Site Sponsors

Thread: difficult to tune the nikon raw file in Lightroom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

difficult to tune the nikon raw file in Lightroom

I found it very difficult to get a satisfactory result in Lightroom everytime when doing with the nikon raw file. Never get a similar color tone expecially for people's skin tone when compared with the jpg file.

This picture was taken in raw and pp in Lightroom. The place is Lawry's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: difficult to tune the nikon raw file in Lightroom

FWIW, I've completely abandoned LR for my Nikon RAW files and switched to C1 Pro. I tried it on a whim and went back through old Nikon shots I had done previously in LR. A lot of the files I had hoped would work in LR (and dismissed as "misses") now looked a lot better in C1. I like the catalog feature in LR but now, with the exception of a small Pentax underwater cam I use for jpeg-only shots, Leica and Nikon go through C1.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: difficult to tune the nikon raw file in Lightroom

Quote Originally Posted by MHC View Post
    I found it very difficult to get a satisfactory result in Lightroom everytime when doing with the nikon raw file. Never get a similar color tone expecially for people's skin tone when compared with the jpg file.

This picture was taken in raw and pp in Lightroom. The place is Lawry's.

While you might get a better answer from C1 or Nx2 this seems easier to solve. Unless you import with auto white balance(not recommended) these are the color settings that were determined by the camera. LR will affect how color is rendered ..but this will be seen in shades and saturation not so much in temp and hue.

This file has two issues ....one....its much too warm and two...the face looks under exposed. If this is a high iso file under exposure is a killer .

The color temp can be adjusted easily in LR but if its underexposed then it will be difficult to correct the face.

Comparisons to Jpegs will not help much...I would work first on getting it close in the camera and then on the LR settings. When we kick around using C1 or Nx2 its about solving specific problems and getting the last 10% out of a file .

Just my POV others may have better thoughts.