The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Lloyd.

Btw, just saw your last Rust & Graffitis series on the M section, looks terrific.
Great stuff from Steve and Matt too, you guys do achieve a superb job with both systems.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you Steve, David and Matt.

David: Excellent studio work, the shot of the young lady.

Fulton: You really caught a dramatic moment.

Jorgen: Fascinating portrait of concentration.

Corlan: Love the impressive building shot and the terracotta girl

carstenw

Thanks guys

Different light. The scooter was taken in direct sunlight just before noon, but all the spray reflects the light too, evening things out a bit. The 70-300 ED, at least my copy, up to around 180mm and stopped down to around f/7.1 is rather sharp and gives very punchy colours in direct sunlight. Apart from that, it's a rather mediocre lens, and beyond 200mm, it really disagrees with the Fuji sensor, which is one of the reasons why I mostly use it with the D80.
Do you mean the "Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR"? (What is up with these names anyway?)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Do you mean the "Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR"? (What is up with these names anyway?)
No, it's the older ED model. The new with AF-S and VR is a much better lens, particularly at longer focal lengths. There's also an older G-model, non-ED, which isn't really useable for critical work at all, but that one is really cheap.

It must be said also that the Fuji sensor is very picky when it comes to lenses. I mostly use that camera with primes and very high quality zooms, like the 80-200 AF-S.

carstenw

Okay, whew, since I am considering the 70-300 VR as a stop-gap long lens until I can save some money for something more serious (and until I know exactly what I need).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Okay, whew, since I am considering the 70-300 VR as a stop-gap long lens until I can save some money for something more serious (and until I know exactly what I need).
One alternative would be to find a used 180mm f/2.8. Older technology and less flexibility, but it's fantastic value for money and the size is more or less the same as the 70-300 VR. Works fine with a TC too. If you buy second hand, you should even be able to get a used 85mm f/1.8 in addition to the 180 and without exploding the budget, or the rather good Samyang 85mm f/1.4 new, but that's manual focus.

Which camera are you buying?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the kind comments, Steve, Jorgen and Jason.
Indeed an interesting day light wise -and a lot to shoot within very little distance.

Two last shots of that afternoon:

Despite the cold weather we had some signs of the upcoming spring...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Probably unrelated, but some seemed really stonned... er, stunned :D

© note to (non-getdpi) visitors: this last one's copyrighted & digimarked for all intent and purposes - please do not use including web - thanks :)

carstenw

Steen, are those art gallery shots (great shots, by the way!) from Louisiana? I love that place, and used to go there at least once a year when I was still living in Denmark. I still go there often when I visit my family. Funny though, I don't recall seeing any *female* Giacometti statues there?

Jorgen, two non-photo-related questions: 1) is your name really Jørgen, apart from the fact that it seems to be Thor, and 2) are you Danish or Norwegian? Some comments you have made had me in doubt. I *love* your photography, by the way. Your photos have a real unique look to them, and I instantly see when the shots are yours (the nice frame apart, which by the way, I intend to learn from :) It really helps the presentation, I feel). Tight framing and punchy but not exaggerated colours are a trademark.

Mikoo, I hope you don't mind, but I changed one of your shots a little :)

View attachment 29047

Last edited:

carstenw

One alternative would be to find a used 180mm f/2.8. Older technology and less flexibility, but it's fantastic value for money and the size is more or less the same as the 70-300 VR. Works fine with a TC too. If you buy second hand, you should even be able to get a used 85mm f/1.8 in addition to the 180 and without exploding the budget, or the rather good Samyang 85mm f/1.4 new, but that's manual focus.

Which camera are you buying?
I have bought a new D3, for €3200. Not the cheapest I could find, but I thought rather than paying €2000 for a beater, or €2500 for a camera with a scratch or two, or €2900 for a perfect but used copy, I would just buy new. I thought about a D700, but I want a couple of the D3 features; I also thought about a D3s, but I couldn't find the extra money; I thought about a D3x but my wallet shrieked in pain.

I have traded my MFDB (which I sadly wasn't using, having rediscovered the joy of MF film) for a ZF 21 (and a grip and an extra film back for my Contax 645), and wallop of cash, which I pumped into the D3 and a 105/2.5 AI-S in near-perfect condition. I will likely also get the 24-70 for action (read: my daughter, who by now is too fast for my M8), and I am thinking about a 14-24 (but I won't keep the ZF 21 and get that; I have to choose) and a 70-200VRII, as well as a 300/4VR with 1.4 TC. I also think about the 50/2 ZF.2 or 100/2 ZF.2.

I can't have all of that at once; not enough money. For now I have the ZF 21 and 105/2.5, and will likely add the 24-70 and stop there for now. The 300/4VR might be the next lens, since it is relatively affordable, and we are considering a zoo yearly membership for the family :)

My D3 should be here next week. Soon after that I will post my first shots.