The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NX10

P

pcheywood

Does the camera operate and show any exposure without any lens mounted?

*The manual does not give any clear indications as far as I have parsed through it.
I've just tried it, the sensor is still live with no lens or a body cap inserted, and it seems to be metering OK, however the shutter will not trip and the camera reports 'no lens'.

I'm sure it is but a small matter to the people who make adaptors though, not that I'm thinking of using any myself, especially if Samsung keep developing primes like the 30mm.

V

Vivek

Thanks a bunch for your speedy reply! :)

I think the little metal button inside the mount (bottom right) gets depressed when a lens is mounted (or the body cap) and that would allow the cam to think the lens is mounted.

The issue about not being able to use the magnifier function (viewfinder or LED screen) when a non Samsung lens is mounted is still not known though.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The issue about not being able to use the magnifier function (viewfinder or LED screen) when a non Samsung lens is mounted is still not known though.
This issue plus the current lack of adapters is all that's stopping me from taking the plunge with the NX10 -- and it won't be possible to assess the magnifier function without having an adapter. The NX10 is now being advertised by online sellers in Australia and Samsung have priced it very aggressively compared to the Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 camera+lens combinations, as can be seen with the following list prices:

Panasonic G1 plus 14-45mm kit zoom: AUD 1299 (EUR 887 / USD 1195)
Panasonic GF1 plus 20mm pancake: AUD 1499 (EUR 1024 / USD 1379)
Olympus E-P1 plus 14-42 kit zoom: AUD 1399 (EUR 955 / USD 1287)
Samsung NX10 plus 18-55mm kit zoom: AUD 850 (EUR 580 / USD 782)
Samsung NX10 plus 30mm pancake: AUD 900 (EUR 615 / USD 828)

The Novoflex NX10 adapters are supposed to ship by the end of April but, even though their m4/3 adapters are of much higher quality than the Chinese equivalents, I'm reluctant to pay a premium price just to do a trial run. So I think I'll wait until I can buy a Chinese Minolta MC/MD, Konica AR, or Yashica C/Y adapter then take it a store and try the NX10 with one or more of my legacy lenses.

Like you, Vivek, I'm very interested in this camera. But it has to properly support legacy lenses. If it doesn't, I'll stick with the G1.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Jonathon,

The Pana Australia prices are ridiculous! :eek:

I am going to check out the NX10 in a few minutes (nearby shop). Looks like I will have to import the kit with the 30/2 from HK though.

Here, the advertised price is 750 Euros for that (650Euros with the kitzzoomy).

No sign of the flashes (though some UK sites list them). The battery looks simple and there are plenty of 3rd party options for that. :thumbs:

I will get RJ adapters for this cam (or the US adapters- for m4/3rds- which sell on eBay that look like clones of Novoflex) .

I am not going to pay the price of a lens for an adapter (ie. Novoflex). I really wonder how many adapters Novoflex really sell.:confused:

With liveview, precise registry is not needed.

Martin S

Very positive review in Amateur Photographer magazine. No comparison with m 4/3 yet.

I will wait for a reliable comparison before I make the plunge. Also, not currently in stock at B&H.

Martin

sinwen

Side by side with the G1:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsungnx10/

The sensor is the same as the Pentax K7 /Samsung GX-20. A test in a french mag sum up saying that "for a first camera fully produced by Samsung, it is very promising".

Pro :
compact & light
APS-c IQ
very good ergonomics
full set of functionalities
very good menus
good reactivity
excellent screen
good flash
dust system

Con:
viewfinder
high ISO
basic video
white balance
NR too strong

Notation 82/100

I believe it is the way to go if we want compact cameras, the main objection being the viewfinder, but it is a matter of few years before the EV improve and become as good if not better than the traditional mirror.
Wait until Canon or Sony come out with one of these it will be a step further than what is on the market now.
I expect Canon to brew something out.

Michel

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jonathon,

The Pana Australia prices are ridiculous! :eek:

I will get RJ adapters for this cam (or the US adapters- for m4/3rds- which sell on eBay that look like clones of Novoflex) .

