The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Lloyd

This morning's practice at the Olympic Oval in Salt Lake City. These folks are members of the US Short Track Team.

The lighting was terrible!! At ISO 2500, I was lucky to get 1/500th once in a while. I just got lucky on a few shots, hitting just the right moment to freeze some of the action.

D3, 70-200 VRII @ 2.8. First two at ISO 1600 and 1/320; last one at ISO 2500 and 1/500:

Lloyd

Lloyd: Definitely awesome! The color's terrific. The third's my favorite, by a skate length, because of the OOF skaters in the background.

Cheers, Matt
Thanks Matt. That's actually my favorite as well. BTW, thanks for link to Brad Hill's website and blog. Awesome stuff... and that story about the black wolf, wow!

m_driscoll

Lloyd: You're welcome. The black wolf story is pretty cool.

Here's a few more bear shots from my trip with Brad Hill to the Khutzeymateen. These are shots that I'm finding as i go through my 10,000 images from that trip. I need to take the Nikon out this weekend for something new! Thanks for looking. Cheers.

1. D3; 500mm f/4; 1/800s @ f/4; ISO 1000

2. D3; 500mm f/4; 1/800s @ f/4; ISO 1250

3. D3; 500mm f/4; 1/500s @ f/5; ISO 800

4. D3; 500mm f/4; 1/800s @ f/5; ISO 1250

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Love them, Matt.
The last one is completely priceless ... who is inside the bear to the left :D

otumay

Lloyd, technical advances like those in high ISO performance and vibration control become more meaningful in masterful shots like those you've just posted. Who would have thought these would be possible a few years ago? Definitely not me. Much appreciated.

Matt, I'm a fan of your nature shots as well. But these are different: I've yet see a shot that carries that much sentiment as your shots. Thank you for sharing them.

I think I'm going to sue GetDPI.com for diminishing my productivity at the office; I increasingly find myself marveling at the beautiful shots posted in these forums.:mad:

Matt... just freakin' WOW! Is that with a straight 500 or did you also have a tele with that?

Hmm... something new. St. Patrick's day parties here on the Northside of Chicago. Maybe I'll head out late and get stoopid drunk people making bad choices pictures??

Lloyd

Lloyd, technical advances like those in high ISO performance and vibration control become more meaningful in masterful shots like those you've just posted. Who would have thought these would be possible a few years ago? Definitely not me. Much appreciated.
You're welcome, my friend. And, you're exactly right. This is where the new technology really shines. I couldn't have imagined shooting in those conditions (which are not at all apparent in the image) with film, or with digital even just a few years ago. It is amazing.

shtarka1

Matt, I could sit through all 10 thousand of your images! The Best! If you ever do a book, i'll pre-pay for the 1st signed copy!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
You're welcome, my friend. And, you're exactly right. This is where the new technology really shines. I couldn't have imagined shooting in those conditions (which are not at all apparent in the image) with film, or with digital even just a few years ago. It is amazing.
That's indeed a huge step beyond.
Nice images.

And Lloyd, i missed your music hall series on the last page -probably browsing too fast when returning on the thread after some time away. Or maybe i got carried away bu Steen's artsy whimsy mood :)

Those look great, all of them. There's some humanity and compassion in there, can't really define it but the photos conveys the feeling.

The lighthearted moment being my favourite. Nice catch.

(and agreed, the acoustics there are extremely good, if not unsurpassed)