The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

carstenw

First pics from my D3

Well, it is time I posted some images. I have not been out with the D3 that much yet, and have mostly done some test shots, but one area where I have pushed the camera a bit is with my daughter, so I have chosen four shots I have done of her which I am pleased with.

This is also a test of my new frame, courtesy of stealing the idea from Jørgen, and of the great little plugin Mogrify for Lightroom. I will use this frame for all forum posts from now on. I find that a good frame adds a lot compared to unframed shots.

The first three shots are with the 105mm f/2.5 AI-S, a really nice little lens, but a bit hard to focus exactly wide open. The last one is with my 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-S, which I managed to pick up for €320 used in basically perfect shape.

The crop on the third shot is a bit of an experiment, what with the unusual 2:1 ratio and the subject in the middle, but somehow I find that it works (and it gets rid of some messy stuff just above the crop).

Comments and critique appreciated.

View attachment 29950

View attachment 29951

View attachment 29952

View attachment 29953

Lloyd

Re: First pics from my D3

Well, it is time I posted some images. I have not been out with the D3 that much yet, and have mostly done some test shots, but one area where I have pushed the camera a bit is with my daughter, so I have chosen four shots I have done of her which I am pleased with.

This is also a test of my new frame, courtesy of stealing the idea from Jørgen, and of the great little plugin Mogrify for Lightroom. I will use this frame for all forum posts from now on. I find that a good frame adds a lot compared to unframed shots.

The first three shots are with the 105mm f/2.5 AI-S, a really nice little lens, but a bit hard to focus exactly wide open. The last one is with my 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-S, which I managed to pick up for €320 used in basically perfect shape.

The crop on the third shot is a bit of an experiment, what with the unusual 2:1 ratio and the subject in the middle, but somehow I find that it works (and it gets rid of some messy stuff just above the crop).

Very nice, Carsten. I like the frame too. Looking forward to more.

Lloyd

Don't know why this one disappeared earlier. I can still see it, but here it is again.

D3, 300/2.8 @ 2.8, ISO 2000

m_driscoll

Re: First pics from my D3

Carsten: Adorable daughter. Good moments well captured and stored. I like your new frame and the linear crop on the third one. The scoop loader's awesome! i wish I had one like that when i was a kid. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Carsten, the first one is mega cute. Does it need a tiny bit of sharpening?

It would also have been interesting to see a focus shift to the mirror image.

carstenw

Thanks Lloyd, Matt and Jørgen!

Matt, the scoop loader/tractor is not hers, but is just standing in the backyard where we live. Our houses, unusually for Berlin, don't have a second row of houses behind, but just a large open area with a couple of private playgrounds.

View attachment 29965

Although she looks quite expert on the photo, she has no clue how to operate it, and it is kinda broken in any case, so she just jiggles the controls. Here she is checking out how the front loader moves when she jiggles the right knob :)

Jørgen, yes, that first one could be sharpened a little, and maybe some of the others too. I am trying to use an all-Lightroom workflow, and to stop fretting about post-processing too much, to give myself more time and mind to go out shooting, so I haven't sat down and figured out how much sharpening to do with the D3 on export yet. I will probably do that when I get LR3 (or Aperture 3; I might switch). I do have a second shot with her mirror image in focus, but it isn't as nice. They might make a nice diptych though...

Last edited:

Paratom

Carsten,
I really like those specially since they all look very natural.

I would be interested how you like the DSLR experience so far?

I have to admit that after getting the D700 I now use DSLR much more than before and I have re-experienced the things one can do with a fast AF and beeing flexible with higher ISO.

Not saying I dont like my Leica M and MF gear, but right now I am in a phase of using more DSLR.

carstenw

Thanks Tom and Steve!

Tom, your D700+70-200VRII kit weighs 500g more than my D3+70-300 kit :) Great shots of your daughter!

I find the D3 to be a fantastic camera, and it is good for just the things I need, i.e. AF speed, fps, high ISO and bracketing. I do find that I get lazy with it, almost as if my feet stop working, compared to using my M8, though, so I have to force myself to move around to find the best spot.

Today I went for a walk in the forest, and ended up spending two hours shooting some kids going downhill on their bikes, on a track they have built. The D3 never skipped a beat, and the failed shots were all my fault, i.e. bad framing, poor choice of ISO/shutter speed,etc.

I thought long and hard about getting the D3x instead, but apart from money, it just doesn't have the same attributes that make the D3 such an awesome camera for me. The only thing I would replace it with at this point would be a D3s, or a D4 :)

Paratom

Hi Carsten,
I know I wanted to get smaller in size and then made the fault and tried the 70-200VR and just like that lens so much that I carry it quite often.
Anyways I still really like the D700 and feel more compfortable with its size - however one thing I really liked better about the D3 is the 100% viewfinder.
With the slightly smaller viewfinder f the D700 I smetimes loose some pixels because I crop more afterwards.
Cheers,Tom

m_driscoll

Thanks Lloyd, Matt and Jørgen!

Matt, the scoop loader/tractor is not hers, but is just standing in the backyard where we live. Our houses, unusually for Berlin, don't have a second row of houses behind, but just a large open area with a couple of private playgrounds.

Although she looks quite expert on the photo, she has no clue how to operate it, and it is kinda broken in any case, so she just jiggles the controls. Here she is checking out how the front loader moves when she jiggles the right knob :)
Carsten: Nice aerial. She fooled me. Looked like an expert.

Three with the D700 and 70-200VRII:
Tom: Great images. PP is terrific and the expressions are priceless. Love this first one. I know what you mean about DSL and rangefinder. I go back and forth. The 70-200 VR is such a great lens; it's worth carrying around. Right now, I'm in an M7 phase.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

JohnH

Now for something different

D2X, 70-200mm at 200mm. f3.5, 1/30, 100 ISO.

Shot - so to speak - in a reptile park just north of Mackay, in Qld. I think it is a blue tongue lizard. [I should know - I think I have been away from Aus for too long...]

Heavy contrast etc to add some atmosphere.

Cheers,

John

Paratom

Re: Now for something different

D2X, 70-200mm at 200mm. f3.5, 1/30, 100 ISO.

Shot - so to speak - in a reptile park just north of Mackay, in Qld. I think it is a blue tongue lizard. [I should know - I think I have been away from Aus for too long...]

Heavy contrast etc to add some atmosphere.

Cheers,

John
John, on my screen it turns out pretty dark.