I am not going to pay the price of a lens for an adapter (ie. Novoflex). I really wonder how many adapters Novoflex really sell.:confused:

With liveview, precise registry is not needed.
Ridiculous indeed! Hopefully, the NX10 will get sufficient traction in Australia to force Panasonic and Olympus to price their cameras, lenses, and accessories more realistically.

I have one Novoflex adapter (Minolta MC/MD) which I bought when I encountered problems with the only other adapter I had: an RJ Minolta MC/MD adapter. I didn't realize that the problem was the lens mount, not the adapter. The quality of the Novoflex adapter is exceptionally good but, like you, I don't think it's a sensible way to spend one's money.

Your point about live view and accurate register is spot-on. I'm not a landscape shooter so infinity focus is largely irrelevant to me.

However, I'm concerned about focusing legacy lenses on the NX10, given that DPreview's NX10 preview says:
The NX10 offers single and continuous AF as well as fully manual focus (this is either engaged using the lens switch or - if there isn't one - the Function menu). In manual focus mode turning the focus dial magnifies the center of the frame, but not by enough - and not with enough resolution - to make it particularly useful.
This seems to imply that the AF lens in MF mode communicates with the camera to activate the magnification. So I'm wondering how turning the focusing ring on a legacy lens will get the camera to show the magnified view. Perhaps that's a limitation that can be overcome with a firmware update but the current implementation doesn't sound anywhere near as quick and easy as it is with the various Panasonic models.

V

Vivek

Jonathon, I would not worry about what that "review" site says. If they copy the specs given by the manufacturer, faithfully, and make a few pages of the "review", it makes it a handy reference. No more.

The AF lens activating the magnification is the same as in Pana/Oly. It remains to be seen if the firmware updates by NX10 has done anything to make it better.

Only when real manual focus lenses are used we will know for sure what happens.

So, Pana must have sold half a dozen cameras in Australia at these prices? :rolleyes:

V

Vivek

OK, I will find out if this would be of any use with manual focus lenses soon.

Can't wait to try out my pen F lenses....:)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jonathon, I would not worry about what that "review" site says. If they copy the specs given by the manufacturer, faithfully, and make a few pages of the "review", it makes it a handy reference. No more.

The AF lens activating the magnification is the same as in Pana/Oly. It remains to be seen if the firmware updates by NX10 has done anything to make it better.

Only when real manual focus lenses are used we will know for sure what happens.

So, Pana must have sold half a dozen cameras in Australia at these prices? :rolleyes:
Well, they certainly didn't sell any G1 bodies, lenses, or spare batteries to me. Though, assuming that the Samsung works well with MF lenses, I'd definitely buy the NX10 plus the 30mm pancake locally.

OK, I will find out if this would be of any use with manual focus lenses soon.

Can't wait to try out my pen F lenses....:)
You and me both, Vivek. (A 38/3.5 Pen F Macro arrived in the post today. :D )

V

Vivek

Jonathon, I will know next week.;):)

Congrats on the 38/3.5 macro!

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jonathon, I will know next week.;):)
I'm very much looking forward to reading about your experience with the cam. The just-published NX10 review (from our favorite "review" site) says:
Anybody hoping to capitalize on the NX10's mirrorless design (and consequent short sensor-to-mount distance), to use non NX-mount lenses via adapters will also be disappointed because you can't manually engage magnified live view so can't realistically manually focus lenses.
But your opinion carries far more weight than theirs.

Congrats on the 38/3.5 macro!
I'm astonished at what a great little lens this is for the G1. Why didn't you tell me it was so good?

Oh, wait, you did describe it as "one of my all time favorites for the m4/3rds". :thumbs:

V

Vivek

Jonathon, That outfit continues to amaze me. Why would they choose a "normal" 50/1.4 lens to fit on the NX10 and a superb 50/2 Macro on an m4/3rds while making comparison shots at f/8? :confused: Couldn't they have used kit lenses? I went through that, especially the image quality part where they are saying that the camera does not show any details compared to Nikon and Canon DSLRs. Intriguing and would love to check that out first. If it is that horrible, I will have to ditch Samsung.

I do get the impression that the 30/2 is a fine lens (too bad the review outfit did not comment or compare it with the "flareless" Pana 20/1.7).:)

BTW, when I use manual focus lenses from 25mm to 45mm FL on the G1, I very rarely use the zoom feature. If the picture mode (and hence the EVF) is set with the highest contrast settings and in a B&W mode, it is fairly easy to focus. Once focus is achieved, the focused area start to shimmer and with color fringes.

I am sure there will be firmware updates to get the zoom feature. Even the Olympus E-410 has a fine 7X and 10X zoom feature!

Oh, the pen F 38/3.5 is beyond words.:thumbs: If you already do not have, you should plan on getting the extension ring set so that you can go to 1:1 (and a bit beyond). :)

V

Vivek

Currently, there is one listing on ebay for a T-mount adapter ($12.99) for the Samsung NX10. Good source for a NX mount flange.

V

Vivek

Not a complete review but at least a first idea about measurable data, DPR lens review[/URL].

IIRC, the 20/1.7 data has already been tweaked. The originally posted version (now changed) showed performance over the Nyquist frequency.

Just because some throw out numbers does not mean they are "measurable" or real.

Jonas

IIRC, the 20/1.7 data has already been tweaked. The originally posted version (now changed) showed performance over the Nyquist frequency.

Just because some throw out numbers does not mean they are "measurable" or real.
I'm sorry for that Vivek. I got the impression you thought it was too bad the review outfit did not comment or compare it with the "flareless" Pana 20/1.7.

V

Vivek

My apologies for a truncated thought. I meant to point out that there were no "flare" comparisons there. :ROTFL:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jonathon, That outfit continues to amaze me. Why would they choose a "normal" 50/1.4 lens to fit on the NX10 and a superb 50/2 Macro on an m4/3rds while making comparison shots at f/8? :confused: Couldn't they have used kit lenses? I went through that, especially the image quality part where they are saying that the camera does not show any details compared to Nikon and Canon DSLRs. Intriguing and would love to check that out first. If it is that horrible, I will have to ditch Samsung.

I do get the impression that the 30/2 is a fine lens (too bad the review outfit did not comment or compare it with the "flareless" Pana 20/1.7).:)

BTW, when I use manual focus lenses from 25mm to 45mm FL on the G1, I very rarely use the zoom feature. If the picture mode (and hence the EVF) is set with the highest contrast settings and in a B&W mode, it is fairly easy to focus. Once focus is achieved, the focused area start to shimmer and with color fringes.

I am sure there will be firmware updates to get the zoom feature. Even the Olympus E-410 has a fine 7X and 10X zoom feature!

Oh, the pen F 38/3.5 is beyond words.:thumbs: If you already do not have, you should plan on getting the extension ring set so that you can go to 1:1 (and a bit beyond). :)
I was amazed at that choice of lenses -- given that Pentax K adapters are available for both the NX10 and the GF1, why not use the same Pentax lens on both cameras. They appear to have little or no understanding of the importance of minimizing the variables when doing this kind of testing.

All of the evidence I've seen suggests that Samsung's 30/2 pancake lens is indeed very good.

Unlike you, I almost always use the zoom feature for lenses from 20mm to 45mm but not so much for 55mm and above. So a proper implementation of the zoom feature for MF lenses is a must-have feature for me. If they don't fix it with a firmware update, I'll skip the NX10 and wait to see what Canikony offer in mirrorless cams.

I was able to pick up the Pen F extension ring at an attractive price some months ago. But, despite offering what I thought were quite high bids, I've twice missed out on getting the reversing ring set.

Currently, there is one listing on ebay for a T-mount adapter ($12.99) for the Samsung NX10. Good source for a NX mount flange.
This USD 12.99 adapter is the only one I could find on eBay, but the description says "T Mount T-Mount Adapter Panasonic G1 GH1 Samsung NX10" and the label on the packaging says "T-Mount f/Olympus DSLR 4/3". So it's suitable for neither m4/3 cameras nor the NX10. Further on down the page it says: "For use with 500mm , 800mm , 420-800mm, 650-1300mm and telescopes." Or did you find a different one?