The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Wireless Speedlight kit R1 - any good?

F

Froggy

Hi there,

I have a D200 and I wondered whether any of you had any experiences, view or opinions on the Nikon Wireless Speedlight kit R1?

I am thinking of purchasing this but would really appreciate any comments on this or recommend any other systems that would work as well/better?

Many thanks,
Michele

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi Michele,
it really depends of what your intended use and expectations are.
On the expensive side, works well though for Macro. Better and more flexible than the Sigma ringflash alternative, but still more a "ring flash" in terms of performance than typical flashgun in the SB series.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the R1C1 kit but rarely use it to be honest. The SU-800 wireless commander I do use a lot though.

One thing to watch out for is to make sure that the shipped rings fit your proposed lenses. When I first bought this I was using the 105 macro and had to source the dedicated adapter ring for that lens. The flash(es) works pretty well though.

T

tetsrfun

One thing to watch out for is to make sure that the shipped rings fit your proposed lenses.
That is odd since the 105 is probably the main use for the R1...I just looked at my set which is probably 4yrs old and it has 5 rings including a 52 that fits the "old" non-VR 105 and a 62 that fits the new VR.

Steve

GrahamWelland

Steve - I just checked back with my kit and it was the UR-5 adapter for the 60mm Micro that I had to buy. My excuse is that it was a long time ago and I'm getting senile and forgetful at 45 :sleep006:

M

marknorton

Yes, that UR-5 adapter ring is required when using the old 60 to avoid putting weight on the bit that moves as you focus. The adapter ring effectively mounts the flash on the static barrel leaving the moving barrel easy to move.

Not a problem for any lens with internal focussing such as the relatively unloved 105 and the new AF-S 60mm.

As for its use, I think it's great for macro, close-up, even portraiture, lots of control and of course you can take the small flashes (SBR-200) off the camera and pretty much do what you like. The best part is that the flash is integrated into Nikon's CLS, so much more sophisticated than the old SB-29s.

You can add more SBR-200 to the two supplied. I have 8 but 4 is actually plenty.

GrahamWelland

You can add more SBR-200 to the two supplied. I have 8 but 4 is actually plenty.
Eight? Now that would make up a fabulous ring flash!

The other thing about the R1C1 kit is the case that Nikon provide with it. I personally don't use it because it's big and bulky and I would certainly worry about the reliability of the strap and resilience of the case long term. It's sitting back in the big box and the contents sit in my lighting bag. If you don't use it much or don't travel with it a lot then I guess it'll be ok.

T

tetsrfun

If you don't use it much or don't travel with it a lot then I guess it'll be ok.
I don't travel with it either but the case is very good for keeping all of the "bits" organized.

Steve