The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Some truly amazing photos lately! I don't have time to go through individually, but I must say I am very impressed with all of them.

Jorgen -- it's great to hear that things are going better, and I think that meal will really help! Where does one find sursild and gravlaks in Thailand?? Interesting too, as in icelandic súr means sour (or pickled), not smoked...that's reyktur. They have súrhvalur (pickled whale), and some other súr things that I avoid like the plague.
It was too early in the morning. Sursild is indeed pickled herring. It's the salmon (laks) that is smoked ("gravet" in this case, but can also be "røket", which is the more ordinary type). Icelandic is very similar to the language that was spoken in Norway, Denmark and Sweden a thousand years ago. Since then, the Scandinavian languages have been influenced by continental languages, in particular German and French, and by English the last 100 or so years.

We mostly get pickled herring from Scandinavian friends visiting, but there are a couple of Danish restaurants that make their own, and one chain of supermarket that sells it as well. With the large international community here, you can get more or less any kind of food, and I doubt that you would find any place in the world with a bigger selection of reasonably priced, high quality restaurants with food from any corner of the world than in Pattaya. It's really a food enthusiast's heaven.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Yes, I'm still around, and so is my father. Most of my time disappears into thin air though, so taking photos has come to a brutal halt. Yesterday, I decided to start bringing in food to the hospital for my father, since what they serve there is mostly unhealthy as well as inedible. So now, he gets Norwegian breakfast, Thai lunch and dinner from one of his favourite restaurants. Here's from today's dinner:
Great news!

And you know how the old french saying goes : "Quand l'apetit va, tout va".
(when appetite's fine, everything's fine)

So looking at your photo and reading your text is quite heart warming. :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Opinions between the generations differ, including what building surfaces should look like.

We try not to inhibit our children :lecture: ... but couldn't they at least write YMMV or something ?

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

click for larger size (4.8 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/50mm G • 1/640 sec. at f/4 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Stuart Richardson

I know how you feel Steen -- I have very mixed feelings about graffiti. I recognize that it can be a really artistic medium for certain people, but it is also in its nature very destructive and disrespectful of other people's property. The very elaborate work can be interesting, but just general tagging where they just scrawl a name seems to me to be the human equivalent of a dog peeing on a fire-hydrant.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Exactly Stuart, and I bet these so-called humans do that as well :rolleyes:

Gosh, I am really getting old and grumpy ... :eek:

What I need to do is to make myself a New Years Resolution about getting young and irresponsible again :cool:

A detail from the same building

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/50mm G • 1/320 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice series, with subtle colors and textures.
The level of details in the second one is impresive again -as the recently posted decorated boat. Did you use a tripod?
Thanks Corlan.
Handheld, no tripod. I guess I just shortly had a steady moment :)
And the subtle, or not so sparkling, colors due to dark and cloudy weather at the moment. I miss generous light.

Jorgen, nice White Money Secrets :thumbup:

shtarka1

Steen, wonderful color displayed! Art & Controversey...How Shocking!:rolleyes:

Jorgen..Such Beautiful framing & IQ! Nice job.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Steve.
Your Boston, Chinese New Year Images are all excellent, maybe # 3 being my favorite here.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Great stuff again, Steve.
My vote goes for #3, then #7.

On a sidenote, for once i kinda regret the shallow DOF on the first one. IMHO f8 (sorry Jorgen, 7.1 :D) would suit the situation just fine here.

(and yes, i do need a 200mm back in the kit) :eek: