The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

m_driscoll

And now: The Dessert

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 29mm and f/4.0

These are the colours straight from the Fuji. Shot RAW, but converted with ACR without any adjustments. Lighting was a large, north facing window from her front/right and a bare, 20W bulb (the modelling light of a small strobe) 45 degrees to her left. Auto WB and relatively long exposure at 1/30s. ISO 800.
Jorgen: Another nice shot. You deserve your meals (didn't you say earlier that you were trading your services for theirs?). If google couldn't find it then it's probably a "folk" expression.

Matty, Your A Sick Man! Congrats! What Color Did You Go With?
Steve: I know. Basic black. Bought it used on the Fred Miranda Forum classifieds. I'm thinking of using Fuji Velvia in all of my future photographic efforts. What do you think?

Thanks Steve -btw in a totally different style your last set on the M thread is splendid. IMHO composition wise those are among your best works.

Matt, disregarding the inevitable, significant jpeg loss for the posted image yes i'm quite satisfied with the and transients & DR. With saturated colors like here the combo really shines with a feast of light.

Did i mention though that the sunny minutes were only a small part of our early spring equation? :rolleyes:

Corlan: +1 on what you said about Steve's photos. I have to admit that I tried to figure out what color transients were and ended up with explanations citing algorithms, etc. I'm going to take your word for it. They looked very good. The water drop is also very cool.

Cheers, Matt
http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Don't adjust your monitor! Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt
Very kewl, Matt. I've been toying with the idea of going for that lens. It's moved up on the list... but it's still long list, however.

As for your film question, I like Velvia, but it can be a little over saturated at times, especially when underexposed. I think that Velvia 100F is a little better overall.

I also really like Provia 100F, and think it scans a little better than Velvia. It does sometimes have a color cast, but that can be dealt with in digital post.

Here are a couple of articles you might want to look over:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0803/gt0803-1.html

http://www.dl-c.com/Velvia%20vs%20Provia%20100F/Velvia%20vs%20Provia%20100F.html

m_driscoll

Very kewl, Matt. I've been toying with the idea of going for that lens. It's moved up on the list... but it's still long list, however.

As for your film question, I like Velvia, but it can be a little over saturated at times, especially when underexposed. I think that Velvia 100F is a little better overall.

I also really like Provia 100F, and think it scans a little better than Velvia. It does sometimes have a color cast, but that can be dealt with in digital post.

Here are a couple of articles you might want to look over:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0803/gt0803-1.html

http://www.dl-c.com/Velvia%20vs%20Provia%20100F/Velvia%20vs%20Provia%20100F.html
Lloyd: Thanks. The lens is a bit of a "one trick pony". I'll read the articles. Thanks, again.

Cheers, Matt

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Nice work with this lens, Matt.
I particularly like the second one :thumbup:

(and sorry for the use of "transients", you're right it's probably not the proper photographic term :eek:)

Breaking News: thought we only had plants and flowers on the property, but it appears we have beasts, too :shocked:

"Sun Bath":

"Not a Chameleon":

"Not a flower":

all from D3X & 105VR, basic processing in NX2 using D3X Standard camera profile settings - no extra sharpening

m_driscoll

Matt, Love the BW treatment. In this case I do like the widdddeee perspective.

#2 is awesome.

Well done sir.
rayyan: Thank you very much.

Matt....Outstanding Work! Love Em!
Steve: Thank you too.

Nice work with this lens, Matt.
I particularly like the second one :thumbup:

(and sorry for the use of "transients", you're right it's probably not the proper photographic term :eek:)

Breaking News: thought we only had plants and flowers on the property, but it appears we have beasts, too :shocked:

"Sun Bath":

Corlan: Thanks. Still trying to figure out "color transience". Transient implies a temporal, fleeting, relationship. It's a chemical, electrical, mathematical, and physics term. I'm sure there is an application in photography. I'll have to ask my daughter, the Physicist.

My wife liked this image. I liked all three. Lady bugs can be viciious, don't get too close.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Hey everyone! Have some catching up to do here!

Just a quick one from my shoot tonight... CBOT and the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank

More to come tomorrow!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Reds have taken to the streets of Bangkok again, trying to force the prime minister to resign. He won't of course, but it's serious enough for a state of emergency in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces declared tonight, after the parliament was attacked.

Yesterday, the Reds were touring the streets of Bangkok in their vehicles. As serious as the situation is, it isn't without a certain entertainment value, at least from a photographic point of view.

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 135mm and f/8

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 105mm and f/8

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 220mm and f/8

Last edited:
Jørgen.. just read about the State of Emergency. Have fun shooting, cause it does look entertaining, but hope it stays safe for you!

Corlan, nice "wildlife" shots! Maybe one day when Matt grows a pair, he can get some macro shots of his bears! :D

Matt, that 16mm fish is great! I think there's a 9 also, and I'm not thinking of the DX version. It looks like you have a coffee mug attached to the front of your camera. There was one for sale at Calumet that I contemplated. Way cool and fun.

You call that a camera, mate? Now THAT'S is a camera!

Was down in St. Louis with my wife's family. My brother in law's got a couple large format camera's so we grabbed his SINAR kit and went down the flooding Mississippi River and took some pictures, then developed the negatives. Ahhh... the good ol days!

Fly By

and our intended target mimicking what we looking for out of the SINAR

Last edited:

shtarka1

The Reds have taken to the streets of Bangkok again, trying to force the prime minister to resign. He won't of course, but it's serious enough for a state of emergency in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces declared tonight, after the parliament was attacked.

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 220mm and f/8

Great set Jorgen! This One Is My Favorite!