Site Sponsors

Thread: Pentax 18-55mm kit lens is lousy

Post Thanks / Like

Pentax 18-55mm kit lens is lousy

I was trying out a Pentax the other day and shot with the 18-55mm II kit lens wide open. It was really a poor lens. The centre was sharp but the edges were terrible. Coming from using Nikon's 16-85mm and the 4/3rds kits, it's a bit of a shock. When I owned the Pentax K20D, I used the 16-45mm f4.0 which apart from some colour error is a good lens, especially given its minimum focusing distance of less than a foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pentax 18-55mm kit lens is lousy

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    I was trying out a Pentax the other day and shot with the 18-55mm II kit lens wide open. It was really a poor lens. The centre was sharp but the edges were terrible. Coming from using Nikon's 16-85mm and the 4/3rds kits, it's a bit of a shock. When I owned the Pentax K20D, I used the 16-45mm f4.0 which apart from some colour error is a good lens, especially given its minimum focusing distance of less than a foot.
    Nikon 16-85 cost 3 to 6 times more than Pentax 18-55 mkI or mkII (non WR version)... and @ 18mm it is bad - http://www.photozone.de/pentax/135-p...report?start=1 however if you want to claim that it is bad @ 35mm you might want to post a raw file as a proof