The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 25 MP DSLR

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
25 Mp 24x36mm sensor in a prosumer size body !
go Sony, go :D rock the market

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Interesting but let's see Sony dust of the Konica Hexar RF plans and make it digital.

Now that would rock....

Irenaeus

Interesting but let's see Sony dust of the Konica Hexar RF plans and make it digital.

Now that would rock....
I agree entirely! FWIW, here would be my word in Sony's ear to that end:

1. Your purpose here is not to make an innovative new camera but to reclaim a widely respected classic.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

2. Keep as much of the original camera as is technically possible: the same fixed f2 lens, infrared AF focusing system, programming, solidity, silence, etc.. (You may even keep the original's occasionally awkward little buttons in order to keep R & D costs down.) In other words, make it just the way Konica did but

3. Just drop a sealed sensor + electronics package within the existing body forms to keep the camera fully weatherized.

4. A full frame sensor and an effective field of view of the original 35mm are the goals. Use your new 25 MP chip. If digital capture ABSOLUTELY requires a smaller sensor to preserve image quality around the edges, continue to use that chip and pare it down as little as possible. The goal would then become an EFOV of no more than 50mm.

5. Plan on it being for serious users, who will quickly spread the word. Again, KEEP YOUR COSTS DOWN! Enthusiasts already have lots of their money invested in expensive equipment. Most of us cannot (or refuse to!) afford Leicas (or even 5ds) but we're aching for a camera like this and we WILL buy it if you make it well and sell it at an enjoyable price. Some of us, in fact, will use it almost exclusively.

6. Review Thom Hogan and Mike Johnson's designs as incentives toward this restoring this classic:
http://www.bythom.com/compact.htm
http://luminous-landscape.com/columns/DMD.shtml

7. Don't wait too long — THEY might be gaining!

We'll love you for it, we'll use it a lot and we'll tell ALL our friends!

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since I doubt that Sony would take up again the production of an old classic, regardless of how many prospective customers there are, here's another angle:

Would it be possible to make the rangefinder 100% electronic, keeping the user experience, and if possible make it even better, but do away with all mechanical parts except the (manual) focusing?

That way, it would be a truly innovative product, and probably much more to Sony's taste.

Irenaeus

You're probably right, Jorgen —

I was thinking of the simplicity of using what they already have while you seem to be thinking of the simplicity of incorporating it all into the electronics package. I'll concede the point if you'll get SONY to do the job! :)

Cheers,

Irenaeus

nostatic

I have little faith that Sony will come through with the whole package. Or if they do, it'll use some new raw format and require MemoryStickGonzo (tm, not backward compatible). Or they'll figure out a way to require a bluray disc in the camera :p

They are trying to change their NIH and closed culture but it is a tough row to how. More likely is that they'll make amazing sensors and someone else will do something cool with them.

fotografz

Since Zeiss seems to be working with Sony, how about a Zeiss Ikon with a nice big Sony high meg sensor in it?

gogopix

Subscriber
and the registration distance is same as canon, yes? or close; SOOOOO there could be an "R" Leica to Sony adapter....

Stuart Richardson

25mp and 24x36? Sounds good to me! That camera looks pretty beefy too...does anyone know how much CZ is actually involved in their lens production? For some reason I am a bit dubious that it is as much as with the ZM and ZF lenses...

LCT

The CZ 24-70/2.8 is very good according to Chasseur d'Images if i remember well. No wide Zeiss for the Sony so far though.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
25mp and 24x36? Sounds good to me! That camera looks pretty beefy too...does anyone know how much CZ is actually involved in their lens production? For some reason I am a bit dubious that it is as much as with the ZM and ZF lenses...
I guess they wouldn't put their logo on the lenses if there wasn't some involvement and control. Although brand-names are commodities these days, they would probably want to be able to sell that label in the future as well.

The day the lenses carry a red square with a yellow "M" in it, I will start to worry :ROTFL: