The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax K-x!

Rawfa

Here is a quote from the Pentax official website regarding this color "(...) now available in Stalin red! Join your fellow comrades and shoot along the proletariat forces". ;-)

V

Vivek

Rafa, Aren't you happy that no one bought your K mount lenses?;)

T

thinkfloyd

Colored cameras, for me, can be more stealthy than black ones... coz then people wouldn't mind you taking their picture with a "toy" camera! haha. They won't have to be intimidated by serious, black, professional cameras...:D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Colored cameras, for me, can be more stealthy than black ones... coz then people wouldn't mind you taking their picture with a "toy" camera! haha. They won't have to be intimidated by serious, black, professional cameras...:D
This is very true. Sometimes, being seen as just another ignorant tourist is the best way to get the shot. A white, long Canon lens has the opposite effect. Everybody and his aunt seem to have a cousin who brags about his white, professional L-glass.

This one would do fine, I suppose. Just need to change that big black lens for a silver Limited, and attach a couple of "Hello Kitty" stickers, and I'm in business :toocool:

T

thinkfloyd

A nice silver 43 sans hood would make for a pretty compact indiscreet kit :thumbup: Hello Kitty stickers would complete the look! (Especially the glittery ones to match the limiteds ;) )

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Reading more about the K-x has made me increasingly tempted by this camera for street photography, particularly in combination with a couple of Limited Primes:

So, I started making this check list inside my head:

- Very compact size ok
- Very light weight ok
- Low price :thumbup:
- Viewfinder almost as large as on D80/90 ok
- Uses AAs ok
- Uses SD cards ok
- In-body IS ok
- Generates DNG files ok
- Latest generation Sony 12MP sensor, very impressive high ISO performance ok
- Can mount and AF with Pentax Limited lenses ok
- 11 focus points ok
- Focus points not visible in viewfinder... :wtf:

:cussing: :cussing: :lecture: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dear Mr. Pentax,
I have just read about your new camera. It's really cute, and if I had a girlfriend, I'm sure she would love to have a pink one with Hello Kitty stickers all over it. But I don't have a girlfriend. On the other hand, I do like the navy blue version myself, and would consider buying one for my own use. There's a catch though: when you gathered all the parts you needed to assemble the camera, you seem to have forgotten a tiny little detail; the little points that show up in the viewfinder, telling you which focus point is in use. I'm sure it's just a slip of memory, and since most cameras, including most Pentax cameras, have this feature, it shouldn't be too hard to find an overlay that you can insert into the K-x, should it?

If on the other hand, you have problems understanding what these focus points are for, it may be an idea to hire a photographer to participate the next time you are designing a camera. I'm available at any time, and Japan isn't that far away, so I can be there in a day or two :)

Best regards,
Jorgen Udvang
Potential Pentax Buyer

Rawfa

The other I made a couple of tests with a K7 and a KM and I was less than impressed with the high iso performance and the controls. I don't know what they've put inside the K-X, but it must be something good because this review shows some VERY nice high iso tests: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Pentax-Kx-12172 . There's been some speculation about the K-X using the exact same sensor as the Nikon D5000, but I didn't manage to find any substantial reports to support this claim.