The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 70-200 2.8 rumored for tomorrow...(30 Jul 09)

Arne Hvaring

The specs quoted seem reasonable enough. It is a predictable upgrade given the well known problems at the long end of the current lens.
Now if Nikon had the good sense to bring out a f4 70-200 like the excellent Canon zoom, I'd be much more tempted to buy. Dragging around these heavy lenses isn't everybody's cup of tea.
And we are still waiting for those fast WA lenses... Nikon sure has a lot of ground to cover.

Terry

After being out for 12 days with Canon and Nikon long lens shooters, I think Nikon still needs to come out with an f4 version.

fultonpics

well, if you put it on a D3, you might as well get the stop. btw, the new one is actually heavier (albeit shorter) than the current one!

fotografz

This is a must have lens for me. F/4 is turtle slow when shooting wedding work ... even f/2.8 can be problematic at times on a D3 @ ISO 1600 due to subject movement. Not thrilled about the price tag.

But I love the newer 14-24 and 24-70, so this lens would complete the zoom kit. Nikon has delivered the one zoom lens gap in my wedding kit (the older one I had and sold just didn't cut it optically compared to the newer lenses)

Now a couple of new or re-formulated primes (35/1.4 and 85/1.4) with Nano coatings, AFS and ED elements and I'm a happy camper.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
i will be tempted once it hits the market. but moving my 70-200 VR won't be easy.
If you expect to sell at $1600 then you're going to be out of luck. With the new lens coming in at $2400 there will be plenty of buyers out there for the original lens at the right price ...

Jeff Turner

If you expect to sell at $1600 then you're going to be out of luck. With the new lens coming in at $2400 there will be plenty of buyers out there for the original lens at the right price ...
Hmmmmmm....just put mine on eBay with no reserve and no minimum and I got $1641 just this week.

fotografz

Hmmmmmm....just put mine on eBay with no reserve and no minimum and I got $1641 just this week.
Good timing. This week may be a different story. Of course, $1,600 still sounds a lot better than $2,400.

Frankly, these prices are getting ridiclous. :eek:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, that's fine TODAY (announce day + 1) but if the intention is to pick up the new lens then you're out of a 70-200 VR until November. :confused: I'll wager that eBay prices will drop as more hit the market in anticipation of the new lens - let's see what average selling prices are next month.

I ordered mine yesterday but I'm not going to off load my current lens for the sake of a few extra $$ and do without it for 3-4 months. That makes no sense to me at all.

My original point was that there will still be a strong market for the current 70-200VR on the used market so I wouldn't worry about not being able to sell the lens - so long as you recognize that top $$$ prices will get harder to achieve and you price accordingly.

Terry

This is a must have lens for me. F/4 is turtle slow when shooting wedding work ... even f/2.8 can be problematic at times on a D3 @ ISO 1600 due to subject movement. Not thrilled about the price tag.

But I love the newer 14-24 and 24-70, so this lens would complete the zoom kit. Nikon has delivered the one zoom lens gap in my wedding kit (the older one I had and sold just didn't cut it optically compared to the newer lenses)

Now a couple of new or re-formulated primes (35/1.4 and 85/1.4) with Nano coatings, AFS and ED elements and I'm a happy camper.
You are right of course for your work and I was talking about landscape shooters. Hiking around with the f4 version is a lot easier than the f2.8 version especially when most shots are stopped down or on a tripod.

M

marknorton

I've just bought the 200 f2 and I was not prepared for how big and heavy it is. It's huge. As for the 70 - 200, I find it's better to shoot in DX mode on the D3/D3x and zoom back to the equivalent field of view.

fultonpics

tripod--what's that? just kidding but haven't used one of them for years! I think i have an ancient Gitzo hanging around but not sure I know how to use it anymore--last time was at Mavericks on the cliff with a 600 and extender on it. I carry two D3's, one with a 70-200 2.8 and one with either a 400 2.8 or 200-400. it does get heavy, especially with a 14-24 and flash hanging off my belt. but carrying that gitzo with the honking head on it would weigh just as much. I know guys who carry three bodies (one for that 14-24) running around golf courses all day--it does get to you. but a 70-200 4.0 would be nice and probably sharper. I have an acquaintence that is one of SI's top staff pros and he favors that lens during day light events.

Last edited: