. In some way the boy seems too young to be so 'old' (tough).

Corlan, those rose shots are 'wow' !

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Steen
(hey we lost your avatar?)

Btw re Matt's photo, i thought it was.. a girl. Guess it's not easy to determine at first sight :)