The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tamron 17-50 with VC

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For those few of us who still use old-fashioned Nikon cameras with those dinky little APC-C sensor, here's a piece of good news:

Tamron has launched the excellent 17-50mm f/2.8 with VC, which is Tamron speak for VR. On sale in Japan from 17 September. Here's the link:

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2009/0901.html

If Nikon can get their act together and launch an 85mm with VR, I would be able to get a completely image stabilised travel set (providing I buy the 70-300 VR to replace my aging ED). That would be a relatively cheap upgrade to my camera system, and an upgrade that would probably buy my current bodies another year or two :)

viablex1

you should be a rep for tamron, you get more great shots with their glass than anybody I ahve ever heard of...:cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
you should be a rep for tamron, you get more great shots with their glass than anybody I ahve ever heard of...:cool:
:LOL: Actually, I'm not only happy with Tamron. I have a 24-135mm that has given me some nasty surprises sometimes, particularly at the long end. But the 17-50mm is very good, at least my copy, and for the $300 I paid for it, it's beyond a bargain. I'm rather interested in trying out their new 60mm f/2.0 macro though.

Lars

I agree on the 17-50, it's a great lens at a great price.

It does have an issue with concrete floors though.

Lars

Lars, I never ever take photos of concrete floors :toocool:
Who said anything about taking pictures? :ROTFL:

The D2x came out of the event unscathed but the lens broke internally - composite construction, screw mounts that are, well, less than military grade. I did manage to temporarily repair the lens but it took a hit on focal plane alignment. That Tamron lens is now "retired".

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

The D2x came out of the event unscathed but the lens broke internally - composite construction, screw mounts that are, well, less than military grade. I did manage to temporarily repair the lens but it took a hit on focal plane alignment. That Tamron lens is now "retired".
See? Your camera is too heavy. If you had a "light as a feather" D80, this would never had happened :LOL:

Oh well, I guess we get what we pay for. One of my worries with cheap lenses is that they get some kind of internal damage, like misalignment, because I bump into something, without me noticing until it's too late, after a day of zillions of unrepeatable photos.

But with the new version of the 17-50, there isn't really any alternatives anywhere, so I guess it's either Tamron or change to a brand with in-body IS.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Then -how much did you get for it on ebay?

:ROTFL: