Site Sponsors

Thread: What about FF mirrorless cameras?

Post Thanks / Like

What about FF mirrorless cameras?

There is all that hype and discussion about mirrorless cameras with EVFs and I must admit that the current quality of my EP2 and it's EVF is stunning.

Now there is all that talk about mirrorless FT which could of course reduce manufacturing costs of these cameras but I do not see the real advantage as normal FT lenses are still big compared to what is possible with mirrorless.

Extending this towards FF one might be able to build pretty small FF lenses when adding a mirrorless FF body. Best example is the Leica M system as we all know. Now with mirrorless design and high resolution EVFs available, this might have a bright future. Just think about small zooms capable of FF and high speed. For example:

2.0/70-300 and a size comparable to a 4.5/70-300 as of today
    2.8/100-500 with a size similar to 100-400 lenses offered today

etc.

This seems to be really exciting future ........

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What about FF mirrorless cameras?

I would love an FF camera that is smaller than 5D! I adore my Canon, but sure wouldn't mind to have something smaller with the same image quality. It needs to be substantially cheaper than M9 though, and AF would be nice. I'd be willing to pay a price similar to what 5DII and D700 cost, but I don't know if it's realistic.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would like a FF mirrorless/liveview cam as well. For many uses no one needs AF and 15snaps/second and all that.

There is Medium format or tiny format. Nothing in between.

May be Leica's M15 will be like that (though likely Leica price tagged).

Someone has to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I would like a FF mirrorless/liveview cam as well. For many uses no one needs AF and 15snaps/second and all that.

There is Medium format or tiny format. Nothing in between.

May be Leica's M15 will be like that (though likely Leica price tagged).

Someone has to do it.
    Leica M15 is a good one

Fully agree!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The interesting thing about the new Sony mirror-less concepts at PMA is that it looks like the mount is at or near the same size as the Alpha mount, meaning FF frame cameras could be in the line's future. It has been said that Sony plans on doing a full line of EVILS of varying features and builds. Also, Sony said at PMA that Zeiss will be designing some lenses for their new mirror-less cams. Interesting indeed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, I avoided M16, deliberately.

Douglas, If Sony really would start their mirroless cam with an APS-C sized EXMOR-R sensor, I would consider them being serious and would preorder one without even taking a look at the color or design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, Leica should be belly up by the time they could launch a M15

Let guess that a mirrorless Canon FF could be underway to replace the 5D. When Pana showed up their G1, there was an interview of a Canon rep who said in substance they were going to look at this type of camera very seriously. Now the 5D is a bit behind for video and image treatment but the sensor is still among the best (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor), a mark III is awaited.

It is defenitely the way to go.

Michel

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All Canon needs to do is make a digital EOS-1N.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    All Canon needs to do is make a digital EOS-1N.
    The ones with pellicle mirror were discontinued for a reason, wasn't it?

Why bother with beam splitters, reflex housings, RF patches...?

Welcome to the 21st century!

aprillove20

Well, Leica M15 is a good one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
    Vivek, Leica should be belly up by the time they could launch a M15 Michel
    Considering it took 56 years to get to "M9"
    That would add another 37.3 years with whole number models to get to M15. Ummmmm 2047.....I'll be dead by then (or d**m close)

But a FF interchangeable lens camera sounds like it could be on a few road maps for 10 year projections. (just my guess). They could use any FF lens now made since the registry is deeper with a mirror. Similar to the Oly/Pany secondarily benefit of a shorter registry allowing Nikon, Leica, Canon, and a host of others.
    But I do want an EVF also, like the G2 or really descent add on EVF.

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll be astonished if Leica doesn't release a full-frame mirrorless camera -- probably manufactured by Panasonic -- with an R-compatible lens mount at Photokina later this year. They promised a "solution" for Leica R lenses, I'm betting this will be it.

Post Thanks / Like

A FF mirrorless camera has great potential. If it is designed to work like a small size digital back, one could slap that on a tech view camera with adapter.
    In any case such camera should have excellent live view and tethered shooting capability.

aprillove20

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    I'll be astonished if Leica doesn't release a full-frame mirrorless camera -- probably manufactured by Panasonic -- with an R-compatible lens mount at Photokina later this year. They promised a "solution" for Leica R lenses, I'm betting this will be it.
    This is very close to my guess. I'm guessing that the camera won't be exclusively R. There would be a much bigger market for a mirrorless camera with a short mount register that can take adapters for all sorts of 35mm lenses. If it's a 'smart' adapter that preserves the lens' auto-diaphragm and full-aperture metering functions, and a decent viewfinder, I'd be looking very seriously at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a side note I'm observing with the advancement of m/43 and the NEX cameras.

I'll bet in 3-5 years there is a newer standard....
    A camera that can take any lens from any maker...(these two mounts have that now..). But FF and more APS-c bodys are the future of mirror-less cameras. It won't discontinue the DSLR (yet)...Maybe the DSLR will only be for the "PRO Grade" offerings down the road...(5-10 years)

It could happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica promised a digital "solution" for R lens owners? I didn't know that (how did I miss it?). Do you have a link to that promise/statement or whatever which I could read?

So there may be hope yet......although to be sure, I'm pretty happy using my R lenses on the G1 with the Panasonic R adapter. Even so, a FF mirrorless camera taking R lenses (maybe even sold by Leica) would definitely get my attention.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Leica promised a digital "solution" for R lens owners? I didn't know that (how did I miss it?). Do you have a link to that promise/statement or whatever which I could read?

So there may be hope yet......although to be sure, I'm pretty happy using my R lenses on the G1 with the Panasonic R adapter. Even so, a FF mirrorless camera taking R lenses (maybe even sold by Leica) would definitely get my attention.

Gary
    3 is a charm.....
    the last two attempts for a digital back were a failure for the R8/9.... A FF DSLR R10 or a EVIL R10...... very interesting....They do have a FF sensor, so, to build a DSLR or EVIL body around the M9 sensor would have the major work already done. Well see soon enough..

Post Thanks / Like

Leica promised a digital "solution" for R lens owners?
    http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...an-daniel.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica promised a digital "solution" for R lens owners? (...)
    and this was said June 2009 (i.e. five months earlier than Doug's link):

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...el-during.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    and this was said June 2009 (i.e. five months earlier than Doug's link):

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...el-during.html
    Given the earlier promise of an R10 then the abandonment of the entire R system, I won't believe there's an R solution until it's on the market... but the latest I've heard from Leica is that they're working on it. FWIW.

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    ... I'm guessing that the camera won't be exclusively R. There would be a much bigger market for a mirrorless camera with a short mount register that can take adapters for all sorts of 35mm lenses. If it's a 'smart' adapter that preserves the lens' auto-diaphragm and full-aperture metering functions, and a decent viewfinder, I'd be looking very seriously at it.
    I had imagined the most we could hope for was that auto-diaphragm and full-aperture metering functions would be available for ROM version Leica R lenses only. Would it be possible to design an adapter that provides such functionality for cam-based Leica R lenses plus lenses with widely varying mounts from Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

I had imagined the most we could hope for was that auto-diaphragm and full-aperture metering functions would be available for ROM version Leica R lenses only. Would it be possible to design an adapter that provides such functionality for cam-based Leica R lenses plus lenses with widely varying mounts from Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc?
    I don't see why not. The functional difference between a 3rd-cam lens and a ROM lens is similar to the difference between coded and non-coded M lenses. The auto-diaphragm is completely mechanical and the 3rd cam tells the camera everything it needs to know for full-aperture metering. The ROM tells the camera what lens is attached for software corrections and the like, but there's no reason a smart adapter can't have a lens database built into it, as the M9 does for non-coded lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggested a M9 with no top deck when the M9 was released here http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...sm-no-top.html

The idea was a FF M-Camera with liveview kind of like a FF Leica M version of the GF1 but as you can see in the thread but the idea was pretty much ignored. My thinking was that the RF and associated alignment was a cost that some of us don't want to meet.

I still think it would sell -- Oh well!