The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Taken a few minutes before, before setting up for the shoot, opposite direction.
Good one, Corlan.

Priorities are difficult. There's always the hunt for perfection, and sometimes priorities colide. How two have to good dinners the same evening, and take perfect photos of a somewhat reluctant subject in terrible lighting with a too slow camera and a junky old 85mm? Then, of course, I end up with a photo that is partly out of focus, partly too grainy and partly has motion blur, only to discover that perfection may be just that; an imperfect photo :)

Matt,
She was eating. One doesn't take photos of Thai women eating. One waits for them to apply some make-up and find a "natural" (all but, but never mind) pose, count to three and then take the photo. After several hours of retouching, skin-whitening etc., the photo is ready for publishing, and her friends and her mother will all go "Ooooh, Aaaah".

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Agreed, the second one is definitely more technically controlled.
To answer your question, well no time to think at the time, what struck me then was the mere contrast between the two groups of three' look and looks which sufficed to make me smile :)

A nearby chocolate shop was showcasing a colorful selection of treats to help dealing with this year's endless winter:

and yes, i brought some back home :eek:
Corlan: I missed that connection the first time. I see it now. Very colorful detail at the chocolate shop. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A nearby chocolate shop was showcasing a colorful selection of treats to help dealing with this year's endless winter:

Corlan,
Nice photo, but there should be some kind of warning attached: Not suitable for chokoholics!

The summer has started here btw. Around 35 degrees C every day. You want some?

Lloyd

Corlan,
Nice photo, but there should be some kind of warning attached: Not suitable for chokoholics!

The summer has started here btw. Around 35 degrees C every day. You want some?
Definitely not Spring here yet, several inches of snow today, and still coming down. I do, however, agree with Jorgen's concern about a warning!!

Lloyd

Corlan, Beautiful!

==

My Bike

Giant Trance X0

--
Nice bike... and nice pix. I especially like the shadow, and the one of the man and the child on the bikes... great light in that one! Looks like everyone was having fun on wheels in these, however. I did about three hours on my bike this morning before the snow started. :thumbup:

m_driscoll

Re: A PP Critique desired

This photo was processed up to a point (Lightroom 2, Nik Define 2.0, and Nik Sharpener 3.0) and then copied and the final processing was done in two different ways. The first was pp'd in Nik Color Efex Pro and the second in Lightzone (pushed towards "HDR"). Any thoughts on which one's better? Thanks for looking and commenting. Cheers, Matt.

D3; 200mm f/2; 1/500s @ f/4; +1 EV; ISO 1600

M

mikoo

Nice bike... and nice pix. I especially like the shadow, and the one of the man and the child on the bikes... great light in that one! Looks like everyone was having fun on wheels in these, however. I did about three hours on my bike this morning before the snow started. :thumbup:
Thanks Lloyd. :thumbup:

Mikoo, that's a downhill. Bike, yes?

Love the shot of the Guy running in a gee.
Yes its a downhill bike and it can go up hill too. :D

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/1288/29373/

shtarka1

Corlan...Like the crop,subject matter & dof! Very nicely done!
And just plain cute... my girls

The Cutest! Great B&W Poker set 2!

This photo was processed up to a point (Lightroom 2, Nik Define 2.0, and Nik Sharpener 3.0) and then copied and the final processing was done in two different ways. The first was pp'd in Nik Color Efex Pro and the second in Lightzone (pushed towards "HDR"). Any thoughts on which one's better? Thanks for looking and commenting. Cheers, Matt.

Loving the first one Matt!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Take a closer look Jason. He's not running, he's levitating! :D
Keen observation indeed :toocool:
And nice series Mikoo, as some others my next favorite is the bike & shadow.

Thanks all for the kind comments -even though i'm not fooled and quite aware that using chocolate as a subject is a major form of expediency when it comes to benevolent feedback :D

Any thoughts on which one's better? Thanks for looking and commenting. Cheers, Matt.
Matt- personal taste i like the soft, more atmospheric rendering of the first one significantly better. Shades of green look more natural here (esp. foreground), so is the fog's texture and cast.

That said, the second version with its extra sharpened zones have some merits. Printing output for display then viewing from a greater distance comes into mind.

I would still distribute the sharpened zones less in the front, for the more progressive approach in the first image posted will allow the beholder to dive into the main subject (fog with emerging trees) in a smoother way.

And in all instances, for this very reason i would try and "heal" (more probably using multi clones) the leafless section in the lower right, possibly blocking the way you want the image to be "read".

In one word, beside the last relatively incidental point, i'd use the first version.
Though depending of the intended use (typically large print or distant display) some of the extra sharpening present in the second version might be incorporated -but only selectively on some tress and not on the foreground, and leaving the fog alone in this regard, too.

My 1/50th :)

Last edited:

Lloyd

I also prefer the first. The clouds look more natural (and more white) to my eye. Also, the green in the left-hand foreground appears more natural to me.

m_driscoll

Corlan...Like the crop,subject matter & dof! Very nicely done!

The Cutest! Great B&W Poker set 2!
Loving the first one Matt!
Keen observation indeed :toocool:
And nice series Mikoo, as some others my next favorite is the bike & shadow.
Thanks all for the kind comments -even though i'm not fooled and quite aware that using chocolate as a subject is a major form of expediency when it comes to benevolent feedback :D

Matt- personal taste i like the soft, more atmospheric rendering of the first one significantly better. Shades of green look more natural here (esp. foreground), so is the fog's texture and cast.

That said, the second version with its extra sharpened zones have some merits. Printing output for display then viewing from a greater distance comes into mind.

I would still distribute the sharpened zones less in the front, for the more progressive approach in the first image posted will allow the beholder to dive into the main subject (fog with emerging trees) in a smoother way.

And in all instances, for this very reason i would try and "heal" (more probably using multi clones) the leafless section in the lower right, possibly blocking the way you want the image to be "read".

In one word, beside the last relatively incidental point, i'd use the first version.
Though depending of the intended use (typically large print or distant display) some of the extra sharpening present in the second version might be incorporated -but only selectively on some tress and not on the foreground, and leaving the fog alone in this regard, too.
I also prefer the first. The clouds look more natural (and more white) to my eye. Also, the green in the left-hand foreground appears more natural to me.
Completely agree with Lloyd.
Osman
Everybody: Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I agree that the first one is better. I have trouble with processing this kind of photo and maintaining the sense of clouds/fog and depth. Too much color and contrast and it's gone. There were some cloud/fog shots in the Leica M forum a week, or so, ago that were stellar. Corlan: good comment about the leafless section.

Thanks again. Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Here's two more. I took the first photo into Nik Viveza 2 and desaturated the tree trunks to remove the purple. They still look tinted on my MacBook Pro and they didn't on the MacPro! Screen calibration? Cheers, Matt.

1. D3; 200mm f/2; 1/200s @ f/4; ISO 1600

2. D3; 200mm f/2; 1/250s @ f/4.5; ISO 320