The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Lloyd

Playing around with Lightroom 3 Beta 2. I really like the new import dialog... much improved over the previous Beta. And, I'm LOVING the tethered shooting option!!! Just need to find a longer cord, so I'm not so restricted in movement.

D3, 70-300 VR @ f7.1 ISO 800:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
That's very sweet looking, Lloyd. :thumbup:

Is the interface much different than ACR/CS4 (which i cordially dislike)?
And is this photo entirely processed in LR3? In that case it'd be nice to have an idea of what the original looks like. Really like the result.

Jason: your lightin' is kickin on the coktail shot. :toocool:
But just two olives for me, though. Thanks. :D

Thanks! One of those nights where my wife went out and I didn't, so I figure I would have some fun experimenting. I wanted condensation on the glass, but it didn't happen. Guess I need to keep trying :D

Lloyd, since I don't do studio work, I've never shot tethered. I think I can do that w/ Aperture too. I wondered why they have 20' USB cables. Now I know why. Great shot!

Lloyd

That's very sweet looking, Lloyd. :thumbup:

Is the interface much different than ACR/CS4 (which i cordially dislike)?
And is this photo entirely processed in LR3? In that case it'd be nice to have an idea of what the original looks like. Really like the result.

Jason: your lightin' is kickin on the coktail shot. :toocool:
But just two olives for me, though. Thanks. :D
The interface is somewhat like ACR, but much more flexible and, in my opinion, much more useful. I'd suggest you download the free LR3 Beta 2, and give it a try. Here's the link:http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

Here's the unaltered (other than convert to jpg, resize, and sharpen for web; also done in LR3 Beta 2) version. Yes, I made all the adjustments in Lightroom 3 Beta 2

Lloyd

Thanks! One of those nights where my wife went out and I didn't, so I figure I would have some fun experimenting. I wanted condensation on the glass, but it didn't happen. Guess I need to keep trying :D

Lloyd, since I don't do studio work, I've never shot tethered. I think I can do that w/ Aperture too. I wondered why they have 20' USB cables. Now I know why. Great shot!
I do some studio work, so it's great for that. But it's also great for location shooting as well. I have used Nikon Capture, but was too cheap to get the new upgrade, as I was hoping LR would come out with that option. I was very tempted by Aperture because of that option (Aperture 3).

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Lloyd, useful info.

Btw (i was harboring my suspicions), the original photo might look even better.
Say, as least as good an interpretation.

Very subtle orange tones, and the grey hues in the background are just perfect.

I'll give a try at LR3 next week
For some reason C1 Pro 5 is kinda disappointing with the D3X at least on some category of shots, where fortunately NX2 shines results wise (better than with D700/D3 material)... but these larger files make it slow again even on a computting powerhouse. This piece of software is simply not optimized. Maybe, in time...

Results wise it's definitely good enough, though with the speed issue it makes sense to have a look at some alternatives. Aperture isn't one, ACR/CS4 doesn't have the right profiles or workflow. Maybe LR3 ?

Well.
Again, lovely photo & interpretations. :thumbs:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Oh, regarding shooting Nikons tethered: obviously i don't know anything about the new LR3 beta version, but there's a real good cheap SW (on PCthat i use in studio with impeccable results and seamless workflow: NKRemote.

link http://www.breezesys.com/NKRemote/index.htm

If LR3 feature works as good as NKR, they might have a customer just for that. :)

edit: on second thoughts, looks like the Nikon dedicated version might be only for Windows users, and there'd be an all-purpose verison ("DSLRRemote") for the Mac fellows. Possibly, for once we weendows users would be better off in regard to (photo)graphic SW? Hard to believe...

(yeahhh) :angel:

Last edited:
Lloyd... love the PP. That was all dont in LR3? Nice!

I still haven't splurged on Nik yet. But seeing the conversions a lot of you guys do with it, I'm tempted for sure.

Lloyd

Lloyd... love the PP. That was all dont in LR3? Nice!

I still haven't splurged on Nik yet. But seeing the conversions a lot of you guys do with it, I'm tempted for sure.
Thanks Jason. Love those wildlife shots. Stellar!

Yes, completely in LR3 Beta 2, which I just installed yesterday. (except for the color version, which was straight out of the camera.)

I haven't yet splurged for Nik either, but I am tempted for sure.

m_driscoll

Steve/Lloyd/Osman: Thanks a lot.

Steve: I also have the "old" 300mm f/2.8 VR. I used it a lot on my bear trip with the TC-E1.4. Great lens. I hadn't considered schlepping it around the city! Nice move.

Corlan: Thanks. Not sure that i changed anything in the pp. The photos that I took on that trip vary dramatically in exposure, etc. Occasionally, I got it "right in the camera". I go back and forth with indulging myself with that kind of processing. Lightzone is a very good program. Works quite well with Lightroom and has a broad palette of controls from very subtle to extreme HDR. It's "relight" tool is worth the price.

Jason: It was fashion-week in Northern British Columbia! Three olives- nice photo.

Lloyd: Great B & W shot. Do you use the LR3 Beta just for processing the shot and generating a tiff. It's my understanding you can't go backwards to LR2 with catalogues? Will they be readable when the final LR3 comes out? Too many questions! The color shot has a very understated beauty to it.

Jason: The animal pairs are great. The seal shot is superb. I have a lot of photos of seals sticking their heads out of the water that have no redeeming qualities. That one's exceptional.

The entire Nik suite of software's worth it (IMHO).

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Lloyd: Great B & W shot. Do you use the LR3 Beta just for processing the shot and generating a tiff. It's my understanding you can't go backwards to LR2 with catalogues? Will they be readable when the final LR3 comes out? Too many questions! The color shot has a very understated beauty to it.
Right now I'm just playing around with it. I've processed a couple of shots I thought were worth keeping, and in those cases I did generate a TIFF. However, for now, anything I think is important is processed in one of my regular ways (e.g., LR2, PS4 or C1)

Lloyd

Out being my wife's rolling aid station this evening. While she put in a quick 6 miles, I grabbed a few shots.

D3, 70-300 VR @ 270mm F7.1, ISO400:

D3, 70-300 VR @ 220mm F7.1, ISO400:

D3, 70-300 VR @ 170mm F7.1, ISO800:

D3, 70-300 VR @ 300mm F5.6, ISO400, Chainlink fence: