Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NX10

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

NX10

Looks like they will be initially ~550 Euros ($699) and are expected ~April.

tokengirl

Re: NX10

Serious question: Why would I want one of these?

I really want to understand what might be appealing about this camera, because I just don't see it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post

You might want to send that to Samsung?

Just another "system" camera with slow CDAF focus (so if you are in for AF, tough luck) and liveview.

It is the liveview/EVF that appeals to me. I may get one to convert it to use my Olympus Pen F lenses.

If someone comes up with even a larger frame liveview/EVF cam, I will look into those as well.

tokengirl

So is it that you want the largest sensor possible without having the bulk of a camera with an optical viewfinder? Or is there something else special about this particular camera that I'm missing?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So is it that you want the largest sensor possible without having the bulk of a camera with an optical viewfinder?
    That is it.

If some X,Y, Z bring out a 35mm FF mirrorless cam now, I will put my money on it.

(I will even put up with video and such gizmos.)

tokengirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

If some X,Y, Z bring out a 35mm FF mirrorless cam now, I will put my money on it.

(I will even put up with video and such gizmos.)
    M9. No need to put up with any gizmos.

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But the M9 lacks what Vivek has already stated are the most appealing features of cameras like the NX10 and G1: real live view and an EVF.

I feel pretty much the same way. I'd prefer an APS-C or larger sensor but, other than that, the G1 is very close to my ideal camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon already answered this. I will buy NX10, G2,.. no M9 for me.

Perhaps an M15?

See: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...739#post193739

Why would want to go back a hundred years?

Can't even use a regular polarizer on M9 without extra doodahs or the overpriced Leica swing out polarizer.
    Last edited by Vivek; 18th March 2010 at 07:43.

tokengirl

I was not serious when I mentioned the M9 (that's why I used the ""), I did not imagine for one second it would be what you wanted.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Serious or not, it is the M15 I am aiming for.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just bought my GH1, body only, for around $700. From what I can gather, the Panasonic is a superior camera in most ways, particularly if video is taken into the consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

The GH1 is better for video, but for stills I think the NX10 is better. I like it's form factor much better and the image quality seems better (still evaluating though). The NX10 with the kit zoom lens was only $699. I want the 30mm prime but it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. yet.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

samples?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    samples?
    Limited set of test shots here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcaslis...203210/detail/

Only had a half day of shooting before the rain moved in. The forecast for this week is bad, but I'm hoping to get a few shots this week. Note that these are all in-camera JPEGs. No Mac RAW converter yet.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

bcaslis, Thanks.

I love this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcaslis...7623714203210/

Amazing blacks and whites!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The GH1 is better for video, but for stills I think the NX10 is better. I like it's form factor much better and the image quality seems better (still evaluating though). The NX10 with the kit zoom lens was only $699. I want the 30mm prime but it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. yet.
    Do you or did you have a GH1? I'd love to see the same shots with both by someone that has both cameras, similar lens setup.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really want to understand what might be appealing about this camera, because I just don't see it.
    Hi There - certainly comparisons I've done recently between the APS c sensor on the X1, and the GF1 and the EP1 suggest to me that what difference there is between the sensor sizes isn't really worth the candle.

. . . . . but as Vivek says, bring on a small full frame camera with liveview and an EVF .

Incidentally - your avatar is killing me, I just can't work out what it is (aside from the tongue) please tell me!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Do you or did you have a GH1? I'd love to see the same shots with both by someone that has both cameras, similar lens setup.
    I've had in the past a G1 and an E-P1 but not GH1. I unfortunately don't have either now so I can't do a side by side comparison. But I will say that high-ISO the NX10 looks a bit better. But more importantly is that at low ISO I could see shadow noise at low ISO on scenes with lots of dark areas on the MFT cameras I had. I don't see that on the NX10. I'm not overly found of the JPEG engine on the NX10 since it seems a bit too aggressive on NR. I've used a demo of RAW developer to look at the RAW files (I'm on a Mac and only windows software is in the box) and they look very promising. I'm hoping that Lightroom adds support before too long.

But the biggest benefit to me is the form factor. It just feels so much better to hold then the G1 or E-P1 or GF1 at least to me. And the viewfinder is not as bad as some descriptions I've seen. It might be a little smaller and slightly less pixels than the G1/GH1 viewfinder, but I find the colors and contrast levels better. The AMOLED screen on the back is to die for. Far better than any screen I've seen on a camera including my Nikon.

pcheywood

It's been a long, long, long time since I posted on these forums.........So, I thought I'd post a couple of my first images form my NX10 and 30mm (I have the 18-55, it came as part of a kit, but have not used it yet).

For myself, after becoming disabled and unable to carry a DSLR kit, I've been searching for a viable camera to keep in my pocket. Out of all the cams I've purchased or trialed, this one is almost perfect.

Excuse my quick processing (or rather, my lack of skills/patience).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does the camera operate and show any exposure without any lens mounted?

*The manual does not give any clear indications as far as I have parsed through it.

pcheywood

Does the camera operate and show any exposure without any lens mounted?

*The manual does not give any clear indications as far as I have parsed through it.
    I've just tried it, the sensor is still live with no lens or a body cap inserted, and it seems to be metering OK, however the shutter will not trip and the camera reports 'no lens'.

I'm sure it is but a small matter to the people who make adaptors though, not that I'm thinking of using any myself, especially if Samsung keep developing primes like the 30mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a bunch for your speedy reply!

I think the little metal button inside the mount (bottom right) gets depressed when a lens is mounted (or the body cap) and that would allow the cam to think the lens is mounted.

The issue about not being able to use the magnifier function (viewfinder or LED screen) when a non Samsung lens is mounted is still not known though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The issue about not being able to use the magnifier function (viewfinder or LED screen) when a non Samsung lens is mounted is still not known though.
    This issue plus the current lack of adapters is all that's stopping me from taking the plunge with the NX10 -- and it won't be possible to assess the magnifier function without having an adapter. The NX10 is now being advertised by online sellers in Australia and Samsung have priced it very aggressively compared to the Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 camera+lens combinations, as can be seen with the following list prices:

Panasonic G1 plus 14-45mm kit zoom: AUD 1299 (EUR 887 / USD 1195)
    Panasonic GF1 plus 20mm pancake: AUD 1499 (EUR 1024 / USD 1379)
    Olympus E-P1 plus 14-42 kit zoom: AUD 1399 (EUR 955 / USD 1287)
    Samsung NX10 plus 18-55mm kit zoom: AUD 850 (EUR 580 / USD 782)
    Samsung NX10 plus 30mm pancake: AUD 900 (EUR 615 / USD 828)

The Novoflex NX10 adapters are supposed to ship by the end of April but, even though their m4/3 adapters are of much higher quality than the Chinese equivalents, I'm reluctant to pay a premium price just to do a trial run. So I think I'll wait until I can buy a Chinese Minolta MC/MD, Konica AR, or Yashica C/Y adapter then take it a store and try the NX10 with one or more of my legacy lenses.

Like you, Vivek, I'm very interested in this camera. But it has to properly support legacy lenses. If it doesn't, I'll stick with the G1.
    Last edited by Jonathon Delacour; 5th April 2010 at 02:58.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon,

The Pana Australia prices are ridiculous!

I am going to check out the NX10 in a few minutes (nearby shop). Looks like I will have to import the kit with the 30/2 from HK though.

Here, the advertised price is 750 Euros for that (650Euros with the kitzzoomy).

No sign of the flashes (though some UK sites list them). The battery looks simple and there are plenty of 3rd party options for that.

I will get RJ adapters for this cam (or the US adapters- for m4/3rds- which sell on eBay that look like clones of Novoflex) .

I am not going to pay the price of a lens for an adapter (ie. Novoflex). I really wonder how many adapters Novoflex really sell.

With liveview, precise registry is not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Very positive review in Amateur Photographer magazine. No comparison with m 4/3 yet.

I will wait for a reliable comparison before I make the plunge. Also, not currently in stock at B&H.

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The shop with the cam was closed today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Side by side with the G1:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsungnx10/

The sensor is the same as the Pentax K7 /Samsung GX-20. A test in a french mag sum up saying that "for a first camera fully produced by Samsung, it is very promising".

Pro :
    compact & light
    APS-c IQ
    very good ergonomics
    full set of functionalities
    very good menus
    good reactivity
    excellent screen
    good flash
    dust system

Con:
    viewfinder
    high ISO
    basic video
    white balance
    NR too strong

Notation 82/100

I believe it is the way to go if we want compact cameras, the main objection being the viewfinder, but it is a matter of few years before the EV improve and become as good if not better than the traditional mirror.
    Wait until Canon or Sony come out with one of these it will be a step further than what is on the market now.
    I expect Canon to brew something out.

Michel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon,

The Pana Australia prices are ridiculous!

I will get RJ adapters for this cam (or the US adapters- for m4/3rds- which sell on eBay that look like clones of Novoflex) .

I am not going to pay the price of a lens for an adapter (ie. Novoflex). I really wonder how many adapters Novoflex really sell.

With liveview, precise registry is not needed.
    Ridiculous indeed! Hopefully, the NX10 will get sufficient traction in Australia to force Panasonic and Olympus to price their cameras, lenses, and accessories more realistically.

I have one Novoflex adapter (Minolta MC/MD) which I bought when I encountered problems with the only other adapter I had: an RJ Minolta MC/MD adapter. I didn't realize that the problem was the lens mount, not the adapter. The quality of the Novoflex adapter is exceptionally good but, like you, I don't think it's a sensible way to spend one's money.

Your point about live view and accurate register is spot-on. I'm not a landscape shooter so infinity focus is largely irrelevant to me.

However, I'm concerned about focusing legacy lenses on the NX10, given that DPreview's NX10 preview says:
    The NX10 offers single and continuous AF as well as fully manual focus (this is either engaged using the lens switch or - if there isn't one - the Function menu). In manual focus mode turning the focus dial magnifies the center of the frame, but not by enough - and not with enough resolution - to make it particularly useful.
    This seems to imply that the AF lens in MF mode communicates with the camera to activate the magnification. So I'm wondering how turning the focusing ring on a legacy lens will get the camera to show the magnified view. Perhaps that's a limitation that can be overcome with a firmware update but the current implementation doesn't sound anywhere near as quick and easy as it is with the various Panasonic models.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon, I would not worry about what that "review" site says. If they copy the specs given by the manufacturer, faithfully, and make a few pages of the "review", it makes it a handy reference. No more.

The AF lens activating the magnification is the same as in Pana/Oly. It remains to be seen if the firmware updates by NX10 has done anything to make it better.

Only when real manual focus lenses are used we will know for sure what happens.

So, Pana must have sold half a dozen cameras in Australia at these prices?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I will find out if this would be of any use with manual focus lenses soon.

Can't wait to try out my pen F lenses....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon, I would not worry about what that "review" site says. If they copy the specs given by the manufacturer, faithfully, and make a few pages of the "review", it makes it a handy reference. No more.

The AF lens activating the magnification is the same as in Pana/Oly. It remains to be seen if the firmware updates by NX10 has done anything to make it better.

Only when real manual focus lenses are used we will know for sure what happens.

So, Pana must have sold half a dozen cameras in Australia at these prices?
    Well, they certainly didn't sell any G1 bodies, lenses, or spare batteries to me. Though, assuming that the Samsung works well with MF lenses, I'd definitely buy the NX10 plus the 30mm pancake locally.

OK, I will find out if this would be of any use with manual focus lenses soon.

Can't wait to try out my pen F lenses....
    You and me both, Vivek. (A 38/3.5 Pen F Macro arrived in the post today. )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon, I will know next week.

Congrats on the 38/3.5 macro!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon, I will know next week.
    I'm very much looking forward to reading about your experience with the cam. The just-published NX10 review (from our favorite "review" site) says:
    Anybody hoping to capitalize on the NX10's mirrorless design (and consequent short sensor-to-mount distance), to use non NX-mount lenses via adapters will also be disappointed because you can't manually engage magnified live view so can't realistically manually focus lenses.
    But your opinion carries far more weight than theirs.

Congrats on the 38/3.5 macro!
    I'm astonished at what a great little lens this is for the G1. Why didn't you tell me it was so good?

Oh, wait, you did describe it as "one of my all time favorites for the m4/3rds".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon, That outfit continues to amaze me. Why would they choose a "normal" 50/1.4 lens to fit on the NX10 and a superb 50/2 Macro on an m4/3rds while making comparison shots at f/8? Couldn't they have used kit lenses? I went through that, especially the image quality part where they are saying that the camera does not show any details compared to Nikon and Canon DSLRs. Intriguing and would love to check that out first. If it is that horrible, I will have to ditch Samsung.

I do get the impression that the 30/2 is a fine lens (too bad the review outfit did not comment or compare it with the "flareless" Pana 20/1.7).

BTW, when I use manual focus lenses from 25mm to 45mm FL on the G1, I very rarely use the zoom feature. If the picture mode (and hence the EVF) is set with the highest contrast settings and in a B&W mode, it is fairly easy to focus. Once focus is achieved, the focused area start to shimmer and with color fringes.

I am sure there will be firmware updates to get the zoom feature. Even the Olympus E-410 has a fine 7X and 10X zoom feature!

Oh, the pen F 38/3.5 is beyond words. If you already do not have, you should plan on getting the extension ring set so that you can go to 1:1 (and a bit beyond).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Currently, there is one listing on ebay for a T-mount adapter ($12.99) for the Samsung NX10. Good source for a NX mount flange.

Post Thanks / Like

I do get the impression that the 30/2 is a fine lens (too bad the review outfit did not comment or compare it with the "flareless" Pana 20/1.7).
    Not a complete review but at least a first idea about measurable data, DPR lens review.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Not a complete review but at least a first idea about measurable data, DPR lens review[/URL].

IIRC, the 20/1.7 data has already been tweaked. The originally posted version (now changed) showed performance over the Nyquist frequency.

Just because some throw out numbers does not mean they are "measurable" or real.

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, the 20/1.7 data has already been tweaked. The originally posted version (now changed) showed performance over the Nyquist frequency.

Just because some throw out numbers does not mean they are "measurable" or real.
    I'm sorry for that Vivek. I got the impression you thought it was too bad the review outfit did not comment or compare it with the "flareless" Pana 20/1.7.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My apologies for a truncated thought. I meant to point out that there were no "flare" comparisons there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon, That outfit continues to amaze me. Why would they choose a "normal" 50/1.4 lens to fit on the NX10 and a superb 50/2 Macro on an m4/3rds while making comparison shots at f/8? Couldn't they have used kit lenses? I went through that, especially the image quality part where they are saying that the camera does not show any details compared to Nikon and Canon DSLRs. Intriguing and would love to check that out first. If it is that horrible, I will have to ditch Samsung.

BTW, when I use manual focus lenses from 25mm to 45mm FL on the G1, I very rarely use the zoom feature. If the picture mode (and hence the EVF) is set with the highest contrast settings and in a B&W mode, it is fairly easy to focus. Once focus is achieved, the focused area start to shimmer and with color fringes.

I am sure there will be firmware updates to get the zoom feature. Even the Olympus E-410 has a fine 7X and 10X zoom feature!

Oh, the pen F 38/3.5 is beyond words. If you already do not have, you should plan on getting the extension ring set so that you can go to 1:1 (and a bit beyond).
    I was amazed at that choice of lenses -- given that Pentax K adapters are available for both the NX10 and the GF1, why not use the same Pentax lens on both cameras. They appear to have little or no understanding of the importance of minimizing the variables when doing this kind of testing.

