The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: Politicians

Lovely idea Jørgen.
Only one flaw; you've included the words "politician" and "heart" in the same sentence.
They smile though, all the way to the bank.

Hmm, I'd better get back to photography, here's a real smile from the heart:

D700 500mm Nikkor 1/2000 at f/8 ISO 800
Lovely photo :thumbup:

Most people seems to be a bit pesimistic about the smiling capabilities of politicians, so I think I'll concentrate on smiling singers instead. They are prettier anyway :D

otumay

Matt, these are spectacular shots. I always end up with excessive vignetting when I use the 85/1.4 fully open. That doesn't seem to be the case here.
Osman

m_driscoll

Osman/Steve: Thanks.

Tim: It's a nice photgraph and i can see how you can obsess and spend that much time on it.

Corlan: The daisy shots are great. The eccentric composition and the simple , vibrant, colors really make them pop.

Jorgen: "Sweet Music" is another beautiful photo. The Fuji S5 really works for you. I don't think, i ever even seen one. You should have a spare.

Michael: Very nice image with the big lens. i like the way the adult's foot stretches out and creates a strong diagonal with the boy at the other end. The background softly fades OOF. Nicely captured.

I tend to work photos a lot when I should give up and move on (see Seattle citiscape posted earlier). I try to get it "right" in the camera; but, sometimes that doesn't work, or I have a different processing in mind that I think will strengthen the photo (sort of like distilling the essence that Tim describes). I can't say, for instance, that i always know that a shot is going to end up in B & W.

An example is the first photo that i posted above. When i took it, i knew that the only way, I'd get the result that i wanted was in post. That's five exposures created in Lightroom 2 as virtual copies (0, +2, +4, -2, & -4) and then combined in LR/Enfuse. My normal process is four steps, like Corlan's, except in Lightroom 2 and Nik software (occasionally into CS4 or Lightzone). Less is generally more; but, that still doesn't stop me from processing some images into the ground.

Here's the B&W version of the restaurant/ferry boat shot. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The one with the two girls is great, Matt. The others too, but particularly that one.

Now I really need to consider another S5. The shutter of the D80 gave up today. The repair guy will see if he can fix it, but if he can't, the camera is probably dead. It has way beyond 50,000 clicks on its clock, and a new shutter assembly is not worth it. D90 or a used S5? Time will show.

Lloyd

Here's the B&W version of the restaurant/ferry boat shot. Cheers, Matt
These shots really are spectacular Matt. This one especially for me, and I like it equally well in color or b/w. Your process in post is really interesting. I can think of a few I've done recently that might benefit from that, and I'll have to give it a try.

m_driscoll

Jorgen: Thanks. The two young girls at the fish market; or, the two in the cafe? Do you have an adapter for the S5 that allows the Nikkor lenses?

Lloyd: Thanks. I like it both color and B&W, too. I probably could have got better exposure on the ferry boat; but, it works this way for me. The LR/Enfuse program is shareware. Donate what you want.

Jason: Geez! Just rub it in! Nice work.

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen: Thanks. The two young girls at the fish market; or, the two in the cafe? Do you have an adapter for the S5 that allows the Nikkor lenses?
I was thinking about the two in the cafe.

The S5 is an F-mount body. Basically, it's a Nikon D200 with Fuji sensor and electronics. The S3 was a Nikon F80 (N80) with the same Fuji sensor and an integrated vertical grip.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I did some potraits during an interview yesterday. After a few shots while he was talking with the journalist, I thought I'd try something a bit more formal, and ended up with this one. No flash and a D80 with a shutter that was terminally ill, so only every third click resulted in a photo.

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 38mm and f/2.8

For once, I'll post one that didn't turn out as it should. Unfortunately, he leaned forward just as I was taking the photo, destroying the framing. Still I like it, since it was the most relaxed photo in what was a rather formal setting (a business club at the top of some office building).

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

shtarka1

Alright, alright...

This one better? :D

Smokin!
I did some potraits during an interview yesterday. After a few shots while he was talking with the journalist, I thought I'd try something a bit more formal, and ended up with this one. No flash and a D80 with a shutter that was terminally ill, so only every third click resulted in a photo.

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 38mm and f/2.8

For once, I'll post one that didn't turn out as it should. Unfortunately, he leaned forward just as I was taking the photo, destroying the framing. Still I like it, since it was the most relaxed photo in what was a rather formal setting (a business club at the top of some office building).

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

Fine job Jorgen!