All of the evidence I've seen suggests that Samsung's 30/2 pancake lens is indeed very good.

Unlike you, I almost always use the zoom feature for lenses from 20mm to 45mm but not so much for 55mm and above. So a proper implementation of the zoom feature for MF lenses is a must-have feature for me. If they don't fix it with a firmware update, I'll skip the NX10 and wait to see what Canikony offer in mirrorless cams.

I was able to pick up the Pen F extension ring at an attractive price some months ago. But, despite offering what I thought were quite high bids, I've twice missed out on getting the reversing ring set.

Currently, there is one listing on ebay for a T-mount adapter ($12.99) for the Samsung NX10. Good source for a NX mount flange.
    This USD 12.99 adapter is the only one I could find on eBay, but the description says "T Mount T-Mount Adapter Panasonic G1 GH1 Samsung NX10" and the label on the packaging says "T-Mount f/Olympus DSLR 4/3". So it's suitable for neither m4/3 cameras nor the NX10. Further on down the page it says: "For use with 500mm , 800mm , 420-800mm, 650-1300mm and telescopes." Or did you find a different one?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon,

That is the adapter (I have ordered one after checking with them). I asked the seller explicitly for the one for Samsung NX10.

I do not have much hope that CaNiko will do anything on the mirrorless front soon. Even if they do, Nike's is likely to be unusable for non propriety lenses.

Sony holds some promise and I will jump at anything they may offer with an EXMOR-R sensor. Anything else is going to be as good as the NX. This also is at least another 6 months away..

I am hoping that Samsung will come with a firmware to make the cam useful.

My primary interest in the NX10 is to use T/S lenses. I find the m4/3rds pretty much useless for this purpose due to the smaller sensor. I have had success using T/S lenses on Nikon's APS-C sensored cams.

While using T/S lenses (the way I use them and for the applications I intend to use), the zoom function just gets in the way.

If anyone offers a cam with even larger sensor, I am all for it. Pre-production models would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Last edited by Vivek; 8th April 2010 at 22:51.

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies for a truncated thought. I meant to point out that there were no "flare" comparisons there.
    Lol, who would trust their word on that anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

My impression this far is that the NX10 would be so much better with some simple firmware tweaks. (And so can the Panasonic G1.)

I'm not that interested in the NX10. I'm convinced that LIVE cameras will dominate the market in some years. But, for me the difference i sensor size is important and 60% larger area doesn't cut it, I can just as well stick to µ4/3. Some day somebody will release a FF LIVE camera and that will be the next important step for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a sample shot (shooting into the Sun, horribly exposed) showing flare from the NX 30/2 while the Pana 20/1.7, magically, was "devoid" of any flares.

It is a pity that Samsung sells hood for this lens separately.

But..it is better than Pana and Oly who do not make any hoods for their primes.

Lol, who would trust their word on that anyway?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not that interested in the NX10. I'm convinced that LIVE cameras will dominate the market in some years. But, for me the difference i sensor size is important and 60% larger area doesn't cut it, I can just as well stick to µ4/3. Some day somebody will release a FF LIVE camera and that will be the next important step for me.

As I specifically mentioned, real estate does matter for me.

OTOH, if there is a back illuminated sensored m4/3rds cam, I will snap them up without thinking twice about the costs.

If there is a APS-C sized back illuminated mirrorless cam available, even better!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

After reading the dpreview the Nx10 is disappointing on three fronts:

-viewfinder is small. G1 still rules. Tried using a GF1 with EVF and it was far too small to be of use with manual focus lenses, at least for me. Viewfinder size is at or near the top of the list in my book, whether it is film or digital.

-high iso didn't seem to be appreciably better despite the larger sensor. Seeing as that is the entire point of a larger sensor, this to me is a fail.

-no manual focus option for adapted lenses. So there goes the advantage of a smaller crop factor. Luckily this could be a pending firmware fix.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I specifically mentioned, real estate does matter for me.
    Most of the real estate difference is the difference in aspect ratios. Vertical difference pretty small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most of the real estate difference is the difference in aspect ratios. Vertical difference pretty small.
    Terry, I think that depends on how you define small. The NX10's sensor measures 234mm x 156mm whereas the G1's is 180mm x 135mm. If you crop the NX10 sensor so that has the same aspect ratio as the G1, the width drops to 208mm for the same 156mm height.

The "cropped" NX10 sensor is 15.5% wider and taller than the G1's. The area is 33.5% larger than that of the G1. I wouldn't describe that as small.

Although that way of doing the calculation does favor the G1, I think it's the fairest and most logical. But if you crop the G1's sensor to match the NX10's aspect ratio, the NX10's area is 69% larger than the G1's.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess I was thinking about the pixel density and crops. When I was looking at the review of the NX10 and the RAW comparison with the GF1 the 100% crops looked pretty close

"Like the Canon on the previous page, the Panasonic has a very light anti-aliasing filter (as hinted at by the moiré that appeared in the JPEG comparison of this scene). This is likely to be the reason that the Panasonic is also slightly out-resolving the Samsung. This isn't a huge upset though, despite the apparent disparity in pixel counts. If you take a look at the number of vertical pixels they're using to render this scene, you'll see that both are using around 3000 - the Samsung's extra two megapixels are being used to describe the left and right edges that the Panasonic's 4:3 aspect ratio crops off.

In real-world situations, this distinction would only be visible in fine details in the very largest prints."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnx10/page26.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess I was thinking about the pixel density and crops. When I was looking at the review of the NX10 and the RAW comparison with the GF1 the 100% crops looked pretty close

"Like the Canon on the previous page, the Panasonic has a very light anti-aliasing filter (as hinted at by the moiré that appeared in the JPEG comparison of this scene). This is likely to be the reason that the Panasonic is also slightly out-resolving the Samsung. This isn't a huge upset though, despite the apparent disparity in pixel counts. If you take a look at the number of vertical pixels they're using to render this scene, you'll see that both are using around 3000 - the Samsung's extra two megapixels are being used to describe the left and right edges that the Panasonic's 4:3 aspect ratio crops off.

In real-world situations, this distinction would only be visible in fine details in the very largest prints."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnx10/page26.asp
    Except that the comparison has been done in DPreview's typical sloppy and dishonest way: the framing is inconsistent, so that for the NX10 image the "around 3000" pixels is about 2860 pixels. In other words, "around 200" vertical pixels have been wasted in the NX10 shot. How difficult would it have been for them to have ensured that the vertical framing was the same for both cameras?

Admittedly, if one prefers a 4:3 aspect ratio, then this is all somewhat academic. But for someone who prefers the traditional 35mm 3:2 aspect ratio, the NX10's sensor does provide significantly more usable pixels.

As for the statement that the Panasonic GF1's very light anti-aliasing filter is "likely to be the reason that the Panasonic is also slightly out-resolving the Samsung", surely a contributing factor is that they used an Olympus 50 mm F2 Macro lens* at f/6.3 on the GF1 and a Pentax FA 50mm F1.4** lens at f/8 on the NX10. Talk about comparing apples to oranges. Was their true goal to show the NX10 in the worst possible light?

* "We've long praised the Olympus 50mm macro in our camera reviews as one of the sharpest lenses we've ever used, and true to form it turns in an exceptional performance in our studio tests... The lens is extremely sharp across the frame even wide open, and easily outresolves the L10's 10Mp sensor from F3.3-F7.1, suggesting plenty in reserve for future higher resolution models."
    ** "The [Pentax FA 50mm F1.4] lens is distinctly soft wide open, and the checkerboard crops reveal extremely low contrast with blacks rendered as blue-grey. Sharpness improves rapidly on stopping down; it's very good at F2, and excellent right across the frame in the lens's sweet spot (around F2.8-5.6) even on the K20D's 14Mp sensor."